Firewall Insulation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Hello,

I have the opportunity to replace the old firewall insulation pad. I have searched the web and checked mustang parts houses. I have found several prices from $45.00 to $159.00. The high end ones claim to be molded and perfect fit. The $65.00 versions are die cut and are suppose to be a direct replacement fit and function. Any recommendations? What have you seen, bought, and used!

Thank You,

mustang7173

I am doing the same search right now as well. I purchased one through CJ and it is not what I expected. It will be going back after waiting three weeks for it on backorder. In general my research points me to the ~$150 molded firewall pad made by Quiteride under their Accousti-Shield name. I am looking for the 72 pad W/O AC and I swore I saw it on MU site for $154. I have been searching the web like crazy and cannot find it again. It is out there I just need to see what retailer had it. I read an article about this company based out of Sacramento, CA and it sounds like they do not make an inferior product, but ultimatly you pay the $$$$'s for it.

Just emailed Don. I contacted Quiet Ride and obtained their part number is Must 7173-CM1 for the Mach 1. As I can tell from the reports and photo it is the closest repo to the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I just bought one from E-Bay that was listed with Class-Tech-Cars. I checked out the buyers reviews and did not see any issues with the pad. From my research, the cheap ones, $44.00 area, are not that good. I will respond back once I have received the one I ordered.

mustang7173

I purchased the QuietRide firewall insulation pad today. It was $159. It was not on their website, but they said it was in their catalog so I cold get the 10% holiday discount. It takes up to two weeks to ship from QuietRide. I will repost on the quality when received.

Have mine from NPD. It was the better, molded one running at $149.00 including rubber pins.

It is heavy and the quality is very good. It has an absolute exact fit with alignment on all holes.

Michael

Hello,

I have received the new firewall pad from E-Bay that was listed with Class-Tech-Cars. It is nice. It has a nice rubber top with all of the requires holes needed to install devices and wire harnesses. I will compare and respond back with the results.

mustang7173 :D

[attachment=12400]

Hello,

I just bought one from E-Bay that was listed with Class-Tech-Cars. I checked out the buyers reviews and did not see any issues with the pad. From my research, the cheap ones, $44.00 area, are not that good. I will respond back once I have received the one I ordered.

mustang7173

Looks to be the same one I received from CJ on a sale price. That is what I returned back to the this week. For the level of restoration I am pursueing the $150 part was right for me. I will snap a photo when it is received for future refernce on this thread. Will be a couple of weeks as indicated by MU

Received my Quiet Ride Firewall insulation late last week and took some time this weekend to install it. I am mainly focused on suspension detailing and instalation right now, but I wanted to get the dash installed back on the inside of the car as it takes up alot of room in my storage area and I do not want it to get damaged. Here are some pix of the pad before installation front and back and with it on the car. Here are some specifics for reference.

quietride.com - The guys at Quiet Ride are top notch and very responsive and helpfull.

This is part MUST7173-CM1 for a non A/C car - This part is specific to Mach 1 only

For other models coupe/convertable/sportroof part MUST7173-HC

Firts two pictures are upside down and I cannot rotate them.

firewall insulation2.jpg

firewall insulation1.jpg

firewall insulation3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one for A/C cars sold by NPD. Except for the cutout for the A/C piping, it looks the same. The main difference to the cheaper one is the molded form. It follows the highs and lows of the firewall better than a non-moulded mat.

On my 71 Mach 1 it had a perfect fit. To help it fit even better, i used a heat gun to install and some 3M spray adhesive.

DSC01835.JPG

This is the one for A/C cars sold by NPD. Except for the cutout for the A/C piping, it looks the same. The main difference to the cheaper one is the molded form. It follows the highs and lows of the firewall better than a non-moulded mat.

On my 71 Mach 1 it had a perfect fit. To help it fit even better, i used a heat gun to install and some 3M spray adhesive.
Question for all of you. Does the pedal box mount on top of the firewall insulation and compress it, or do you feed the pedal box through the hole so it fits against the firewall metal?

Thanks!

There is a shim with four distance pieces between the firewall sheetmetal and the pedal support box. This provides the necessary clearance not to squeeze the insulation pad.

This is it. Photo was taken before sandblasting and zinc galvanizing for rust protection.

Firewall shim.jpg

Back