12V key ignition wire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light green with red stripe and the red with light green stripe wires both start from the same terminal on the ignition switch, under the dash if you have gauges. The light green with red stripe wire provides power to the voltage regulator to excite the alternator, and the red with light green wire powers the ignition coil. If either one of these are used you should tap into them under the dash, at the ignition switch, to avoid voltage reducing resistors between the connector at the ignition switch and under the hood. If you have an alternator warning lamp the light green with red wire starts after it runs through the warning lamp and a bypass resistor and should not be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
light green or green with red, yes. I think I recall 2 of same colour come at the switch. You need ofc the one that gets powered once the key is turned on.
And you need to Y split it before the next junction. I'd really solder this connection and thermo sleeve it. I call it THE wire because it's really the one you want to be reliable ;)
Ok cool. Thank you

Back