Front Hubs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I have kind of an odd question. Does anyone know;

Will hubs from a drum brake car fit disc brake spindles? Are the bearings the same? Is the spindle the same diameters and length? do they use the same seal?

I am asking this question because I want to go to the cobra brakes and am thinking the disc brake spindle have good mounting points for the brackets but the discs have integral rotors and hubs.

yes , they will fit

BUT you will have to use 65/66 drum hubs.. and you can use either the inside 71-73 bearing or the outside one, im not sure.. and the other bearing is usable from the 65/66 Mustangs..

i had originally stock discs on mine with a hub that was seperate from the disc, but using the hub from a 71-73 car pushes the wheel to far outward, a hub from a 65/66 drum car is 1/2" more inward..

here's a picture

layout, 71-73 discbrake spindle with a 65/66 drum hub

P1010424.jpg

2004 cobra brakes

P1010427.jpg

selfmade conversion brackets for the Cobra-brakes

P1010553.jpg

enlarged holes on the spindle for mounting the brackets

P1010540.jpg

i used the bottom hole of the spindle as well for mounting the calipers..

P1010554.jpg

Street or Track sells conversion brackets for this disc brake spindle/brake caliper setup,.. at the time i made this, there was nothing available for our cars or these spindles with this brake setup.., and i didn't want to convert it to drum brake spindles

i hope this helps..

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends which kit you are using. The MustangSteve brackets require drum spindles, but he may now have them for disc spindles too. I used drum spindles and the proper brackets. Be careful of earlier spindles as they use smaller spindle diameters and bearings. On my 69 Mach I used 70 drum spindles and hubs to get the larger diameter. If StreetOrTrack, the story may be different for what kits are available and how they work, but the spindle info stays the same.

Thanks for the input guys!

If the 71-73 hubs push the wheels out 1/2" that would be perfect. that would allow me to eliminate the spacers I need to run now.

My plan is to make my own brackets for mounting the calipers, steel is WAY cheaper than kits. :D I'd rather use the spindles I have if possible then I can just do the swap once I have everything built and sorted out.

Cars are just a good excuse to do metalwork!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back