Project Thread: '71 Conv-Blue/White [351C-4V]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THODGES89

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Conv-Blue/White [351C-4V-4BBL]
My stallion has recently been signed over to me by the family and I'm bringing it back to life as a daily driver for a while. It's a...

1971 Mustang Convertible, Metallic Blue, White Mach I trim, White leather interior w/teak wood trim, 351C-4V w/ Ram-Air, auto trans, A/C, power steering, electric top, aaaand luggage rack (how much of this is stock?)

Want to keep it classic, but usable...a conservative restomod

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to overhaul the carb a few weeks ago but that soft metal was stripped in so many places that I had a hard time keeping it from leaking. I just threw on an Edelbrock 1406 electric choke, with the Ford linkage conversion and throttle mount adapter plate. I figured some new tuning technology from a reputable company with no cost to the whole "stock thing" (since its only four nuts) was a good bet...and it was. Definitely woke up that beast under the hood.

I'll work on the little things for now-got some cheapish ACC carpet to put in temporarily (until after the complete rebuild is done, then I'll get the plush stuff), don't think the a/c is fully functional, heater is average, gotta check all the hoses and brakes, and the stupid a/c/heater fan squeals like a pig. That car did great on a 45 min freeway speed trip from OC to LA last night though...still throws you back in your seat if you punch it at 80.

I hope to keep you entertained with my maintenance and restoration feats in the coming days. I feel like it's finally my turn to give back to the 'automotive forum world' in general, as I have harvested so much from you all through high school and college.

Gentlemen...START YOUR ENGINES!

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen...START YOUR ENGINES!
Welcome from Washington state...And lets see some more pictures...And the rack could be stock...Im not a expert on converts..But i think they did make a rack for them "not sure" Im sure some convert man will pop on and call me out on that if im wrong...lol....You ever look into getting a marti report? Then you will know what is stock or not...for a fact...No one can dout...lol

And you should make a thread in the introduction area and post some more pictures in there..We enjoy seeing all pictures..inside and out...No matter condish.

Thanks hyena! I just updated both threads with some more pics. I might consolidate them one of these nights into a gallery or garage or something. I like being organized! Time to go return some unused parts after my recent master cylinder replacement/rear brake line manufacturing...

Back again everybody. Sorry for the hiatus. Well for Christmas the girlfriend got me a retrosound unit. *STOKED* I just got my new radio bezel in too. Now all I need for the radio install is speakers so I can do it all at once when I do the carpet. It looks like each door has two speakers in it. Has to be custom. I'll pull the panel off and get a pic later.

Should I run circles in the front of the doors and 3.5's in the dash as another thread suggested? The stereo has 4 outputs. Would an amp help me split it up with power? I have room for 8 total if you count the tweeters. Probably unnecessary. I also have circles in the quarter panels :( I guess I could do 4 and call it a day. Easy install too. What size rectangle speakers fit in the doors?

Also, would like to put in a bigger sway bar and bilstein shocks. Any word on the bilsteins?

Thanks guys!

Nice car & color combo. One of these days I'll have one like this once I get these Mach 1s out of the way.

I wouldn't cut round holes in the door panels. They came with a rectangular speaker grill when that option was ordered.

How about an engine pic? Keep up the good work.

Thanks don. I can't get over the blue and white...my favorite. Here's some motor for yaImageUploadedByTapatalk1356972198.396147.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356972260.720339.jpgbefore steam cleanImageUploadedByTapatalk1356972303.106525.jpgafter steam clean

you can get a lot of sound without adding alot of speakers.

here is what I had, before going back to stock look.

AM/FM Stock 1972 Thunderbird Radio (because its 4 channel)

(a lineout converter for the Amp)

I have two 3 1/2" Sony in the dash. (2-way speaker)

I have two 6 1/2" Sony in the rear quaters ( cutouts were already there). (4-way speaker)

all are powerd by a 200w Sony Amp (mounted under the dash to keep the stock look and out of view).

then I used to have three 10" JL W6 subs in the trunk, powerd by a Alpine V12 amp.

it sounded great wih the top down, but I wanted the room in the trunk, so the subwoofers are now gone.

you can get full great sound in the t car without cutting holes in the door panels.

Alright guys. As you all very well know every project impacts another one. I have a new retrosound stereo to put in and need to run new speaker wire. I'm also replacing the carpet so I want to run the wire to the rear quarters while I'm at it. (holes already cut)

So far I have:

RetroSound Stereo

Radio Bezel

Carpet

Underlayment on the way

I need:

Speakers (6.5 in the rear quarters) (what size goes in the doors? I already have two per door with plastic grilles. Looks like a well done custom job.)

Speaker wire. (What's the most typical guage?)

*Side note*

I have bilstein front shocks (street) on the way from Street or Track.

I need new bushings on the sway bar and end links badly (one is gone).

I kinda want to get the 1 1/8 inch sway bar kit from npd. How much do these help? I've heard great things. I think I have a 3/4 inch now. Should be stock.

What other rubber is easy to replace during the shock replacement/while I'm under there?

Nice car! My son and I are starting on a 71 351 4V Ram Air Convert. Please get and post your Marti report for all of us to read. You have a really rare car!

Over time someone replaced your front fenders, bumper, valance, and grill with ones from a 73 - does it look like it has had some front end damage? I wish these cars could talk!

It is possible it got in a fender bender and someone decided to make the car look a few years newer. I personally like the look of the 73's a little better, can't really say why.

- Paul

::welcome:: from SC. Mine is a 71 vert as well with Bright Blue Metallic paint and the white top. I have to wonder if your guages are factory, I have not seen any convertibles with a gauge package or the NASA hood that were factory. The only way to tell will be to order the Marti Report and/or the Eminger Invoice. I bought both for mine and I also bought the personalized report. Nice car though, keep us up to date with pictures. And by the way I am no expert so the gauges and hood may be totally factory, I'm just curious.

Nice car, I also have factory guages in mine but no air or wood grain on the center piece, hood was flat I changed it

Well the new shocks are in! Bilstein street tuned in the front from Street or Track. I also went from a 3/4" sway bar to 1-1/8" from NPD. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I had old KYB Gas-A-Justs in there before. Still have them in the rear but I'll swap for Bilsteins eventually.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358699554.960230.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358699580.033914.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358699616.357845.jpg

Thanks Paul! I'll be keeping track of you given your ride's similarities. I DID find some damage on the frame near the front left wheel assy when I was doing the shocks. Looks like someone tweaked it back and welded it. Seems consisted with the minor list that the whole body has.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358700595.851184.jpg It is highly likely that someone swapped out with 73 parts. I too just like the look of it for some reason. I like the vertical lights on the grille. It makes more black space and gives it a bolder look IMO.

Optimusrex. Interesting that you have a white top too. I've never seen another one with these colors. Very cool!

I'll look into getting the Marti report for sure since there is so much mystery behind this thing.

On a last note...I'm finally getting into the radio project!!! Got the retro sound mounted to the new bezel (a VERY disappointing repro). Still looks cool though with the radio.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358701009.902419.jpg

The wiring that was done by my Uncle Vic and possibly others is out of this world. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I think the best plan is to just rip everything to do with the old sound system out and run new, clean wire. This is the 'clean' part of the wiring.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358701761.085130.jpg

*side note* that Makita 7.2v impact screwdriver in the bottom right is one of the best tools I own. I highly recommend it. It goes in whatever car I'm driving at the time. I also just bought the Makita 18v compact lithium ion drill and impact driver combo for $200 and they are equally as incredible.

It looks like someone found more stock speakers and put them in the rear half of the doors. A bit of a rough cut to say the least ;) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358701427.417209.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358701448.829318.jpg

Well she's in!!! Along with new carpet. Floor pans have only minor rust. I've seen worse so I'm not complaining. The radio is AWESOME. Thumbs up for RetroSound. We'll see how it holds up. I ran new speaker wire to the doors and quarter panels. I'll be getting new speakers soon. Can't wait.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358829111.057124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358829129.377722.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358829147.050811.jpg

Back