American Racing Defective wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get them new?

What in particular is out of spec?

Did you get them new?

What in particular is out of spec?
Bought new. 1 was display still wrapped, other was still in box from american but both a few years old for another project that didn't get done . The wheel rims are out of round excessovelr so computerized equip won't even use them.

Gonna see the speed shop guy Monday:(

In the past I sold AR wheels through the '90's, and now sell reconditioned OE and new OE "replica" (imported) wheels at work.

Rarely do I ever see them be perfectly true, whether they're steel or alloy wheels. They almost always seem to have some runout (left/right) or "hop" (up/down) to them. That goes for all styles and manufacturers I've seen.

Now, to what degree of QC they have to pass through, that is a question. What is "maximim allowable" out-of-round? I don't really know.

I'd solidly bet most of the returns from the shops that I sell to to are from the guys that spin check the wheels bare before mounting. They seem to be the picky ones (which is nice to see). Most shops just jam the hoop on the rim and shoot it down the road...

My most recent wheel purchase (17x9" Saleen SC replicas for my Fox car) had both rears balance perfect, with zero weight added. Even the fronts took very minimal weight (.25/.50).

I was impressed.

Hopefully AR will take care of them for you (ie. "real" customer service) since they obviously have no mileage. I'd guess whatever the infraction is could be pressed back into tolerance. If not, maybe one of those mobile gypsy wheel repair guys that are often found at car dealerships can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a set of new AR wheels 10 ago. Got a deal on them and found out why. They were out of round and never did balance out just right. Just used them for winter so I guess that was OK :huh:

Make sure they use a direct lug adapter on the machine and don't use a cone adapter and they should be able to balance them.
:)Well you win. Americas discout tire did it wrong, the we had the checked at a regional chain that put no thought into it and said they were bad. Researched what "hub centric - NO" meant and what I had to do. I went back to the regional chain and got a manager and went over it. He knew and everything went great showed me the adapter they would use. All went well.

I have 2 more wheels and tires coming in a week from discount tires. I will have them pay me for what I spent then I will show them how to use their equipment. Lesson here is you can't assume those who should know will know.

Jenny

How true... there are way too many inept "professionals" out there. The main issue is someone who doesn't inderstand trains someone who doesn't know. As a technical trainer I see the light come on all the time for folks who have a great deal of experience.

Rant over :D

Is it just me, or does anyone else realize, this is the 21st century? We are still having an issue balancing tires?

For some reason, I don't remember ever having a problem with the ye'ole bubble balancer. I am sure many of us took our brand spanking new bias ply tires out for a 120MPH ride without incident. I am sure a few of us did have an incident, but it was probably not tire balance related.

Lug nut tightening related, yes. Balance related, no.

In fact, I wonder what year the Big 3 stopped bubble balancing tires?

Machines can't read bubbles so it isn't cost effective. All about the dollar in the CEO's pocket

Back