HELP! Anybody running shorty headers on a 302 or 351 W?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hi guys,

Today Karma really kicked my butt.

We were gonna swap the long tube headers for shorty ones that I bought some time ago from a member on another forum and they don´t fit.

Problem is that they are too wide and don´t clear the shock towers.

Now, you know that I live in Europe, so I need to make sure it actually fits before I order something, because I cannot send it back.

The other thing is, as some of you might know, that I have a new 351 Windsor (Ford Racing crate engine).

Here´s the problem: Our cars never came with that motor, so no need to shop for 71-73 351 headers, because they will be for the Cleveland, and no use shopping for 351W headers, because I don´t know if they will clear all the parts under the hood.

The rest of the exhaust is simply a stock Mach1 repro, that we will have to adapt to the headers, no problem there.

So, does anybody have shorty headers in their cars on a 302, or even better on a 351W? I know some guys here have have 351Ws in their cars, so....

Or can anybody recommend shorties for a 71-73 302 with enough flow capacity to match a 351W that is not too hotrodded?

Any help is appreciated because my car now blocks my buddy´s lift and the old exhaust is off and partly cut up, so time is an issue.

Thanks!

Hi Chuck, as usual you provide fast and good advice.

Thanks!

Whow, who´d have thought that there was such a thing for an engine swap?!? Cool!

Unfortunately they don´t list their dimensions and even admit on their specs sheet that it might get tight with the shock towers. That is what happened with mine already unfortunately. So, I guess that it would be hit and miss if I bought them.

But I won´t dismiss them already, I´ll keep them in mind.

I ran into these:

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-FF6-Small-Block-Ford-Blockhugger-Header-Set.html

Although not a special item for my application, it might work, as they are designed specifically to use as little room as possible. The good thing is that they have all the dimensions on the site, so I can measure for interference.

But, I am still open for any suggestions, tips and of course personal experiences.

P.S. Thanks Roy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the Hedman Header website, they offer Windsor headers for a '71-73. I am actually considering going to a Windsor myself for the simple fact that everyone has something different to say about the 2v/4v headed Cleveland's.

Anyway, I am using a Hedman header on my '68 Coupe and it fits and flows great. Though it's more of a mid-length than a shortie.

Mike look at JBA Performance in San Diego or Jay Bittle America. They build all kinds of shorty headers. I have a set of their shorty's on my GT for over 20 years now. They have NEVER leaked and still look like new.

Mike.

Knotts 2012 009.jpg

I have the JBA stainless steel ceramic coated mid length on my '71 convertible with a 302 and a C-4 automatic. I had no problems at all with clearance issues.

You may wonder why the ceramic coating on the stainless steel, they are coated inside and out and reduce temperatures under the hood. Stainless uncoated tends to turn a pink color, with the coating they remain bright and shiney.

1985 302 bored .30 ready fo install.JPG

Well thanks to you all guys!

I did order a set of 88658 from Hedman last week and my buddy installed them over the weekend. They fit with some little issues.

First the kickdown lever on the FMX needed to be bent a little to clear them.

Unfortunately the lever that prevents that the ignition key comes off only if the trans is in "P" needed to come out altogether as there was no way to make it work with the headers.

Plus they needed a little massaging on the driver side, as they touched the engine block preventing that the flange sit flush with the heads. Other than that, it worked fine.

The new repro exhaust has a 2 1/4 inch diameter and is way louder now than the old 2 inch with the long tube headers. I did keep the Edelbrock mufflers. I'll post some pics in the "What did you do to your car today" thread.

I'm glad it worked out for you... I always use Hedman headers. Love 'em.

Have you ever considered going to a cable clutch setup?

when i first started driving my mach 1 in HS, i had a 351w. i used hedman headers that sold at the time of 99 dollars. they are 1 5/8 and ran pretty good. (prolly 150 by now)

they are truly a shorty headers and you won't have ground clearance issues.

i'd say run them!

I might go to cable if I ever get around to my t5 swap.
cable is awesome but i have to adjust mine to work good, but with hydraulic, its self adjusting!!!

Headers for these cars seem to be a PITA. I have a set of longs but my zbar for clutch will not let them fit.
a cable clutch will not interfere with almost NO headers! i can snap pictures to show how.

Last edited:
when i first started driving my mach 1 in HS, i had a 351w. i used hedman headers that sold at the time of 99 dollars. they are 1 5/8 and ran pretty good. (prolly 150 by now)

i'd say run them!

cable is awesome but i have to adjust mine to work good, but with hydraulic, its self adjusting!!!

Headers for these cars seem to be a PITA. I have a set of longs but my zbar for clutch will not let them fit.
a cable clutch will not interfere with almost NO headers! i can snap pictures to show how.
Really? So how difficult is the conversion? Is there a way to have a cable on the factory 3spd or do you need a trans made for cable clutch.

I'm pretty sure you can get a bracket. I would speak with Bruce at Modern Driveline. He sells everything you need for a conversion (transmissions, clutches, kits, as well as individual parts). That's who I got my kit from for my '68. My '68 has a 393w with a TKO-600 and Hedman (more of a mid-length) headers. They it all fits very well. If it fits that well on my '68, it should fit just fine On a bigger 71-73.

i'd say run them!

Really? So how difficult is the conversion? Is there a way to have a cable on the factory 3spd or do you need a trans made for cable clutch.
if you have a 302 351w/c then all you got to do is buy a factory 5.0 bellhousing and you are set. you just need that loop in the bellhousing to have the cable pass thru.

I'm pretty sure you can get a bracket. I would speak with Bruce at Modern Driveline. He sells everything you need for a conversion (transmissions, clutches, kits, as well as individual parts). That's who I got my kit from for my '68. My '68 has a 393w with a TKO-600 and Hedman (more of a mid-length) headers. They it all fits very well. If it fits that well on my '68, it should fit just fine On a bigger 71-73.
ditto!!! i have his kit on my 73 460 stroker tko600 set up.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread and taking it in a new direction... My engine guy says these BBK's are great shortys..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-1515/media/images

Really thick flanges (3/8in), and I really like the look. And they are cheap at only $190 a pair!

Does ANYBODY have any experience with them on a 302?

Thanks,

Jay

Back