• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 1972 Sprint Convertible - 2F03F184260 - SOLD!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somd_mustangs

Reaction score
My Car
1965 Convertible
1972 Mustang SPRINT Convertible $21,500 - SOLD!!

At last count, there are less than 40 of these cars left, and of those only a handful are still in nice original condition.

The rest have been restored, are being restored, or are in marginal condition.

You would be hard pressed to find another one of these cars in this original condition, and more importantly, an owner willing to sell it!

I simply have too much stuff and need to thin out the herd.

I prefer to sell this locally (Washington DC area) via a face-to-face cash transaction to a member of the 71-73 community, vice eBay, CraigsList, etc.

I've set what I think is a fair price for both me and the potential buyer. As you might guess, these pass hands so rarely it's hard to get a good handle on market value. Again, all that have been sold in the past few years that I'm aware of have either been restored or in poor shape.

Please email me at "somd_mustangs [at] hughes [dot] net" for more info and a link to a photo gallery on Shutterfly.

Overview:

o Car #5 of the 50 Sprint convertibles built specially for the 1972 Cherry Blossom Parade in spring of 1972 (use search engine on "1972 mustang sprint registry" and follow convertible links for more info)

o 100% guaranteed authentic Sprint with documentation - VIN is enough, but have a lot of paperwork too

o 302-2V A/T, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Power Top, AM radio (all 50 cars were equipped the same)

o (mostly) Unmolested "survivor" car

o Always garage kept

o 3-owner car, purchased from daughter of original owner by myself in 2007

o No rust (ever), solid car

o Original owner had Ziebart treatment a week after buying the car in 1972

o Original seat upholstery in nice shape!

o Less than 32,500 miles (believed original)

o Currently registered & insured & roadworthy

Potential:

o Needs TLC, mostly cleaning up of rustproofing & detailing engine bay

o Passenger door & both fenders need repainting

o Absolutely solid car for a minimal effort restoration, but it would be ashame to lose the originality. Perhaps a "sympathetic" restoration is in order.

o Great parade car

Recent work (Summer-Fall 2012):

o New whitewall tires

o New rear wheel cylinders & shoes (originals included)

o New hydraulic top motor, cylinders, and hoses (originals included)

o New shock absorbers (originals were replaced long ago with "Sears Specials")

o Rebuilt original 2V carburetor

o New repro rear bumper ("original" 1973-style included - was probably replaced at some point)

Work in 2005-2007 by previous owner

o New radiator

o New master cylinder

o Refurbished front disc brakes

o New heater core

o New tailpipe

New parts included, not installed:

o Carpet - I don't like the color, a little too bright blue.

o Deluxe white door panels

o Deluxe white door pull handles

o New repro rear deck lid weatherstrip

o Full stripe kit from PGI (looks very nice, correct colors & dimensions)

Mechanical/electrical:

o Runs very nicely, smooth & quiet with typical 302-2V power (i.e., not a lot compared to my Boss 302!)

o Everything works

o Missing the spare tire. A nasty one can be pulled off my 1973 parts car.

--> Or you can take the whole car (100% complete) for $500 with purchase of the Sprint ;)

Body:

o Original paint on hood, driver door, both rear 1/4 panels, deck lid, tail panel & extensions

o Passenger door and fender repainted and fading to slightly yellowish color

o Driver fender repainted

o Slight "push-in" dent on left rear 1/4 from bumper impact I suspect (see photo gallery)

o Driver door hinge is worn and sags. This is at odds with the 32K mileage but I suspect this was a multi-short distance car, not highway mileage.

o Original stripes. Hood stripes have some cracking as expected

Top:

o I think it's original, has some light cracking of the "piping" at fold lines (see photo gallery)

o Boot included, has some yellowing

o Spent most of it's life with the top down while stored in the garage

o Bottom canvas of the rear window has separated from the top - it's still attached to the window however and window doesn't "flap in the breeze"

Interior:

o AM radio still works great

o Original carpet - has some wear and fading

o Door panels have some cracking, "woodgrain" inserts in great shape, lower carpet worn

o Dashpad has no cracks or fading

o Steering wheel is solid with no cracks

o Rear 1/4 trim has some slight yellowing from sun exposure

o Seat belts are original but show light wear

o Original seat upholstery is in excellent shape, drivers seat has a tear on the bottom at the back, hidden when the seat is up (see photo gallery). This should be fixable by a competent shop, I don't have anyone I trust to do this locally though.

Note: the seat and door panel upholstery is unique to the 50 Sprint convertibles. There is no seat material or correct repro seat covers available anymore. Period. Although the MCA has approved the TMI standard Sprint uphosltery, having the real deal is a big plus!

Documentation:

o 3 sets of keys on original Ford blanks - 2 sets are probably the originals

o Original invoice from Steuart Motor Company, Washington DC

o Original receipt for certified check payment

o Original window sticker (not a repro or copy)

o Customer copy of the purchase order from Steuart Motor Company

o Original "Consumer Information" sheet describing Low/high speed passing times, braking distance, tire pressure, etc.

o Copy of the "Special Equipment Parts List" for special order 17-0518 (Sprint convertible package) dated 02 March 1972

o Original build sheet found under passenger toe-board carpet (I've misplaced this however. It's here somewhere!)

o Original "Ownercard" Warranty Identification with metal tag

o Original Owners Manual

o Original temporary registration card for DC (1972)

o Original receipt for Maryland MVA registration (1972)

o Original newspaper article from the Washington Evening Star "Wheels" section from 14 April 1972 announcing the "50 Parade Sprints" offered for sale to public

o 1972 Consumer Information pamphlet for "Ford Torino, Mustang, Maverick, Pinto, Thunderbird" circa 3/72

o 1972 Owner Maintenance and Light Repair Manual - this has a sheet taped in it with a list of service dates and mileage, last date is 1991 with 28404 miles. The various entries across the years are the only substantiation of it having 32K original miles, although this is backed up by various random service receipts.

o Random service receipts - most from early 70's and then recent 2005 era repairs. Rest were either lost or else the owner performed their own maintenance, as I suspect.

General:

o The original owner, Ed Landry, was a safety engineer for the Dept. Of Transportation and was very meticulous about maintaining the car. He forced the Ford dealer to do a ton of light repairs under warranty within the first few months of receiving the car (weatherstrip, stripes, hydraulic lifters, etc). I imagine Steuart Motors locked the door, turned off the lights, and hid when they saw him coming.

o The second owners were Ed's daughter and her husband, who kept the car maintained and garaged but didn't use it much in the approx. 15 years they owned it.

o The car had approximately 27000 miles in 1984 when it failed the newly-instituted Emissions test

o The car had approximately 29000 miles on it in the early 1990's when acquired by the second owner

o Car had 31,800 when I bought it in summer of 2007

o I've only driven it about six hundred miles since 2007. It needs to be out in the public eye, not a hangar queen in my garage.

Thanks for looking,

Jay

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

Engine_1.JPG

Interior_1.JPG

Interior_3.JPG

Interior_8.JPG

DSCF0027.JPG

Last edited:
177_7734.JPGI'd buy it but then what would I do with two of them. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I looked at this sprint after I bought mine and it is a nice original car that needs a little TLC. When I bought mine it was in similar shape except for more miles. The seats material is key to these cars as it was unique to the convertibles. The reproduction TMI material is not comfortweave so finding one with the original seats is good shape is golden. I have some extras seat material I'll give to whoever buys the cars to fix the small tears in the seat. I am to blame about the spare tire - it was the original F70-14 but it's in my trunk thanks to Jay. :D

If anyone has any questions about the 50 convertibles you know who to ask. I hope this car goes to a good home to someone local so I can have a twin to drive next to me in parades. Here's a picture of our cars together before Jay bought it.

Rex Turner

PS - Jay - send me a copy of the build sheet when you find it - I could not find mine when I replaced the carpet and a copy the Original newspaper article from the Washington Evening Star "Wheels" section from 14 April 1972 announcing the "50 Parade Sprints" offered for sale to public. I thought I had all the sprint stuff that was out there. :s

Hats off to Rex for finding this car for me in the first place. Most of the pics in my "Intro" thread were taken by Rex (you can see bits of his car(s) in background).

Somebody in the DC area please buy this to keep Rex company at shows & parades!

Here's some pics of various docs I have, including the short newspaper article. I did find the build sheet - oddly enough in a folder clearly marked "1972 Sprint" with all my other car docs. I thought you all might get a kick out of this stuff. It all goes with the car, except the article which I promised to Rex ;)

Last pic is of the maintenance sheet the original owner kept, which is really my only basis for claiming 32K original miles. After it passed to the daughter in the 90's it was rarely driven. It had a barely worn set of bias ply Firestone F70-14 radials on it when I got it in 2007, I left them in place but it just started handling weirder and weirder, so I finally replaced them a few months ago with new steel-belted radials. I probably should have kept the old tires, I guess.

Here's link to more comprehensive set of photos:

http://sprintconvertible1972[dot]shutterfly[dot]com

substitute . for [dot]

email me for info, questions etc, I don't check the PM's very often.

Thanks, Jay

Xdoc0007.JPG

Xdoc0009.JPG

Xdoc0012.JPG

Xdoc0016.JPG

XDoc0001.JPG

Xdoc0005.JPG

I prefer to sell this locally (Washington DC area) via a face-to-face cash transaction to a member of the 71-73 community, vice eBay, CraigsList, etc.
with a total of 3 post to sell his car I don't respect his morals to "our" community as a validation to his "CONCERN" for the care of this car or our community.

just my piece of mind on the types that DO this!!!! and for the record his car IS NOT worth half of his price!!! I have little respect for these types. my bet is if you bought this car you'd find he is a flipper.

Last edited by a moderator:
RPMCARTER: I'm not sure what set you off (maybe a Sprint ran over your foot once?) but I've owned this car since 2007, after a 10+ year search. It's the second Sprint CVT I've owned. I am not a flipper. I currently own a number of vintage Mustangs and this is only the second I've had for sale in 10 years. Sure, I've only been on this site for a short time so if you object to my claiming this as "our community" I can see your point. There was no disrespect intended. But I've owned a crap-ton of Mustangs over the years and I steadfastly lay claim to being a member of the Mustang Nation so to speak. I literally grew up in a 1965 Mustang and not a day goes by that I don't drive one or stub my toe on one.

Everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, and as we all know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you don't think it's worth the asking price, don't buy it, simple as that. The only reason I stated I would like to sell to "our 71-73 community" is that I figured there would be more appreciation for it and it would be treated accordingly (no Torque Thrust mags and fuzzy dice, please). I want a face-to-face so I feel comfortable it goes to a good home, and those transactions are typically a lot easier and safer for both parties. As for the DC area - many of them stayed in the area for quite a long time and it would be nice to have it stay here. You would be doing pretty well if you found a standard 1972 convertible in this original, rust-free garage-kept condition with this documentation at this price. Regardless of opinion, several of these have sold for well over 40K restored. Quoting Forrest Gump "and that's all I have to say about that."

I'd like to remind rpmcarter and all members we have rules regarding negative posts regarding classified ads. The full link is here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-classified-selling-and-buying-some-things-you-should-know

and here is an excerpt:

Buyers, it is up to you to research the seller of an item that you are interested in. 7173Mustangs.com can not and will not be held responsible for any deals gone sour. We will help where we can but as a forum user, you are buying and selling at your own risk. Again, if you don't like a seller's asking price, either move on or you can politely make a counter offer. Do not ruin someone's classified ad by posting your negative opinions. If you must say something to that seller, do it via PM and not in the public thread.

I guess my blessing of this car was not enough. :rolleyes: As Jay mentioned, he owned another sprint - see pictures in this post and needless to say he would have broke restoring that one. Just because he recently joined the forum does not mean he just dropping in to try to sell a car. It's hard to believe but not all 71-73 owners visit this site almost every day like some of us. Anyway, given what he paid for the car, the works that has been done and the parts he has, this car would sell very quickly to an overseas buyer. At the risk of offending our European sprint conv owners, Jay knows I would like to see a "local" buyer for purely selfish reasons. For whatever reason it has difficult to get other sprint conv owners to participate in parades or shows in the DC area. Most of the ones in Maryland are pretty beat up. This car has great potential as an stable investment and it is a piece of history. I'm guessing it may have never even left the state of Maryland. It's never going to be worth big bucks but with the limited number made there just are not that many that come up for sale in good condition.

Thanks for listening. I've had my 2nd sprint conv for 9 years and my 2nd 72 Mach1 for 31 years.

Rex Turner

Vienna VA

Nichols.jpg

I sent the link to my wife as a 'christmas gift' I would like. I think we would have to win the lottery first, not because of the price but I just would need a bigger place to keep my hobby cars. It would do fine here in Arizona. It would never get rained on. ;)

I prefer to sell this locally (Washington DC area) via a face-to-face cash transaction to a member of the 71-73 community, vice eBay, CraigsList, etc

with a total of 3 post to sell his car I dont respect his morals to "our" community as a validation to his "CONCERN" for the care of this car or our community.

just my piece of mind on the types that DO this!!!! and for the record his car IS NOT worth half of his price!!! I have little respect for these types. my bet is if you bought this car you'd find he is a flipper.
I would buy this for its appeal to me and the rarity. I would stash it and give it to my kids.

As for the price..... It's seems fair given the history and documentation that comes with it.

That being said, with my 71 mach 1, 75 trans am and my jeep on steroids, I would have nowhere to park her.

Good luck with the sale. NICE STANG!!!!!

I also would love to buy it, I think the price is fair based on the cars history and the documentation you have, and it would stay in the East coast, but like Will E. I wold have to win the lottory, and I would also have to increase my storage space.

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous Sprint cvt that Rex posted was definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum from my current one. I bought it from the original owner in the late 80's, and it was less than 5 miles from car #5 at the time! It spent its life outside, doing harsh duty on the Washington Beltway and saw its fair share of salt and rain. A glaring example of how two identical cars in the identical environment can go in radically different directions.

On another front, I had a visit this weekend from another forum member in my area. Super nice guy that really knows his stuff. As a result I now have a correct spare tire for car #5 and sold the 1973 Coupe parts car, so that is no longer available.

Thanks for the interest and positive support...

it is appreciated ;)

V/R, Jay

1972 Mustang SPRINT Convertible $21,500

At last count, there are less than 40 of these cars left, and of those only a handful are still in nice original condition.

You would be hard pressed to find another one of these cars in this original condition, and more importantly, an owner willing to sell it!

I've set what I think is a fair price for both me and the potential buyer. As you might guess, these pass hands so rarely it's hard to get a good handle on market value. Again, all that have been sold in the past few years that I'm aware of have either been restored or in poor shape.

Please email me at "somd_mustangs [at] hughes [dot] net" for more info and a link to a photo gallery on Shutterfly.

Overview:

o Car #5 of the 50 Sprint convertibles built specially for the 1972 Cherry Blossom Parade in spring of 1972 (use search engine on "1972 mustang sprint registry" and follow convertible links for more info)

o 100% guaranteed authentic Sprint with documentation - VIN is enough, but have a lot of paperwork too

o 302-2V A/T, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Power Top, AM radio (all 50 cars were equipped the same)

o Always garage kept

Potential:

o Absolutely solid car for a minimal effort restoration, but it would be ashame to lose the originality. Perhaps a "sympathetic" restoration is in order.

o Great parade car

o New whitewall tires

o New repro rear bumper ("original" 1973-style included - was probably replaced at some point)

o New radiator

o New master cylinder

o New heater core

o New tailpipe

Mechanical/electrical:

o Runs very nicely, smooth & quiet with typical 302-2V power (i.e., not a lot compared to my Boss 302!)

o Everything works

--> Or you can take the whole car (100% complete) for $500 with purchase of the Sprint ;)

Body:

o Original paint on hood, driver door, both rear 1/4 panels, deck lid, tail panel & extensions

o Slight "push-in" dent on left rear 1/4 from bumper impact I suspect (see photo gallery)

o Driver door hinge is worn and sags. This is at odds with the 32K mileage but I suspect this was a multi-short distance car, not highway mileage.

Top:

o I think it's original, has some light cracking of the "piping" at fold lines (see photo gallery)

o Bottom canvas of the rear window has separated from the top - it's still attached to the window however and window doesn't "flap in the breeze"

Interior:

o Door panels have some cracking, "woodgrain" inserts in great shape, lower carpet worn

o Original seat upholstery is in excellent shape, drivers seat has a tear on the bottom at the back, hidden when the seat is up (see photo gallery). This should be fixable by a competent shop, I don't have anyone I trust to do this locally though.

Note: the seat and door panel upholstery is unique to the 50 Sprint convertibles. There is no seat material or correct repro seat covers available anymore. Period. Although the MCA has approved the TMI standard Sprint uphosltery, having the real deal is a big plus!

Documentation:

o Original "Consumer Information" sheet describing Low/high speed passing times, braking distance, tire pressure, etc.

o Copy of the "Special Equipment Parts List" for special order 17-0518 (Sprint convertible package) dated 02 March 1972

o Original build sheet found under passenger toe-board carpet (I've misplaced this however. It's here somewhere!)

o Original Owners Manual

o Original newspaper article from the Washington Evening Star "Wheels" section from 14 April 1972 announcing the "50 Parade Sprints" offered for sale to public

o 1972 Consumer Information pamphlet for "Ford Torino, Mustang, Maverick, Pinto, Thunderbird" circa 3/72

o 1972 Owner Maintenance and Light Repair Manual - this has a sheet taped in it with a list of service dates and mileage, last date is 1991 with 28404 miles. The various entries across the years are the only substantiation of it having 32K original miles, although this is backed up by various random service receipts.

o Random service receipts - most from early 70's and then recent 2005 era repairs. Rest were either lost or else the owner performed their own maintenance, as I suspect.

General:

o The original owner, Ed Landry, was a safety engineer for the Dept. Of Transportation and was very meticulous about maintaining the car. He forced the Ford dealer to do a ton of light repairs under warranty within the first few months of receiving the car (weatherstrip, stripes, hydraulic lifters, etc). I imagine Steuart Motors locked the door, turned off the lights, and hid when they saw him coming.

o The second owners were Ed's daughter and her husband, who kept the car maintained and garaged but didn't use it much in the approx. 15 years they owned it.

o The car had approximately 27000 miles in 1984 when it failed the newly-instituted Emissions test

o The car had approximately 29000 miles on it in the early 1990's when acquired by the second owner

o I've only driven it about six hundred miles since 2007. It needs to be out in the public eye, not a hangar queen in my garage.

Thanks for looking,

Jay

View attachment 10770

View attachment 10771

View attachment 10772

View attachment 10773

View attachment 10774

View attachment 10775

View attachment 10776

View attachment 10777
I would never let that a one go!

Overview:

o Always garage kept

Potential:

o Great parade car

o New whitewall tires

o New radiator

o New master cylinder

o New heater core

o New tailpipe

Mechanical/electrical:

o Everything works

Body:

Top:

Interior:

Documentation:

o Original Owners Manual

General:

Thanks for looking,

Jay

View attachment 10770

View attachment 10771

View attachment 10772

View attachment 10773

View attachment 10774

View attachment 10775

View attachment 10776

View attachment 10777
Nice car, I always liked the single red pin stripe above the rocker panel on the SPRINT Convertible and duplicated it in silver on my Mach 1 instead of the chrome trim.

To avoid any confusion and to let everyone knows this car has been sold.

Overview:

o Always garage kept

Potential:

o Great parade car

o New whitewall tires

o New radiator

o New master cylinder

o New heater core

o New tailpipe

Mechanical/electrical:

o Everything works

Body:

Top:

Interior:

Documentation:

o Original Owners Manual

General:

Thanks for looking,

Jay

View attachment 10770

View attachment 10771

View attachment 10772

View attachment 10773

View attachment 10774

View attachment 10775

View attachment 10776

View attachment 10777
Hi Jay. Great car. I own a 351 4V Sprint Fastback. Did you sell? If so could you please let new owner know that I am starting a new Sprint Registry website ( old is defunct) that should be up and running in next several months. My email is jonhawayek@ gmail.com and cell is 716-553-0471. If not sold please let me know!
Thanks,
Jon

Back