How will this effect our cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
Washington — The Environmental Protection Agency on Friday rejected a request from eight governors and nearly 200 members of Congress to waive requirements for the use of corn-based ethanol in gasoline...

Automakers have clashed with ethanol advocates and opposed boosting the percentage of ethanol. They argue that higher concentrations of ethanol in gasoline — which may be necessary in order to meet stepped-up minimums for annual ethanol usage — can harm engines in most vehicles on the road today.

This year, the Renewable Fuel Standard requires the use of 13.2 billion gallons of corn ethanol, the production of which could require using more than half the country's corn crop, up from 5 billion gallons in 2007.

Next year, the standard increases to 13.9 billion gallons. By 2022, the U.S. must use 36 billion gallons of biofuels, though 21 billion gallons are supposed to be from advanced cellulosic ethanol.

To meet the increasing amount of ethanol required under the law, the EPA has approved use of a higher blend of ethanol fuel called E15. It is 15 percent ethanol, up from the E10 at most pumps today. Just a handful of stations currently sell E15...

The more concentrated blend is only approved by EPA for vehicles from 2001 and newer, because automakers say E15 will corrode the older engines.

ixzz2CVnaCjLy

Gasket failure, rubber parts failure, possible jet size increase, less MPG, condensation, and corrosion. BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A GREAT IDEA:mad:

And then there is the issue that corn is used to make a lot of FOOD! And crop yields are down. The things being done by departmental decree and executive orders rivals the illogical, counter-productive "laws" being passed by our self-serving and incompetent congress and being affirmed by an activist populated supreme court. When I have the time I'll share how I really feel about the matter:). Chuck

Ah come on Chuck tell me how you really feel about it.;)

An EPA spokesperson made the statement that "taking measures to reverse global warming is more important than keeping a few old cars on the roads"

We're just along for the ride, hopefully over the coming years there will be gas stations that still offer present day "global warming fuel" to keep our cars on the road.

Jim

Ah come on Chuck tell me how you really feel about it.;)

An EPA spokesperson made the statement that "taking measures to reverse global warming is more important than keeping a few old cars on the roads"

We're just along for the ride, hopefully over the coming years there will be gas stations that still offer present day "global warming fuel" to keep our cars on the road.

Jim
Those promoting the need to be "tolerant" are very selective about what they want others to tolerate. Evidently their list of things to be tolerated are different from mine. I don't know how long it will last but, 80% of the gas stations in my town still sell 100% gasoline. They introduced 10% ethanol here about 3 years ago without posting it at the pump. Older cars started having problems almost immediately. The cause was soon discovered and business was booming for the two stations that had 100% gas. The others soon figured out that to stay a float they needed to switch back to 100% gasoline. The market process does work when government allows it to do so. Chuck

I'm not aware of any ethanol free gas stations in my area, if there were they would be getting my Mustang business.

Jim
There is a website called pure-gas.org that lists all of the ethanol free gas stations in the country. There is also an Iphone app called pure gas that gives you the closest ethanol free stations wherever you are. Comes in especially handy during long trips.

I would guess they make the app for other smart phones but I do not know for sure.

I'm not aware of any ethanol free gas stations in my area, if there were they would be getting my Mustang business.

Jim
There is a website called pure-gas.org that lists all of the ethanol free gas stations in the country. There is also an Iphone app called pure gas that gives you the closest ethanol free stations wherever you are. Comes in especially handy during long trips.

I would guess they make the app for other smart phones but I do not know for sure.
Thanks I tried to pull up pure-gas.org but it said the site was down. Doing a little research I found that that Washington State is now one of ten States that "requires" E10 gas at all stations. I'm betting we'll also be one of the first States to require E15 gas, which will not be good at all for my 351C.

Jim

Jim

Thanks I tried to pull up pure-gas.org but it said the site was down. Doing a little research I found that that Washington State is now one of ten States that "requires" E10 gas at all stations. I'm betting we'll also be one of the first States to require E15 gas, which will not be good at all for my 351C.

Jim
Luckily there are still quite a few stations selling 100% gas but who knows how long it will last.

It will affect our repair bills.

Thankfully I live in Oklahoma and we could give two shits about the environment. We will have regular gasoline until the earth crumbles and falls apart

Ethanol...using more of earth's natural, agricultural land and limited resources, keeping inexpensive food out of the hands of poor nations, to produce less energy per weight and volume and at significantly more cost than petroleum products.

Kind of sounds like our government. Except our government produces less then zero energy.

Ethanol-free gas is typically found at marine stations, so look for where folks take their boats. Living at or near the coast, I have at least 6 stations that sell ethanol-free gas. Once you are more inland, look for places around recreational lakes and such for marine services.

I just saw pumps passing though Yuma, AZ today with 100 and 110 octane leaded racing fuel, of course marked "off road use only". Stupid me didn't look at the price--I was so busy explaining what it was and why it was special to my boys. However, my wife saw the 100 octane was $7.99 per gallon, ouch. The regular unleaded of course had 10% ethanol.

I just saw pumps passing though Yuma, AZ today with 100 and 110 octane leaded racing fuel, of course marked "off road use only".
When I bought my first Holley from Summit Racing they at first

refused to accept the order because I live in California. I was

ordering online so I just kept hitting the "pay" button and the order went through. The second Holley purchased from Summit simply came with a tag "off road only". This is your basic Holley 4150 which my 1971 California shipped car could have come with. I was told to

carry a tag in my car that had a yellow diamond with a "3" in the

center. 110 octane leaded, now we're talkin'.

mike

Back