180 mile 73 vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
When driving back Grand National and visiting C9ZX I stopped off in Arkansas to snap a bunch of photos of an original 180 mile 73 vert. I will post a few of them, but if you need any more please PM me and let me know what you need.

090212 267.JPG

090212 287.JPG

090212 323.JPG

Never knew they placed a resonator in the tailpipe on a 73. This is not reproduced.

090212 325.JPG

090212 368.JPG

Here is some of the back story on this car and its sister. A dealer in Lebanon, TN bought this vert and a matching 73 Mach 1 in blue and white. Both cars were rolled of the delivery truck and into a warehouse behind the dealership. In the 80's they were sold as a pair to Bob Perkins. The pair were spilt by Bob with the Mach 1 going first and the vert to its current owner. Alot of people bought the 73 verts as it was going to be the last convertable model for a while.

090212 299.JPG

I am always interested in engine compartment wiring looms and locations.

Think it has the original oil?

What did they do to the fuel? Burn it off, let it evaporate?

I would also like to see the seals on the front of the convertible top. I wonder if they left the top tight or if they kept the top loose so the rubber would stay in the expanded state.

Lastly, my understanding is the tires from our oversea manufacturers are inflated to like 50 pounds for the trip over here, and then deflated at the dealer to keep the tires round...I wonder if this car had over inflated tires. Don't think I would drive on 40 year old tires though.

And has anyone here ever bought a car with the dealer badge on it? ugh.

I wonder if that car will ever be driven the way it was intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple more shots.

090212 268.JPG

090212 277.JPG

090212 278.JPG

Dealer accesory lock on the spare tire that used the trunk key to unlock.

090212 332.JPG

For those of us over restoring our cars. Here is a sanity check on production outcomes. This is the radiator support that was not painted behind the drivers side headlight bucket

090212 308.JPG

Beatiful. Any chance you got one of the smog tag? Indicates timing, dwell, RPM, etc.

The air cleaner is interesting as it has the spokes.

The air cleaner is interesting as it has the spokes.
I have one of those in the basement - identical. Standard for the 1973 351c with AC as far as I know.

It's interesting to note the trunk lid alignment is off in the picture of the dealers badge. Makes me feel better about my trunk lid alignment. Must have been a common fit and finish problem at the factory.

So what kind of price tag could one put on a 180 mile 73 vert ? any ideas.
That's a good question. Obviously being in such original condition it is worth a lot more than a restored one. But what can you do with it? Can't really drive it. You could parade it around on a trailer and win car shows with it. If I had this and my '73 vert driver and I had to sell one, this one would probably go. I have owned mine for 28 years. I have so much history and so much time/effort I couldn't imagine handing the keys over to someone else. The 180 mile original? I would be less emotionally attached to it.

I figure it's probably worth 35K to 65K. I couldn't see it going for less than 30K.

Back