Mach 1 VS Sportsroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonEvenson

Reaction score
My Car
This is a 1 of 51, on the Marti Report 71 Sportsroof (Fastback) Mustang show car Grabber Green Mettallic Z code paint, 3W deluxe white interior, Matching #s 351 Cleveland and FMX auto transmission. This is a show quality car, that needs very little to be perfect. Updates are as follows: Edelebrock intake & Carb. Flowmaster Exhaust, Petronix electronic ignition, white face gauges with green LED'S, pioneer MP3/USB and much more.
Other than the front grille and mach 1 badges, what is the difference, both models could be ordered with all motor options, could a 1971 sportsroof be ordered with the naca hood and rear spoiler? On the Nada price guide why would a mach 1 be worth twice what a sportsroof costs? If my car is cloned like a mach 1, how much would that reflect the value? To be honest im kinda proud to own a sportsroof, seems like almost every 71-73 sportsroof has the mach 1 option:-/

The Mach 1 also had the honeycomb rear tail light panel and body color hood and fender extensions. '71 had the pop open gas cap and 71/72 had lower body side mouldings. I think the biggest difference is the hood, front bumper, dual mirrors, etc were all standard equipment on the Mach, and cost extra as options on the Sportsroof. As for value, it's not just a matter of the difference in the value of what was ordered in the early '70's, it's the desireability of what you have now, and "Mach 1" speaks to higher performance. A Boss 351 is a '71 Sportroof, but it's worth a bunch more that the $1500 or so option over a standard Sportroof with a 4V and 4 speed. Granted the engine is unique, but it's the rarity of the combo and desireablity that drive the value.

Steve

Other than the front grille and mach 1 badges, what is the difference, both models could be ordered with all motor options, could a 1971 sportsroof be ordered with the naca hood and rear spoiler? On the Nada price guide why would a mach 1 be worth twice what a sportsroof costs? If my car is cloned like a mach 1, how much would that reflect the value? To be honest im kinda proud to own a sportsroof, seems like almost every 71-73 sportsroof has the mach 1 option:-/
Ron, I don't believe anyone (on this Site) should be offended by your questions. To try and respond to your questions:

1. The main differences between the Mach 1 and the "regular" Fastbacks is the number of options that were available as standard equipment on the Mach 1.

2. Yes, the NASA (NACA) hood and rear spoiler could be ordered on the "regular" Fastback.

3. I would surmise that the Mach 1 is (was) worth more based on the "standard" options.

4. A "cloned" Mach 1 value would depend on the market, i.e. what a "Buyer" would be willing to pay. It is my understanding that there have been "modifys" that have brought a premium price above some restorations.

5. You are correct in that there were fewer "regular" Fastbacks (23.955) built than the Mach 1s (36,498) for 1971. In my opinion, that simply states that the Mach 1s were more popular at the time.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion, is One should buy, restore, modify or keep in "survivor" status their Mustang in whatever configuration makes them happy...that is the real "beauty" of the hobby:).

BT

So what is my car missing in order to be a mach 1, other than the grille? Would a Marti report state that it was ordered with the nasa hood, rear spoiler and honeycomb rear panel or is it safe to assume they were added later? The hood is stamped with 1971 markings and the spoiler has the factory 40yr bow in the middle:)DSCF2409.JPGDSCF2400.JPG

From what I understand a mach 1 was a sportsroof w/ certain sportsroof options made basic equiptment in the mach 1 package, but considering all the options availible you could have a sportsroof w/ more options than a mach or vice versa.

As far as rarity & value goes my guess is the rarest of all is the Boss which is a sportsroof and not a Mach

Ron like others said "no" offense taken. In fact I like my Mach I because it is a fastback not because it is a Mach I. Heck I've seen some "sportroof" cars I would have bought immediately, if I didnt already own my car. I'd beast up the motor throw in a 5 speed and live happily ever after.

The biggest problem or "difference" I see? Is that your using NADA. Other than that you have a fine car!!

rpmcarter brought up a good point, I have an M code and it doesn't bother me that the engine doesn't look stock, or it doesn't have an original paint job, or that it has Thunderbird seats instead of original seats. It also doesn't concern me that I'm going to replace the C6 with a built AODE. If I had a Mach 1 I would be a little more concerned about modifications that might affect its value.

From what I understand a mach 1 was a sportsroof w/ certain sportsroof options made basic equiptment in the mach 1 package, but considering all the options availible you could have a sportsroof w/ more options than a mach or vice versa.

As far as rarity & value goes my guess is the rarest of all is the Boss which is a sportsroof and not a Mach
I agree....Mach 1's just come with a bit more extra's that could be ordered on just about any fastback.

But what most forget....Rarest of our years was the H.O mustang..."And good example of mach 1's vs fastbacks".....Cause the boss...everyone down too little kids know what a boss is...Not everyone knows what a HO 1972 mustang is...Boss will always be worth more due to popularity first...Rareness second..Same with mach 1's... Everyone down too little kids know the name...And alot of normal fastbacks get labled as mach 1's..its cause of its flashy name...and flashy over the top style...It sets it apart....Nothing is wrong at all with a fastback...But being rare is not always the selling point ...but helps..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree....Mach 1's just come with a bit more extra's that could be ordered on just about any fastback.

But what most forget....Rarest of our years was the H.O mustang..."And good example of mach 1's vs fastbacks".....Cause the boss...everyone down too little kids know what a boss is...Not everyone knows what a HO 1972 mustang is...Boss will always be worth more due to popularity first...Rareness second..Same with mach 1's... Everyone down too little kids know the name...And alot of normal fastbacks get labled as mach 1's..its cause of its flashy name...and flashy over the top style...It sets it apart....Nothing is wrong at all with a fastback...But being rare is not always the selling point ...but helps..lol
I agree a Pacer and Gremlin is RARE but..................

rpmcarter brought up a good point, I have an M code and it doesn't bother me that the engine doesn't look stock, or it doesn't have an original paint job, or that it has Thunderbird seats instead of original seats. It also doesn't concern me that I'm going to replace the C6 with a built AODE. If I had a Mach 1 I would be a little more concerned about modifications that might affect its value.
I disagree with the thought its a MAch 1 lets not modify it. Mine is a 71 M code 4 speed Mach1 car originally and not sure if much is left untouched on my car, with that being said mine was not built to sale. So book value means nothing to me.

I agree a Pacer and Gremlin is RARE but..................

I disagree with the thought its a MAch 1 lets not modify it. Mine is a 71 M code 4 speed Mach1 car originally and not sure if much is left untouched on my car, with that being said mine was not built to sale. So book value means nothing to me.
Once again, I believe Roy has "hit the nail on the head" as it relates to our hobby. If You own it, YOU can pursue whatever facet of the hobby appeals to you.

My Q-Code '73 Mach 1 is also HEAVILY modified and I have owned it since its delivery from the Factory and the modifications continue to this date:). That does not mean that I cannot FULLY appreciate what those of you who are "into Restorations" have done or plan to do with your Mustangs because I really do.

...and THAT brings me to one of the main reasons I spend so much time and effort on this Site, the fact that ALL are welcomed and treated with respect.

BT

You may want to pull your spoiler and get a good look at it. That "sag" is an aftermarket trait because the were so light.
Nope i think its sagging cause there is so much metalflake in the paint:D

Im not too concerned if its aftermarket, just find it odd someone would add the honeycomb rear, painted urethane front bumper, and nasa hood with 71 stampings, That being said i am glad they did because it looks alot better with those options, but im kinda glad they did not change the grille to mach 1 cause i kinda like the old school horse and corral better:p (reminds me of my 67 i had in highschool)

, just find it odd someone would add the honeycomb rear, painted urethane front bumper, and nasa hood with 71 stampings,
Why not add the honeycomb rear, front bumper and the NASA hood?

They probably spent way more than that by painting it and striping it with non-origional colors.

(The stripes and lower body panels only came from the factory in black or argent (greyish white).

Also the origional "dark green metalic" was darker with less yellow tint.)

Was fold down rear seat only available on Mach I?
No, the fold down rear seat was available on ANY Fastback, per my references.

BT
True. My Sportsroof has a fold down, and little to no other options.

Came with a Ram Air hood on it, but don't think it's original (yellow base paint under blue, rest of car is blue).

FYI - just for the record - at least one 1972 Sportsroof was outfitted with the Decor Group (which can look very similar to a stripeless, base Mach 1 - optioned correctly, it also looks like a Spring Special '71 hardtop) that was supposed to be a Hardtop/Convertible only option:

1972_00061_05.jpg

Who knows whether this car went to sale, but the fact is that the car in the photo is a Sportsroof with the C-pillars airbrushed to represent a coupe. Note the higher Sportsroof quarter kickups.

-Kurt

The green car in the picture is a coupe

The only 72 sportsroofs to get the exterior decor group were 3086 sprint models

Back