Rear sway bar?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
Has anyone used an aftermarket rear sway bar? What brand did you use and how did you like it? More importantly, how is you suspension set up (quarter mile, road racing, winding roads, cruising)?

I have a '73 Mach-1 with a Cleveland, C-6, 600# front coils, 165# leafs, 1 1/8" front sway bar. I was considering the Total Control 3/4" rear sway bar. This car did not originally come with a rear sway bar. This will be a daily driver but will regularly see winding roads. Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
my rear sway bar sits hanging in the basement. I used one from a big mustang supplier that looks like this one

http://www.dallasmustang.com/popup_image.php?type=D&id=16588&title=SWAY%20BAR%20KIT%2C%201964-1973%2C%20REAR%2C%203%2F4%2C%20ADJUSTABLE&area=C

the problem is in how the end links (or in this case the lack of them) are designed. these hang from the frame and the bar sits in them, but with hard cornering you can pull them out. Make sure you look at one that had adjustable end links like maybe the addco

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=996+01

Thank you. So does that mean you don't use one at all? I've seen them in 3/4" and 7/8". My sway bar in the front is 1 1/8".

Hellwig shows that they make a rear sway bar but it fits all mustangs from 65-73. I haven't heard anything about them but you might want to give them a call and see if it can truly be installed into a 71-73.

I run 200 pound rate rear springs and 17 wheels with 255/40 profile summer tires. I have never had the rear end come loose unless I had the tires spinning from too much throttle and even then it comes loose predictably. With the sway bar there was less body roll in hard turns, but I don't believe the traction was any better. Hard to say. I may try the Addco or the hellwig as they look like better parts, but right now I am enjoying and thinking about how to improve traction in a straight line.

Hmm.. 200# rear springs? Is that for 1/4 mile? I had a '95 GT setup for road racing with full coil overs, torque arm and a pan hard bar. Firm but I loved it. Very different than coils and leafs. What spring rate did you run for "handling"

Cazper,

Go with the 1 inch front sway bar and 3/4 inch in the rear. It is recommended by performance tuning your suspension to replace the front and rear springs with the original specs (pounds). It is the sway bars that do the most of the cornering. Go to Eaton Detroit Springs for more info.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

mustang7173

My car currently has a factory rear sway bar which I believe was part of the competition suspension. Does anyone know where I can get factory replacement?? I've checked in all my usual suppliers...
To get a factory style you need to get a used one

All the repro ones I have seen do not mount / look like the original

The plates, end links and bushings are available

Don

Sorry I stand corrected addco shows a 7/8 replacement bar

Last edited by a moderator:
My car currently has a factory rear sway bar which I believe was part of the competition suspension. Does anyone know where I can get factory replacement?? I've checked in all my usual suppliers...
To get a factory style you need to get a used one

All the repro ones I have seen do not mount / look like the original

The plates, end links and bushings are available

Don
Don what is an original bar with new end links and busshings worth?

Thanks... I do really appreciate the barney style step by step instructions... I've looked at the addco website before and all I could find were after market, non OEM rear sway bars kits.
I have some original performance sway bars you can pm me with questions!

Back