10w30 or 20w50?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so fine for all our US friends, but here in Ontario, Canada, I have not been able to find any oils that stipulate the Zinc content. If some oils do, then one has to get the magnifier out to read the "small print". IF anyone here knows of a readily available oil, I'm interested. The only AmsOil dealer I knew of, no longer sells the products. 

I have used Castrol 10W30 conventional oil with a 4 oz bottle of ZDDP added for as long as I've owned my car, 12 years, without any known problems. It gets changed yearly whether it needs it or not and that's MY choice.
Most manufacturers provide links to safety and technical data for their products. The tech data usually list the zinc PPM.

Look at the API rating, anything higher than an SL must have 750ppm or less of zinc. An SL can have up to 1200ppm of zinc. If an oil does not have an API rating it's pretty much an open bag without regulation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the API rating, anything higher than an SL must have 750ppm or less of zinc. An SL can have up to 1200ppm of zinc. If an oil does not have an API rating it's pretty much an open bag without regulation. 
 Ok thanks for the update and something to look for. 

Back