Skinning a Hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
Found a 71 Ram Air hood in the JY that is in excellent shape on the top side, but has some serious issues on the underside frame structure. My stock 72 hood is solid all around. So, I was wondering, is is possible to skin the Ram Air hood and weld it to my stock framework? I ask only because I can practically steal this Ram Air sheet metal, not because I need more work to do.... Did these hoods share the same framework? Is it more of a PIA than it's worth?

Thanks.

Never tell a gearhead something can't be done.

Is it worth it?

Like David said the structure is different. You may be able to graft the sections that are different into your good frame and re-skin. It depends on how you like a challenge, how good you are at welding, and how much time you'd like to invest. Possible... Yes, practical... you be the judge.

Thanks, guys. Droptop, you're a man after my own heart. I'm going to see how cheap I can get the hood. If it's close to free, I'll probably take a run at it. I don't plan to use my stock hood anyway, so my worst case scenario is a fabrication experiment and a few more pieces on the scrap pile.

Mark

The stock hood is a hard re-sell, so it is a worthwhile experiment if you can get the RA hood cheap. I had found one similarly years ago but passed on it at the time because I didn't have a project for it. I am curious to see if it can be done. Good luck!

not worth it get an original tooling mach 1 hood. all the expense is in shipping.

the reproduction mach 1 plastic honey comb inserts are good, the reproduction ram air intake hood inserts

are GARBAGE try and find an original set.

if your going for a ram air system you will need the intake hood inserts(again the reproductions are CRAP) and not the plastic inserts the reproduction ram air system is Ok not great it needs some work to perform correctly and not bind.

If you go that way I do have a spare pair of used OEM hood inserts I'll make you a deal on.
Thanks, all. Got lucky with this one. Picked up the hood for $25 and very pleasantly found that the only real area underneath that needs any significant repair is the latch area. With a little sheet metal, that should be a small deal. There are a couple other small areas, but easily 90% of the underframe area is perfect...woohoo!

Jeff - Thanks for your offer, sent you a PM.

Mark

If you go that way I do have a spare pair of used OEM hood inserts I'll make you a deal on.
Thanks, all. Got lucky with this one. Picked up the hood for $25 and very pleasantly found that the only real area underneath that needs any significant repair is the latch area. With a little sheet metal, that should be a small deal. There are a couple other small areas, but easily 90% of the underframe area is perfect...woohoo!

Mark
Tried to insert a pic here but failed the first time. We'll try again...

Hood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've pondered the same thing--Ive got a couple stock hoods and a Ram Air hood with a bad bottom. If your going to do this I'd build a framework for the lower portion and tack weld it to it. Then remove the flat hood top metal from the lower metal/frame. Otherwise the lower sheet will twist and when you mount the upper nasa to it its going to be fubar.

Mark

Mark
Tried to insert a pic here but failed the first time. We'll try again...
Good deal.

Back