Seeking Help & Advice on Centre Guage Setup.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi To All,

Don't know if this topic has been covered before, but my '73 Convertible never came with any centre gauges from factory, and of course, i've got the stock idiot light setup as well. After doing a fair amount of research over the recent months, on trying to install a tach and centre gauge setup for my car, i decided to settle for a Rocketman Tach, and aftermarket gauges plus a new centre dash bezel, instead of going down the path of trying to buy original Mustang gauges, wiring etc, etc.

To the purists, i know that is not original, but money and difficulty have forced me to take the aftermarket approach.

I'm on the brink of starting the install soon. So far, i've got the Rocketman Tach, and three Autometer Gauges (2 1/16 Designer Black gauges for volt, oil pressure, and water temp). I've yet to buy a new centre gauge bezel from Don at Ohio Mustang. I,ve also bought a set of original '72 Ford centre gauges with the plastic backup housing off Ebay, thinking i might be able to make use and incorporate the original backup with my new Autometer gauges in some way.

So my question is, can anybody give me help or advice on the best way of setting up these three new centre gauges into the new dash bezel panel so they will look good and sit firmly in

position.I'll sort out the wiring setups down the track of these gauges. Any sound help and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on going the same route as you, keep us posted.

I do not have any advice but I am very interested to see this come together. Aftermarket gauges are in the plan for mine as well.
Hi Jeff and Rex,

I'll do my best to let you know how i've gotten on.

But that will depend on the feedback i get from other forum members i guess.

I feel sure there has to be someone out there who has knowledge of this setup and can be of help in some way.

I think the real sad thing is, that at this stage in time, there does not seem to be any company who can manufacture and or sell a complete "KIT" that would comprise everything you need to 'replicate' a Ford factory tach and centre gauge setup for our '71 -'73 Mustangs, to make the conversion fairly easy and practical. (The kit would have wiring harnessess, bezels,gauges, pods, lighting, senders etc, etc.) Hey Don, whatta ya say!

Oh well, maybe one day.

Greg.:-/

Im replacing all my gauges with auto meter gauges also. What I did with the center dash was to take my dremel tool and carefully rounded out the bezel holes to fit the 2 1/16 gauges in from the front. I'll post some pics of it later. We're gettin ready to hit the road for the day. I also added a 3 gauge pod to the dash ande will be putting a Shift Light where the fuel gauge normally goes! I'll get some pics up later on!

So tell me about this Rocketman tach!

Im replacing all my gauges with auto meter gauges also. What I did with the center dash was to take my dremel tool and carefully rounded out the bezel holes to fit the 2 1/16 gauges in from the front. I'll post some pics of it later. We're gettin ready to hit the road for the day. I also added a 3 gauge pod to the dash ande will be putting a Shift Light where the fuel gauge normally goes! I'll get some pics up later on!

So tell me about this Rocketman tach!
Hi M I Man,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you could be a great help here. When you get a chance, i would very much like you explain more in detail, about using your dremel to enlarge the holes in the bezel, and the three gauge pod setup. Any pics would be very helpfull and appreciated as well. BTW, what style of Autometer gauges did you settle on?

Also, Rocketman has a great website for you to checkout telling you all about his products as well as a U Tube video on it's installation. http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php Basically, he makes up a new tach to replace the original idiot light gauge, which incorporates the idiot lights in with the tach as well. Installation is fairly easy & straight forward and the unit looks great too. It's a good solution for those who don't want to go to the trouble and expense of seeking out the original factory tachs and all the original wiring that goes with it to set it up.

Hope that all helps you.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon'

Thanks, Greg.

Here are a few pic's of what I'm doing. I just dremeled the holes in the center dash to where I could slide the gauges in from the front then just put the mounting brackets on them. The gauges are Auto Meter Ultra- Lite 2 1/16 gauges!

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

050.JPG

Hi Again M Man,

Thank you very much for your reply and photos.The whole fitup deal looks to be fairly simple for the centre gauges. I didn't think it was so simple. I guess it makes sense though, because each new gauge has it's own glass front, so you don't really have to try and mount the gauges behind the bezel panel.

Your photos show me that the finished product looks pretty good.

My new gauges have a chrome bezel on the front face, so that should look good and match the rest of the black and chrome finish around the main dash area.Your above dash guage setup looks cool, but i won't be going that way for myself.

That said, it turns out i won't probably need the original Ford centre gauges and pod backup i bought on Ebay,to mount the new gauges, and i might try to sell that item on later.

If anyone has anything to add to that, you're more than welcome.

Thank you again for your feedback and help, it's much appreciated.

Greg:)

When I bought my car it had autometer guages mounted behind the bezel, but I don't know how they're setup as I have not removed the bezel yet to look:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your feedback and photo. What you say raises a few questions it seems. I think where i need to be, is to buy the bezel, give it a good look over, and see what my options might be.

Thanks,

Greg.:)

Hi To All,

Don't know if this topic has been covered before, but my '73 Convertible never came with any centre gauges from factory, and of course, i've got the stock idiot light setup as well. After doing a fair amount of research over the recent months, on trying to install a tach and centre gauge setup for my car, i decided to settle for a Rocketman Tach, and aftermarket gauges plus a new centre dash bezel, instead of going down the path of trying to buy original Mustang gauges, wiring etc, etc.

To the purists, i know that is not original, but money and difficulty have forced me to take the aftermarket approach.

I'm on the brink of starting the install soon. So far, i've got the Rocketman Tach, and three Autometer Gauges (2 1/16 Designer Black gauges for volt, oil pressure, and water temp). I've yet to buy a new centre gauge bezel from Don at Ohio Mustang. I,ve also bought a set of original '72 Ford centre gauges with the plastic backup housing off Ebay, thinking i might be able to make use and incorporate the original backup with my new Autometer gauges in some way.

So my question is, can anybody give me help or advice on the best way of setting up these three new centre gauges into the new dash bezel panel so they will look good and sit firmly in

position.I'll sort out the wiring setups down the track of these gauges. Any sound help and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg:)
Hi,

Just doing a post mortem follow up on my enquiry about mounting the three center aftermarket gauges. Firstly, thank you to 73 Mach1 man for your good help and photos, and gpierce for your input as well.

Drop Top 73 and Opiemus Rex said keep us posted as well. I felt that i ended up getting a average response of help to my problem given that there are over 1700 members in the forum.

Anyway, what i'll end up doing, is buy a new center dash bezel from America and have a look at what exactly are my options when i get the bezel. I'm sure i'll come up with a working solution, and i may post up how it went for me.

Sorry you didn't get more response. I am notoriously bad at doing things but not taking any pictures of what I've done. But since I didn't do my own gauges I couldn't offer anything more.

I don't think there's anything behind the bezel to mount anything to, so I think the ones on mine are in some kind of home made fixture. I am taking mine apart in January so I'll try to take some pictures of it.

Greg (the other one in Australia)

Sorry you didn't get more response. I am notoriously bad at doing things but not taking any pictures of what I've done. But since I didn't do my own gauges I couldn't offer anything more.

I don't think there's anything behind the bezel to mount anything to, so I think the ones on mine are in some kind of home made fixture. I am taking mine apart in January so I'll try to take some pictures of it.

Greg (the other one in Australia)
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your update reply. Your offer of investigation for next year with photos is very kind and appreciated indeed. Any help would be great.

Have a great Christmas!

I picked up some Autometer angled gage mounting rings, the plan is to pick up some gages and mount them in the dash center similat to the OE gages only larger.
Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you.Sounds like you have an interesting plan there.

It would be great to find out how you get along with your gauge project with this in mind. As i mentioned before, i'm going to buy the center bezel and see what my mounting options are when i get it.

All the best,

Sometimes people would rather not comment than give wrong information
Thank you for that sir, and i do take your point.

I would venture to say the average response is because this job is a tremendous pain, especially if you want to have an "oem" wiring look.

Add this to the fact it is electrical, and you have multiplied your pain.

My plan of attack on my 73 convertible is to first get the engine running. Then I will replace my sending units and test my gauge set out of the car. Once I know I have good gauges, I will run the wires to the dash and test the gauges again. If they are good, I will then do the transplant.

But, I don't think the job is for the meek. And it probably takes so long, to document adequately would quadruple the amount of time spent.

However, all I really want to know is:

1. What parts do I need?

2. What tools do I need?

3. What testing can I do?

4. What obstacles will I face?

Good luck to you.

I would venture to say the average response is because this job is a tremendous pain, especially if you want to have an "oem" wiring look.

Add this to the fact it is electrical, and you have multiplied your pain.

My plan of attack on my 73 convertible is to first get the engine running. Then I will replace my sending units and test my gauge set out of the car. Once I know I have good gauges, I will run the wires to the dash and test the gauges again. If they are good, I will then do the transplant.

But, I don't think the job is for the meek. And it probably takes so long, to document adequately would quadruple the amount of time spent.

However, all I really want to know is:

1. What parts do I need?

2. What tools do I need?

3. What testing can I do?

4. What obstacles will I face?

Good luck to you.
Thanks W for your reply,

What you say makes a lot of sense, and you can't beat a step by step practical approach to these type of problems and setups. I must apologise to all, for not saying that it is my intention to involve the services of a fully qualified and professionally experienced auto electrician to help and do any auto electrical work needed on my car, as this area is beyond my experience and understanding. Basic auto electrics, i know, but when you move into more complicated areas, it's work better left for pros or the boys who really know what they're doing. I will be consulting with him as my upgrade projects evolve and progress.

I know this is not a cost effective way to go, but it should prevent me from getting into a lot of trouble and heartache as i go along. (I hope & pray)

Back