Center console damage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
So I purchased a center console on eBay and the guy did a crappy job packaging it. I got it today to find it severely damaged. He offered a full refund or would work a deal with me. Looking for everyone's thoughts. These things are so hard to find, it pains me to junk it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059909.583992.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059926.023538.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059938.249018.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059959.564953.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059972.252495.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351059991.707230.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351060003.774702.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1351060023.195951.jpg

Man that really sucks, it looks pretty bad. If you can work out some price with the seller that is reasonable and think its repairable check out Qcode351mach video on how to repair plastic.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the video. I wonder if he has a follow-up video. I wanted to see what it takes to make it look clean. Do you think the super glue will hold in extreme heat?

I sent you a PM,

I would not use super glue, when I fixed a crack on the one in my car, I held it together with masking tape tight so I couldn't see the crack, and I sanded with 80 grit the plastic on the inside and fiberglassed it, its held up for 9 yrs now, with no sign of a crack.

I sent you a PM,

I would not use super glue, when I fixed a crack on the one in my car, I held it together with masking tape tight so I couldn't see the crack, and I sanded with 80 grit the plastic on the inside and fiberglassed it, its held up for 9 yrs now, with no sign of a crack.
Would you send me pics of the repaired area?

FWIW...

In your case, tell the seller you are keeping everything for your time and effort. You are not taking any time to wrap, protect, package and ship this piece of garbage back to him. Tell the seller to file a claim with UPS and you will have the item available for them to look at.

Then, try to make sure the clock works. And buy an aftermarket console to put the clock in.

(Somewhere in my mom and dad's house is a brand new 1973 Mustang console. Can't wait to find it)

=========================================

I often believe some eBay sellers package their stuff poorly on purpose.

The buyer knows they are selling junk and are concerned the buyer will probably complain about the condition once the item is received.

So they put it in a crummy box with crappy protection. Why UPS accepts the box is beyond me. The USPS is a little pickier.

Then, when the buyer receives the broken item, the seller blames it on the shipper, and files a claim. You don't get the item you expect, so you have wasted your time and effort, and maybe even passed up an opportunity to buy a good item. But the buyer gets full price for his crappy item.

This has happened to me twice over the course of 50 purchases. I make sure eBay and UPS are aware.

I sent you a PM,

Well I respectfully disagree If you use the exact glue I used & do the same thing..rough up the inside.. Without the mat you will break the plastic in a new place before the repaired crack will break..I have done them with fiberglass many years ago..As a matter of fact the one in the video was 1 of the ones done with fiberglass resin prior..about 20 years ago..I had no problem removing the mat from the prior repair..Not sure if you watched the video..I guarantee if you put a piece of fiberglass mat on the plastic & saturate the mat with cyanoacrylate your not getting it off.. it would have to be ground off Fiberglass resin..lift one edge of the mat slip a butter knife under it & it will come off in one piece.

Thanks for the video. I wonder if he has a follow-up video. I wanted to see what it takes to make it look clean. Do you think the super glue will hold in extreme heat?
follow up pics...The glue will hold better in high heat vs fiberglass resin

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-console-done-pics?highlight=console

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent you a PM,

Well I respectfully disagree If you use the exact glue I used & do the same thing..rough up the inside.. Without the mat you will break the plastic in a new place before the repaired crack will break..I have done them with fiberglass many years ago..As a matter of fact the one in the video was 1 of the ones done with fiberglass resin prior..about 20 years ago..I had no problem removing the mat from the prior repair..Not sure if you watched the video..I guarantee if you put a piece of fiberglass mat on the plastic & saturate the mat with cyanoacrylate your not getting it off.. it would have to be ground off Fiberglass resin..lift one edge of the mat slip a butter knife under it & it will come off in one piece.

I watched the video after I posted, I Agree with the Loctite Glue used in the video.

Please don't get me wrong, I won't used just "Super Glue" (crazy glue brand)..

the Loctite glue's are a much higher quality glue, and thats I would use.

also the higher quality glues have a chemical reaction with the plastic surface, thats why they don't break apart, it becomes part of the surface.

As for heat and fiberglass, I have used fiberglass and resins for many years in repairing boats for a boat maker here in RI, it all depends on the mixture of resin-hardner, on how good its going to holdup in heat, a boats engine compartment can reach 200+ degs, and the fiberglass doesn't break down, what happens is the resins gets soft, if the ratio of Resin-hardner is not correct, and if the fiberglass is not bonded properly to the surface and has air traped in the layers.

I sent you a PM,

I watched the video after I posted, I Agree with the Loctite Glue used in the video.

also the higher quality glues have a chemical reaction with the plastic surface, thats why they don't break apart, it becomes part of the surface.

As for heat and fiberglass, I have used fiberglass and resins for many years in repairing boats for a boat maker here in RI, it all depends on the mixture of resin-hardner, on how good its going to holdup in heat, a boats engine compartment can reach 200+ degs, and the fiberglass doesn't break down, what happens is the resins gets soft, if the ratio of Resin-hardner is not correct, and if the fiberglass is not bonded properly to the surface and has air traped in the layers.

Q do you think I should/could fix it? I paid 200 for it and he has offered to refund a 100. How noticeable will the repair be?

FWIW...

In your case, tell the seller you are keeping everything for your time and effort. You are not taking any time to wrap, protect, package and ship this piece of garbage back to him. Tell the seller to file a claim with UPS and you will have the item available for them to look at.

Then, try to make sure the clock works. And buy an aftermarket console to put the clock in.

(Somewhere in my mom and dad's house is a brand new 1973 Mustang console. Can't wait to find it)

=========================================

I often believe some eBay sellers package their stuff poorly on purpose.

The buyer knows they are selling junk and are concerned the buyer will probably complain about the condition once the item is received.

So they put it in a crummy box with crappy protection. Why UPS accepts the box is beyond me. The USPS is a little pickier.

Then, when the buyer receives the broken item, the seller blames it on the shipper, and files a claim. You don't get the item you expect, so you have wasted your time and effort, and maybe even passed up an opportunity to buy a good item. But the buyer gets full price for his crappy item.

This has happened to me twice over the course of 50 purchases. I make sure eBay and UPS are aware.

NO if it was packed poorly UPS will look at it and refuse to pay the claim.

They have lots of packaging guidelines.

If he files a claim usually UPS will come and pick it up for an inspection.

If they refuse the claim they send it back to the shipper.

USPS will never pay a claim. They just give you the run-around

As for eBay sellers - some people just don't pack well. They think their item is going to be handled with care.

Conveyor belts don't handle items with care when there is a jamb.

Any good shipper with tell you...

If you cannot drop the box from waist high without damage - don't ship it.

Q do you think I should/could fix it? I paid 200 for it and he has offered to refund a 100. How noticeable will the repair be?
You do have some good parts there

clock

wiring

lid

ash tray

Did you get it for 200.00 OR 200.00 + shipping ??

Might be a good deal if you could get it all for 75.00 - 100.00 total, but if it's 100.00 + a bunch of shipping $$ then no.

FWIW...

NO if it was packed poorly UPS will look at it and refuse to pay the claim.

They have lots of packaging guidelines.

If he files a claim usually UPS will come and pick it up for an inspection.

If they refuse the claim they send it back to the shipper.

USPS will never pay a claim. They just give you the run-around

As for eBay sellers - some people just don't pack well. They think their item is going to be handled with care.

Conveyor belts don't handle items with care when there is a jamb.

Any good shipper with tell you...

If you cannot drop the box from waist high without damage - don't ship it.
I agree...And i only seen UPS pay out once before..cause they dropped off a 3,000 dollar gibson custom shop guitar on a door step with out a signature...And they still was tring to weasle out of it...lol

...You do have some good parts there

clock

wiring

lid

ash tray...

I agree, especially if the clock works, try and find a working original clock in good condition under $100.00, I couldn't. For $100.00 I'd keep it, if for nothing else parts.

Jim

Jim

Wow, $100 for a broken console, no thanks. I sold and shipped one to Spain a few years ago and it made it through shipping. Consoles are a hard item to pack and still keep the shipping charges within reason. Harder yet to pack and ship without damage. But, that said, you originally/allegedly bought a good console, and that is what I would expect.

Back