72 Q Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1966 coupe - 347w
1971 Mach 1 - J code
1972 Mach 1 - Q code
G'day, thought I would put the Marti for my 72 Mach 1 up It's nothing special option wise, but I'm really happy with the car, super clean and rust free, just had to share..

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day, thought I would put the Marti for my 72 Mach 1 up It's nothing special option wise, but I'm really happy with the car, super clean and rust free, just had to share..
very cool..And not bad list of options!! cobrajet 4v too....love reading marti reports....really early 72 production date.

Thanks for the kind words, I got lucky with this one, the previous owners put a lot of love into it, my original plan was to put a 460 into it with every thing else that is needed, Wilwood disc's all round, Moser 9' diff ect, ect. I have everything to do it, But I'm in two minds about it now...

I think it is a well optioned car and a great color! Is one of the minds considering building a 351C based engine for the car? Thanks for sharing. Chuck

Mmmm, my other mind is to rebuild the current engine into a modern Boss 351c around the 400hp mark, and then my be plug in a little N.O.S. nothing over the top, proberly a 150hp shot.

I would use a single plane funnel web manifold with the 4v heads a custom built carby from PRO-Systems. A crane F-246 solid cam, and a well built bottom end using 6'' conrods, Now I look at it, not really a boss but just a nice well built clevo to stick it to the chevy boys..

Not a nitrous fan but, if it is what you want then go for it. Just do the homework on nitrous. It is not as straight forward as it sounds even at a 150 shot. My friends have the the broken blocks and pistons to prove it. However, I do lean towards doing a 351C based engine for frequent street driving. Just one opinion. Chuck

The only thing which complicates the issue is little is that I already have a 460, fresh .030 bore and a fresh ground 10/10 crank, eagle conrods, KB hypo flat top pistons, CompCams XE274H cam, Trick Flow ported ally heads a Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold a custom built 950cfm Pro-Systems carb. this combo should give me a lazy 500hp+ and proberly around 580-600ft/lb of torque, with room for more latter on with a few changes [big solid cam, single plane maifold etc]. Just need to screw it all together.

With a clevo build I would have to start from scratch, the only things I have for that is the funnel web manifold, 6' conrods and a 4MA-B crank and what can be reused of the motor in the car, block an 4V heads. I think I wll drive it as is for a while screw the 460 together then????

Back