summit camshaft ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
66' coupé and 73' mach1
hello everyone :)

I would like your opinion on a camshaft summit 5200

this is for my 351c, it is already equipped with a Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, pertronix ignitor and 4 barel holley carburetor and hookers headers and complete flowmaster exhaust line 2-1/4

thank you in advance

Just my personal take on it, but the price is low because hydraulic flat tappet lifters are cheap compared to roller lifters and quiet compared to solid lifters without the need for frequent adjustments.

I think that is a nice camshaft for slightly better than stock performance with either 2 or 4V heads. It won't wring out the maximum potential performance from the 351C, but neither will it cause problems with your power brake vacuum booster or the vacuum modulator of a Automatic transmission equipped car.

Best of luck.

Should be a decent upgrade over stock..Do you got 2v or 4v heads? If you got 4v heads..You should get a dual pattern cam for it instead of a single...All counts on the heads you got on your stang.

Looks a little small for my taste. I would go with a Crane H-278-2. Summit part # CRN-523801. Or at least bump it up to the Summit cam 5201. Just my thoughts.

Just my personal take on it, but the price is low because hydraulic flat tappet lifters are cheap compared to roller lifters and quiet compared to solid lifters without the need for frequent adjustments.

I think that is a nice camshaft for slightly better than stock performance with either 2 or 4V heads. It won't wring out the maximum potential performance from the 351C, but neither will it cause problems with your power brake vacuum booster or the vacuum modulator of a Automatic transmission equipped car.

Best of luck.
+10 to that. Think you'll enjoy it.

this is for my 351c, it is already equipped with a Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, pertronix ignitor and 4 barel holley carburetor and hookers headers and complete flowmaster exhaust line 2-1/4

thank you in advance
For that price, buy 2. If the first one breaks, you got a spare!!!

Now, for the Debbie Downer part....

Don't forget when changing camshafts, you have to change lifters, not to mention the need for a front engine seal, water pump seal...blah blah blah.

And after all that, you will probably need to resize your pushrods also. I have been told you can only size your pushrods once you get the cam in, and you will require an adjustable pushrod to get the right height.

I guess I am just saying, the cam is cheap. But like a cheap date, once you get the date to lover's lane, you might find the date was cheap for good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you in advance
For that price, buy 2. If the first one breaks, you got a spare!!!

Now, for the Debbie Downer part....

Don't forget when changing camshafts, you have to change lifters, not to mention the need for a front engine seal, water pump seal...blah blah blah.

And after all that, you will probably need to resize your pushrods also. I have been told you can only size your pushrods once you get the cam in, and you will require an adjustable pushrod to get the right height.

I guess I am just saying, the cam is cheap. But like a cheap date, once you get the date to lover's lane, you might find the date was cheap for good reason.
Guess you rememerded your first date. We can help with whatever improvements anybody is interested in. With the upgrade being considered, new pushrods, or springs should not be required. However, you do make a good point as to measure twice rebuild once.

I put this camshaft in my 351 cleveland. I have flattop pistons 2v heads and edelbrock dual plain intake. Headers and 2.5 exhaust.

Motor runs nice.

I cannot give you a before comparison because I had a 6 cyl before. Well I can compare it to the 250 6 cyl. It takes name and kicked .....

Back