Hood Hinges- Ram Air Match Regular Hood?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
When the hood is changed from stock to Ram Air, do the hinges need to be changed?

When the hood is changed from stock to Ram Air, do the hinges need to be changed?
No. Just the springs. I confirmed this with Don at OMS several months ago. Thanks Don. Chuck

No. Just the springs. I confirmed this with Don at OMS several months ago. Thanks Don. Chuck
Since when do we trust Don? lol. Thanks Don!

I know it is not "correct", but when I added the Ram Air stuff, I didn't change the springs, and they work fine, with no issues.

I know it is not "correct", but when I added the Ram Air stuff, I didn't change the springs, and they work fine, with no issues.
That is good to know. I think I got the weight of a RAM AIR hood somewhere. I will have to compare that with my standard hood weight...when I get the hood off.

When you do the hood weight add in ram air wt

Some standard springs are strong enough to hold it up.

Some are not.

When they are not the hood will stay open and then will close [ very hard ] when it decides it wants to close. Just be careful, I have seen them slam with enough force to mangle if not remove fingers.

I know of several guys using the new round repro springs with no problems

When you do the hood weight add in ram air wt

Some standard springs are strong enough to hold it up.

Some are not.

When they are not the hood will stay open and then will close [ very hard ] when it decides it wants to close. Just be careful, I have seen them slam with enough force to mangle if not remove fingers.

I know of several guys using the new round repro springs with no problems
I am using the round repo springs with no problems but my ram air hood is not functional. No duct work or anything like that.

My car has had the round springs and ram-air hood ever since I bought it in 1995. It's actually pretty difficult to close the hood as the springs seem plenty strong. I just picked up a pair of the flat wire springs. When I get them cleaned up and on the car I'll report back with my impressions. Maybe a week or two.

Back