front suspension time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
So I have an energy suspension polyurethane kit from a few years ago that I never got around to installing all of the front end from. I have the lower control arm bushings, strut bushings, sway bar end link bushings, and have purchased spring perches with rubber bushings (they didnt make them with poly bushings back when I bought them 10 years ago), coil spring upper poly bushings and tie rod end ball cover poly bushings. Now I am wondering if I should go with rubber or poly bushings for the upper control arms, and rubber or poly ball joints, upper and lower. havent been able to find poly ball joints for a 71, so that may be my answer. I have read a lot about people replacing whole control arms to save time and hassle. Anyone been in this boat? Not trying to spend too much as I need to replace my steering box and purchase new wheels and tires also to get her nice and comfy on the highway. she is my daily driver, so I want a nice smooth ride. I have KYB gas shocks on her now, any recommendations on which ones to go with next? Thanks everyone!

If you are looking for a comfortable ride I would not use any poly bushings. Also, I would highly recommend a pair of roller spring perches.

Yes, my understanding is the poly bushings are great for the track, not for a daily driver. I do not have any personal experience with them.

Do look at upgrading your strut rods. Do some searches.

I installed the full catalog of Energy Suspension bushings and KYB's back in 92 on my 71 coupe. The cheap and dirty way to get the control arm bushings out is with a torch. I prefer a controlled solid ride so I don't mind feeling a little of the road. The major complaint from most people running poly is squeaking. Go to the plumbing section of the hardware store and pick up a tub of waterproof grease and lube up the bushings liberally. Roller spring perches weren't around when I did mine, but those look like a must. Will e's advice about looking at strut rod upgrades is an important often overlooked area. I'm going the complete Street or Track route when I get around to the front suspension again.

If you are looking for a comfortable ride I would not use any poly bushings. Also, I would highly recommend a pair of roller spring perches.
+ 2

Also, definitely use rubber bushings on the strut bar mounts. There have been reported cases of broken front end parts if using poly on them.

in some cases its best to always to use rubber.... :D

but, it depends on what you want in a car.. for me i dont like a suspension thats to loose,.. i like it tight and responsive.. so i went for poly bushings..

BUT i have never tried new rubber bushing, i can imagine that a rubber bushing that is 30+ years old has seen better days, so new rubber bushings would be a huge improvement i guess.

but also what others said, also invest in a set of roller perches, and if budget allows, look for aftermarket struts.. those also help with a better driving car..

Back