4 wires to go, alternator and headlight harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello,

I'm almost done with my rewiring project. The 73 vert wiring had been hacked by the PO and Midlife set me up with the correct harnesses. Basically replaced all the wiring except for the taillight harness.

I'm found out that the car didn't have the needed junction block near the voltage regulator and I have that now. .From the factory the car didn't come with gauges, just idiot lights. I'm now using the correct harnesses for all gauges. I have four wires left to connect but I'd like to double-check on where they go and connect.

This first pic shows the two remaining wires from the alternator. One is solid yellow and the other is black with an orange stripe. I believe the solid yellow goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid and the black and orange goes to the junction box.

Here's a pic of the wires from the alternator:

28wng1t.jpg

The other two wires come from in from the headlight harness and consist of another black wire with an orange stripe. I believe this goes to the junction box where it's connected to the other black wire with orange stripe from the alternator. The final wire is yellow with a black stripe (I think it's a black stripe, or it's 40 years of grease/dirt) and is marked "Fusible Link 14 ga". I believe it goes to the positive or battery side of the starter solenoid.

Here's the pic of the wires from the headlight harness:

6rk9zn.jpg

Did I get it right? Thanks for any guidance.

Scott

This may help. Chuck
Chuck, thanks for the pic. It looks like I got part of it right, the two wires that are black with the orange stripe meet at the junction block. It looks like the wire coming from the headlight harness that is marked with the fusible link goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Is that right?

It's hard to tell from the picture but does the solid yellow wire from the alternator with the ring connection also end up at the junction block?

I'd sure hate to screw up these!

Scott

This may help. Chuck
Chuck, thanks for the pic. It looks like I got part of it right, the two wires that are black with the orange stripe meet at the junction block. It looks like the wire coming from the headlight harness that is marked with the fusible link goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Is that right?

It's hard to tell from the picture but does the solid yellow wire from the alternator with the ring connection also end up at the junction block?

I'd sure hate to screw up these!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
The yellow wire with the ring connector goes to the solenoid large post with the + battery cable. The 3rd wire you see on the terminal block in my picture is to power an after market ignition box. Sorry for the confusion. Chuck

The yellow wire with the ring connector goes to the solenoid large post with the + battery cable. The 3rd wire you see on the terminal block in my picture is to power an after market ignition box. Sorry for the confusion. Chuck
Okay, so on the + side of the solenoid will be both yellow wires, one from the headlight harness with a ring connector marked fusible link AND the solid yellow from the alternator.

I know if I screw one of these up, I'll toast it for sure!

Scott

Okay, so on the + side of the solenoid will be both yellow wires, one from the headlight harness with a ring connector marked fusible link AND the solid yellow from the alternator.

Scott
That is correct. The connections I mean, not the toast it for sure part. Chuck

IMG_0702.jpg

My car does not have the junction block, it just has all the wires going directly to the solinoid- does this hurt anything?

I know I regularly wind up having to take off all the wires in the ignition system and clean them or else the gremlin that lives in my car's elecrical system awakens and the car won't start.

Was once stuck up in Wisconsin where I replaced the battery, solinoid, voltage regulator, starter and all the thick cables and the car still would not start. Sat around a few hours thinking of what else might caouse the malfuction and how to get tthe car somewhere to be fixed and tried ti again and it worked like nothing happened.

Have had weird stuff like that a grand total of 4 or 5 times.

The various connections are different for a ammeter gauge and an idiot light gauged dash/center console. The ammeter system requires the junction block; the idiot light does not use a junction block.

The $%#*^&% schematics for a 73 combine both systems on a single page without differentiating them and without a car as a template, I cannot tell which wire system is which.

Scott

Still fighting that short. Chuck, is yours a 73? Are we 100% sure that on a 73 with gauges both yellow wires go the the + side of the solenoid and that both black wires with orange meet at the junction box?

Scott

That is correct. The connections I mean, not the toast it for sure part. Chuck

Hmmmmmm that's really so good and helpful.

Back