Removable Hardtop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa73vert

Reaction score
My Car
73 Vert, owned since 85 almost all original (new roller block engine).
This time of year I find myself wishing I had a hardtop for my vert. The wind noise when the top is down is to be expected, but when the top is up I wish I could have a quieter ride and a sportier look.

Anybody else out there ever consider this....

This time of year I find myself wishing I had a hardtop for my vert. The wind noise when the top is down is to be expected, but when the top is up I wish I could have a quieter ride and a sportier look.

Anybody else out there ever consider this....
In my youth I worked at a Ford dealership in the early seventies when these cars were new, There never was a removeable hardtop option (like you see on a 'vette) being offered by Ford. I also never saw an aftermarket option. JC Whitney was about the only source for custom products at the time.

If you are industious enough you could find an old top frame from a junkyard to use as support to make a fiberglass cover. Transfer the header bow to the fiberglass to lock it to the windshield. However securing it to the rear without making a major modification will be a difficult task second only to the construction of the top. This is probably why one was never made.

This definitely would be a one of a kind customized item.

what about a tonneau cover like the T-Bird had? i saw a pic once many years ago of a custom one, but only one pic and it wasnt clear. That would have been a very nice option. Foose did a 56 chevy convert for Titus with a rear seat delete and a full metal rear deck to give it a roadster look, similar to the T-Bird. i cant imagine another car that would benefit from that body work more than the 71-73 mustang convertibles.

Sounds like a good excuse for a 2nd (hardtop) Mustang!:)

Even though they're not listed, might be worth giving these guys a call:

http://www.smoothline.com/

Ask for Jack.

If he doesn't have it, he probably would know if it is/was being produced anywhere.

They're a local company to me. Nice looking products.

You can tell him "Pete with the Tiger" sent you.

what about a tonneau cover like the T-Bird had? i saw a pic once many years ago of a custom one, but only one pic and it wasnt clear. That would have been a very nice option. Foose did a 56 chevy convert for Titus with a rear seat delete and a full metal rear deck to give it a roadster look, similar to the T-Bird. i cant imagine another car that would benefit from that body work more than the 71-73 mustang convertibles.

How about this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3659406459.html

The car is overpriced and I think it started life as a coupe.

- Paul

How about this:

- Paul
Interesting, that has the T-Bird roadster look.

How about this:

- Paul
An excessive in redundancy - it's too close to a factory convertible to have any point to it - and it's not very well executed either, thereby negating the effort of the streamlined restomod look.

Look at the feature lines between the quarter and the door. It looks as if someone beat the hell out of the crease:

3_Ge3_Kc3_L65_L85_K45_Ffd34a53667eb9f2c1229.jpg

I hope they started with a convertible too, for they would have spent most of their time reinforcing the unibody - rather than the bodywork - had they started with a coupe.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back