17 X 8 or 18 X 8 wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrobinson

Reaction score
My Car
My 13 year old wants to build a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first car. We have found a Grabber Blue with white interior base model 1971 Mach 1 to start on.
I would like an opinion on which wheel and tire combination to purchase for my son's 1973 Mach 1. I am leaning toward the Ridler 650 wheel which kind of looks like the old Kelsey Hayes wheel. My son wants a no stagger look. I like  the idea of 17 X 8, 4.5"bs with 245 50 R17 tires at all four corners. The car will be lowered 1" front and back too. What is your suggestion 17 X 8 or 18 X 8 and tire size?

I am running 17x8 all around with 4.5 BS. I like the look. I do have a slightly wider tire out back 245-45/17, not sure what the fronts are off hand, they are just slightly narrower. I really like the look of those wheels.

I dig them < they add a retro look with modern feel and casting techniques. Looks like magnesium salt flat halibrands

As to sizes, figure out what overall tire height u want before choosing wheels, 18`s a lot rougher riding that 17`s, etc.

Most 18`s tires height under 26 inches which looks too small on older cars, however on a lowered car it might not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back