Engine keeps running

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
After 5 years idle in the garage, the ole 302 kicked over today and sounds pretty darn good. The only problem is that I cannot turn the car off by the ignition switch. I try turning the switch off and taking out the key and it will not cut the power. We have to pull the coil to stop the engine. What's up?????

After sitting that long it would probably do you good to go over all your connections (especially the grounds) and clean them. The solenoid may have to be replaced.

I had the same problem. I ended up replacing the solenoid ($15 or so). My starter needed to be replaced too, but I thing that's a coincidence unless you noticed it never disengaged after the car started.

I had this problem one morning, one tap to the solenoid with a rubber mallet fixed it. if you pull apart the steering column and actually look at the ignition switch and how it is set up, it would be pretty hard for it to stick in my opinion. safe bet if it has been sitting that long and you want it to be dependable, replace all the primary "electronics" in the car. solenoid, voltage regulator, starter, alternator, coil, ignition switch, and check the fuses and harnesses for any damage.

if the solenoid is stuck, wouldn't the starter be stuck on?

the only reason I mentioned the ignition switch, I had somthing break off in mine and it was doing the samething, it would start right up, and not turn off with the ignition, we had to pull the red wire off the coil to shut it off.

its an easy check. with the key in tthe OFF or in ACC mode you should have no voltage (0) at the red wire on the coil (between red and GRND) if you do have voltage, then you have an ignition issue, if not then this is not the issue.

if the solenoid is stuck, wouldn't the starter be stuck on?

the only reason I mentioned the ignition switch, I had somthing break off in mine and it was doing the samething, it would start right up, and not turn off with the ignition, we had to pull the red wire off the coil to shut it off.

its an easy check. with the key in tthe OFF or in ACC mode you should have no voltage (0) at the red wire on the coil (between red and GRND) if you do have voltage, then you have an ignition issue, if not then this is not the issue.
Just goes to show anything is possible after 40 years. :s

I had this problem one morning, one tap to the solenoid with a rubber mallet fixed it. if you pull apart the steering column and actually look at the ignition switch and how it is set up, it would be pretty hard for it to stick in my opinion. safe bet if it has been sitting that long and you want it to be dependable, replace all the primary "electronics" in the car. solenoid, voltage regulator, starter, alternator, coil, ignition switch, and check the fuses and harnesses for any damage.
I have done it all except starter, alternator and ignition switch. Dumb question, where is the switch located????

I tried my original Solenoid and a new one, both stuck after about 30 seconds from when the car started, had to tap to disengage. Any suggestions on where to buy a good quality one?????

Last edited by a moderator:
You ought to get together with Doc. He can't keep his engine running.

Maybe you could swap cars for the White Elephant exchange.

You can just get a Motocraft one from:

www.rockauto.com

That's what I did. It's only a few dollars more than what I had tried from Autozone and it seems to be holding up for me. You'll find it under electrical / starter solenoid, and then at the bottom.

Good luck!

A starter solenoid is a simple switch, when energized, it simply connects the starter to the battery.

If the resistance is too high in the starter, you get a welding effect to the contact disc.

I would make sure I had a good ground to the engine(clean & tight) and I would also have the starter tested for excessive current draw. Something is causing that solenoid to fail.

i had the same problem, i found a old ignition switch laying in the back floor board so mine may have been replaced. It looked 35 years old haha. anyway my issue was the starter solenoid i had just replaced any probably only had about 5 starts on it. I whacked it with my hand and cleaned all the wire ends and have a extra snug to the solenoid bolts. Haven't had the problem since. (knocks on wood)

Back