17" Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aasukisuki

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Converible
So here's a question for you knowledgeable folks. I'm looking for wheels for my convertible, and would like to do the 17" Torq Thrust M style wheels. I want that staggered look for my car, so I was thinking 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back. Well I can't get 17x9.5, only 17x9.

With that said, the options I have are a 17x8 (w/ a 245/45 tire) with no offset (which is perfect b/c that gives the 4.5 backspacing). However the 17x9 is offered with a 24 or 33 offset. I don't think either of those will work right, as the 17x9 w/ a 275/40 tire will push the tire over an inch towards the inner wheel well.

Am I not going to be able to stagger these wheels, or is there plenty of room inside that rear wheel well to add a larger tire? Any other suggestions?

So here's a question for you knowledgeable folks. I'm looking for wheels for my convertible, and would like to do the 17" Torq Thrust M style wheels. I want that staggered look for my car, so I was thinking 17x8 in the front and 17x9.5 in the back. Well I can't get 17x9.5, only 17x9.

With that said, the options I have are a 17x8 (w/ a 245/45 tire) with no offset (which is perfect b/c that gives the 4.5 backspacing). However the 17x9 is offered with a 24 or 33 offset. I don't think either of those will work right, as the 17x9 w/ a 275/40 tire will push the tire over an inch towards the inner wheel well.

Am I not going to be able to stagger these wheels, or is there plenty of room inside that rear wheel well to add a larger tire? Any other suggestions?
A quick correction. The space from the fender and wheel well would be ok, but the setup would be 1.5" closer to the suspension/brake components.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is definitely some extra room for rubber under the rears of our cars vs. the earlies, but I don't have any specifics...hopefully someone else can chime in!

I want to say upfront that I do not have any personal experience with this American Racing wheel, however I would like to quote from an article in the July 2005 issue of Mustang Monthly Magazine as it pertains to fitting some Vintage Wheel Works wheels and tires on a '69 Mustang.

The ..."two-piece Vintage 45 in a 17X8-inch version with a 245/45R17 tire is the de facto setup to use in terms of size should you desire 17-inch wheels of any make and style. Fitment is perfect, fenderwell clearance isn't an issue, and you have plenty of rubber on the road - much more than any mustang came from the factory. Backspacing is 4 1/2 inches. A 255/45 or 255/40 tire will also fit here with the same size out back, or a larger 275/40 if you want to stagger tire sizes."

Again, the article had to do with Vintage Wheel Works products but as noted in this excerpt it seems to be addressing any make/style of wheel of the same size.

As an aside, according to Jegs, they carry the Torq Thrust M in 24mm and 45mm offset.

If I were you, I think I would give American Racing a call to confirm the correlation between their product and the information in the Mustang Monthly article on Vintage Wheel Works.

Hope this helps.

BT

Back