302 Fan Shroud Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobster

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Hi everyone

I wanted to know if someone has some pics for me showing the installation of their fan shroud. If installed...

I have a 302 Windsor Engine, it had no fanshroud when I bought the car but I want to add one for better cooling.

So I bought this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/fan-shroud-302-with-air-conditioning-351c-1971-1973/p/FANS13/

But the radiator which is installed is a little bigger so it doesn't fit right.

If someone has a good advice for me I would be really grateful.

Can I recut the one I have, should I buy a new one or leave it off...?

cheers

Dennis

Not really ;) But also it would be a nice safety feature with no open fan blades ^^

Hi everyone

I wanted to know if someone has some pics for me showing the installation of their fan shroud. If installed...

I have a 302 Windsor Engine, it had no fanshroud when I bought the car but I want to add one for better cooling.

So I bought this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/fan-shroud-302-with-air-conditioning-351c-1971-1973/p/FANS13/

But the radiator which is installed is a little bigger so it doesn't fit right.

If someone has a good advice for me I would be really grateful.

Can I recut the one I have, should I buy a new one or leave it off...?

cheers

Dennis
Dennis, The problem sounds very odd unless someone installed a radiator not designed for your car or CJ sent the wrong part. If your car originally had air conditioning the shroud should fit. The non-AC 302 cars got a smaller radiator and shroud. I don't know if the pictures will help but, here they are. Chuck

PS Ignore the golf T. I was doing some testing the day the photo was taken.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

Thanks for the pics, they help a lot.

These are 2 pics how it looks now on mine but at this time without the shroud and no spacer installed.

SDC15687.JPG

SDC15842.JPG

This is a common issue with guys like us who have recieved the car second/third/fourth hand.

Here is my theory:

1. Prior owner had a larger motor, aka larger radiator, or prior owner decided to upgrade the radiator for extra cooling.

Most of us believe(including me...but it is a belief) that a larger radiator is better even though the standard/original will probably suffice.

2. You have 3 choices.

- Fabricate your own bracket to fit your current shroud. Run a pair of L brackets either along the top and bottom or right and left sides. Mount these to the engine bay or radiator somewhere, and then mount the shroud to the brackets. Paint them black so they don't look out of place, and I recommend L brackets so they will be stiff.

- Get a shroud that fits your radiator/fan.

- Get the proper radiator for your shroud.

This is why I never get anything done. I am too busy measuring so whatever I buy will fit correctly, and then I still forget something....and then I have to wait for the paint to dry... ugh.

Looks like your fan might be a bit bigger than the stock fan

If you measure and fan size is correct try the below proceedure to attach the shroud

1) Hold the shroud with 2 hands in the position it should be in aka two bolt holes on top side of the shroud on top and the lip side edge of the shroud on the bottom

2) start to lower shroud in place with one hand while rotating fan blade with the other gently guiding the fan into the opening

3) When the fan is completely in the opening in the center of the shroud centralize it (line it up) then slip the lower lip into place in the bottom of the radiator and use a nut and bolt on top to secure it into place

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I see your radiator is mounted to the OUTER radiator mounting threaded inserts.

On my car, my radiator (which is supposed to be for a 302) is mounted at the inner inserts.

Ok here it is: I am ....!!! :s

Today I installed the spacer and the new fan clutch that I damaged last time.

While the fan was not mounted I took the fan shroud and hold it against the radiator and... I fits! Ok, it did before I tried to recut it so it would fit!

The last time I placed it upside down... :mad:

So, one good news and one bad, the good is, the fan is running in good condition and smooth, the bad is I need to fix the fan shroud or buy a new one. :(

Thx for your answers and pics, they really helped me!

All of you have a nice weeekend!

cya

Dennis

Here is a short video with engine running.

I think it looks and sounds good.

Back