bumper question??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91iroc

Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
i just put on a chrome bumper in place of my urathane one. why is there gaps by the fenders? i see other cars that have the chrome bumper but they sit flush with the body.

Did you install the fillers?

Item #D1ZZ-16554

71-72 FILLERS, FRONT BUMPER TO FENDER

Front bumper to fender fillers, pair. For cars with chrome front bumper. Price: $52.95

no i did not, but like i said i seen some of our cars have the chrome bumper flush with fenders no fillers. how is theres different?

All 71-2's with chrome bumpers came from the factory with the fillers.

You can cut and weld the brackets to tuck it in.

The only ones I have seen sit flush with the body were modified. Mine don´t fit flush either, they are wider than the car.

If they are repros, you can completely forget about flush fitting them, they look like they don´t belong on the car.

it can be done, but like others said, it requires some welding, especially if they are repros

on mine i found out that they were both f/r repros so i shortened the rear brackets so the bumper would sit closer to the body. i welded the brackets directly to the bumper and filled the bolt-holes, so no more bolts visible from the outside

then i cut some slots here and there,massaged it here and there so it would fit and look better ,rewelded it and came out with this

10052010080.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

for the front i cut out a 1" piece to make the bumper narrower,gave it the same treatment as the rear and welded it back together..

front.jpg

Back