stuck in a rough spot...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I dont know what to do, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on here..

I bought this 72 mach 1 a few months ago to restore it. Its my total dream car, 351c 4 bolt main 4v, toploader 4speed, fast back, etc etc. Knowing this is the last chance I'll have for a long long time to do something like this. I knew my wife was pregnant, but I'd still have 4-5 months to really get a jump start on it. my plan was to get everything done but the body, then after the kid was born I would slowly do the body. maybe get a few days a month to really work on it.

Then it all changed when my wife went to the hospital about a month ago, and the DRs put her on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. Im so glad everything is OK with her and the baby, dont get me wrong here.

I just dont know what to do from here. If I should sell it, or should it just sit here for years. it makes my sick to just let it sit here for ever. Now its just stressing me out. I sold my 04 f-150 to fund this, but with all the medical bills piling up now, Im broke!

so I have my dream car, but I have no time and no money do put into it. Dont know what to do here.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep it and restore later if you afford too.
I second that.

then you can restore it with your new Child, when he or she gets older.

The first time I worked on my car my son was 2-3 yrs old, we had a Blast.

this Past spring, I redid the car, now my son is 10 and and my daughter is 4, and we all worked on it, it was fun!!

Babies and project cars don't go together.

I think we would agree your family is more important than a car.

Or put quality car cover on it and wait some years you can teach your young one.

Its paid for, stash it away as they are only gonna go up in price. cover it and prepare it for a long storage. Things always have a way of working out in the end.

If you can keep it from rusting then store it. Collect parts over the years (make a list and watch for deals). Parts make great christmas and birthday gift ideas too. 'hard' parts first and then upholstry type stuff. You can always sell it later. It will only gain value.

Its paid for, stash it away as they are only gonna go up in price. cover it and prepare it for a long storage. Things always have a way of working out in the end.
+1 to that. I relenquished my first 73 when the second came along thinking it was "the right thing to do" Drove me nuts for 25 years. Don't get me wrong. FAMILY COMES FIRST in my house. But if I had it to do over, That thing would have got stored and puttered with along with kids to give them something to look forward to.

yeah, Ive been back and forth. Im thinking Ill keep it, I have a great space for it to sit.

wife wants me to keep it, I took her to prom in a 69 mach 1 q code 428 scj.. talk about a car I should have never gotten rid of. fail.

thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

Keep the car. What does sand paper cost? Rattle can black? or silver? a scaper? Simple Green is nearly a dollar at the 1.00 store..... FOR A GALLON!!!

You can take things apart clean them and paint them for YEARS... and have a nearly PERFECT car when it is time to do the body work years down the road. A PERFECT underbody perfectly clean...engine bay perfectly clean and painted....and to think its a 5.00 a weekend and sand paper, a rattle can of black and a scraper.

or I'll buy it for a thousand bucks.:D

Don't sell it. I'm sure their is allot of small projects you can do with little to no money. My brother detailed and restored all the small sub assembly's on his Boss 302. Like head light buckets latches bumper brackets latches etc etc. While keeping the car intact. If your wife says keep it that's half the battle.

I would never get rid of that car. You will have plenty of time to play with it. Every dad needs a hobby.

But, if you don't agree, I'll take it off your hands for $2750 cash. Same Day. No messing around. And you can rest assured it will be in good hands.

All sounds familiar to me :).

Bought my '71 before my shortly son was born, too. didn't have the cash at hand, borrowed to get it... without asking the wife. And I occasionally hear about that point, even after all this time.

But I knew I had to have it.

Always lamented several of my "first cars" being gone, and the same with a couple that Dad sold when I was a kid.

I haven't done much with this particular car, although several car/truck/bike projects have come and gone since it's purchase. Don't care, 'cause I knew how this was all gonna pan out.

I have collected 5 engines, 6 transmissions, and nearly all of the resto parts for the car in that time. Just yesterday I had the boy to where the drivetrain parts are stored, explaining to him which one does what... just in case something happens that I won't be able to get the car completed for him. He's a smart boy, and gets it.

He will turn 12 in the spring, and is always good help when I need it.

Can't wait to get the show on the road!

Good luck with whatever road you take with your car!

yeah, thats what Im doing, Ive been looking for deals on net for parts, with my christmas money, Im buying the hood and fenders.

I get a day week to myself, thanks to my mom and dad! So thats the car day. 12-14 hours at a time.

My mach 1 sat for 13 years before I tore it down in Nov 2010. There are times that I work on it 2-3 day a week. Then I don't touch it for a month.The last time I worked on it was the 1st week of Oct. It's on the back burner now while I repair my sand rail for desert season.Life will jump ahead of it from time to time and that's OK. I look at the calender and pick a day or weekend and make an appointment with my garage.:D Just keep focused it will pay off.

Mike

Back