73 coupe budget build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe
1998 mustang
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
If any of you don't remember how rough my 73coupe was when I first joined I will briefly update. I bought my 73 f code 302 3speed manual coupe for $350 about 6 months ago from a family member as the car was still sitting beside our house laying dormant. Sat for 5 years and had been molested a bit. 3 flat tires, wheel fell off from untightened lug nuts so the drivers fender is trash. 3 snake skins and covered in leaves.

uploadfromtaptalk1351033746706.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1351033783076.jpg

The Carb was trash so I bought a new one :D

uploadfromtaptalk1351033837994.jpg

Changed oil, spun engine, changed plugs etc. Fired right up and purrs like a kitten. Freed up brakes and bled them.

uploadfromtaptalk1351033985249.jpg

Found out new tank put in 5 years ago turned into this.

uploadfromtaptalk1351034072849.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1351034099008.jpg

Went to a mustang junkyard that is usually overpriced but I thought what the hell let's see if I can bargain shop again. I bought a rear tail light panel for 50 bucks.

Before

uploadfromtaptalk1351034298159.jpg

After

uploadfromtaptalk1351034337969.jpg

Not perfect but its better than I had.

Purchased a new gas tank and sending unit for 200 bucks, I installed that and reran my fuel lines and put in 5 gallons and my gauge even works:D runs great.

I also found a fender I needed and talked him into letting me get it for 75 bucks, needs a little tlc but its solid.

uploadfromtaptalk1351034479549.jpg

And for a final pic of where the car is at in only 4 months time after sitting for 5 years, and $1000 later including purchase price.

uploadfromtaptalk1351034590730.jpg

I finally was able to safely drive may car today, or so I thought...the upper ball joint is broken on the driver side control arm but hey, at least its a start. My wife says " how did it do" I said well its gonna need ball joints and she shook her head and laughed while saying " its the gift that just keeps taking" haha.

Thanks for reading and I wanted to say thanks 7173mustangs.com and everyone here to keep me motivated and for all the help from everyone here. Thanks guys, I wouldn't be here without you!

uploadfromtaptalk1351034141079.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1351034186682.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find the fender and taillight panel?

OK I know where that is. What ever happened to Mustang Bill's?

They went out of business probably about 7 years ago. I liked mustang bills but now we only have oldominion and I guess I caught the guy on a good day. They have gotten expensive on some things.

do yourself a favor and get rid off that fuelfilter, the center glass piece is known to break easily , and if it does gasoline will pour over your hot engine and, well, you can guess the rest...

otherwise, keep it up..!

I had heard another guy bought Mustang Bill's then moved everything to a new building had a resto shop and then went back to being an engineer. Mustang Bill had some good stuff wish I could find the guy and see if he would part with some of the stuff.

do yourself a favor and get rid off that fuel filter, the center glass piece is known to break easily , and if it does gasoline will pour over your hot engine and, well, you can guess the rest...

otherwise, keep it up..!
I will remove that filter, Only reason I used it was because after sitting for 5 years i didn't want any trash getting into my new carb. I haven't been a fan of those either.

do yourself a favor and get rid off that fuel filter, the center glass piece is known to break easily , and if it does gasoline will pour over your hot engine and, well, you can guess the rest...

otherwise, keep it up..!
I will remove that filter, Only reason I used it was because after sitting for 5 years i didn't want any trash getting into my new carb. I haven't been a fan of those either.
X2 on the glass filter, a crack equals a car-b-que!:huh:

Gift that keeps on giving (taking...), that is the purpose of an old car. But you receive lots of smiles!
Shoulda seen her face when I showed her the little quart can of rust bullet and told her it cost $60 haha. Seriously she's been very supportive after begging me not to sell my 65 to make it through rough times even though I went ahead and sold it. It was that car that brought us together and we share a common love for mustangs, hell she even has the galloping horse tattoo on her. She knows what it means for me to try and relive childhood memories of restoring that 65 with my dad, and she's learning more about how cars work than she ever has. My next step is to replace my upper ball joints which don't seem too difficult on labor or wallet.:D

Hey everyone, I have some rather bad news... My wife may have developed ovarian cancer and it's beed a real struggle the past few months with all the headache, work, medical bills that i have not been able to do pretty much anything with the 73, and probably wont for a very long time. This madness has got me chewing up my emergency fund faster than I can replace. I have come to realization that I may just have to part ways with my project. it really pains me to have to do so but my wife has been really supportive of my project car, but its her life on the line and i only deem it fair that i return the favor. Oh, well, enough rambling on about the subject, I turn to everyone here at 7173 to offer their opinions on a good starting price i should set for this car.

basically its a beater but I have seem way worse. running 302 4bbl new holley carb, starts everytime. 3spd manual all intact runs and moves but it needs a master cyclinder to actually "drive" it safely as of now you have to pump the brakes. yes there is some rust here and there mostly inthe trunk area. but its pretty solid to be a project driver.

I have brand new fuel tank, sending unit, carb, gaskets, fuel pump ect. interior is ok but is missing passenger side seat. Anyhow I was thinking a fair price would be ~$1100 ? I know the parts is has are worth at least that alone I just don't think I would have the time to part it up and I just dont think I could physically rip my car apart. :(

Any opinions are appreciated, I appologize for the long post and I was going to make a for sale ad but its a really hard thing for me to do right now, I hope everyone could understand. thank you for your time.

- Daniel.

Daniel,

First my prayers and thoughts are with you and your wife. We sometimes get these reality checks on what is important in life. Family, Friends and happiness always come before cars in my book. There will always be more cars out there. Price it a little higher and I think you would be OK. I have expereinced that in the northeast cars do get a little higher. Get what you can out of it and spend time with your wife and family. Prayers and best wishes.

Daniel,

Sorry to hear the sad news about your wife, I really all turns out well, our thoughs an prays are with you guys.

I have seen worse around here for higher but they are not selling, if you feel comfterble letting it got for the $1100 and willing to take less, post it for $1500 and see who and what bites.

Matrixx,

First of all I'll be praying for the health of your wife and the strength of your family. My mother-in-law just had a hysterectomy due to cervial cancer. I'm no doctor, but that may be the surgery your wife may eventually need to get. She did have some issues with an infection but she really is doing very well just days after the surgery.

If you're going to sell the Mustang, you may want to list on the below site, it's cheap and the add runs until it sells:

http://www.mustangclassifieds.com/

As far as asking price, you've got a running 73 Coupe that looks to have a pretty strait body. I think your $1100 estimate is a good one. Just my .02 cents.

Many prayers to you and your family.

My granny went threw the same thing 13 years ago..i had to help her threw it...They scrapped it out and didnt have any more issues..She lived 10 more years...And passed away..Not from cancer thou...So i hope it all goes well sir and she makes a full recovery.

If i was closer...i would try and get the car from ya and keep it till you can afford her again...1100 it should sell pretty easy...Good luck sir.

Back