Engine Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I just pulled the motor out of a 72 Stang 351C. The motor mounts have a bunch of washers that raised the engine. I also noticed that the two mounts didn't match. Not sure if they had a problem with the original and replaced one? Why would they raise the motor?

It does have Hooker headers on it not sure 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". Did the headers not fit? Is this a problem? I wanted to put 1 3/4" on but now I'm wondering if that was the problem with the other headers. Unless the mounts are the wrong ones maybe. Is there any concerns I should have about getting the headers to fit around the steering box if I increase the size a little bit?

Thanks

do you have any pics of the mounts you have?

were the washers between the block and block clamshell mounts or where were they. a pic sure would help. and cant see any reason to have to raise the height of motor.unless he was useing hedders not for that particular car.

Hooker headers are 1 3/4" pipes and larger, there are not any in 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 you probably already have 1 3/4. Surely they raised for an interference reason. No reasonto do it otherwise. 72- and 73 use different mounts and frame perches, maybe there is some mix and match going on.

Also like stated above the headers may not be a correct fit, the pipe next to the steering box has to go straight down, some headers i have owned listed for a 72 but that pipe ran right into the power steering box.

There are some good pictures of the headers at Summit racings website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll grab some pics of it and the headers that were on it.

Thanks

Thanks
Here are some pics of the mounts

Thanks
Here are some pics of the mounts. They are different mounts on each side. Also included pic of chassis mounts.

Hooker headers are 1 3/4" pipes and larger, there are not any in 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 you probably already have 1 3/4. Surely they raised for an interference reason. No reasonto do it otherwise. 72- and 73 use different mounts and frame perches, maybe there is some mix and match going on.

Also like stated above the headers may not be a correct fit, the pipe next to the steering box has to go straight down, some headers i have owned listed for a 72 but that pipe ran right into the power steering box.

There are some good pictures of the headers at Summit racings website.
I took a pic of the headers that were on the car. I want to replace. Are there any issues with the 2" headers. Shouldn't be any issues I assume

Do these look correct. I measured them the best I could through the gasket area and it seems like they are not 1 3/4". Could that be? They were pretty tight up against the steering box also. Should they touch the box or not.

2011-01-05_20-18-30_59.jpg

2011-01-05_20-18-40_708.jpg

2011-01-05_20-18-15_166.jpg

2011-01-05_21-50-51_561.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first picture is a 73 year only mount, If your frame perches are original from 72 it wont work. Hard to tell but the frame perches look like 72 they are a little taller than 73. So you should be ok there.

Second picture is what a 72 mount should look like.

Those headers wont fit that is why the washers are there.

The pipe with the dent will hit the steering box, if you look at the Hookerrs for 71-73 that pipe goes straight down and under the rest.

The measurment for pipe size is the ID of the actual pipe not on the flange.

If you measure it outside you will get close, those look like 1 3/4 and for a street car those will be fine, for race on 4V heads 1 7/8 or 2 inch would be better.

Buy new mounts before reinstalling. And sell that 73 mount on ebay there are always people looking for those they dont make them.

Good Luck

The first picture is a 73 year only mount, If your frame perches are original from 72 it wont work. Hard to tell but the frame perches look like 72 they are a little taller than 73. So you should be ok there.

Second picture is what a 72 mount should look like.

Those headers wont fit that is why the washers are there.

The pipe with the dent will hit the steering box, if you look at the Hookerrs for 71-73 that pipe goes straight down and under the rest.

The measurment for pipe size is the ID of the actual pipe not on the flange.

If you measure it outside you will get close, those look like 1 3/4 and for a street car those will be fine, for race on 4V heads 1 7/8 or 2 inch would be better.

Buy new mounts before reinstalling. And sell that 73 mount on ebay there are always people looking for those they dont make them.

Good Luck
Thanks for the help!

Back