1965 T-bird Coupe to save

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UEYnYghQ7PpaXkjF2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VcmMz4XOYIXgb36D2

Just brought it home yesterday and have started the clean out before the clean up.  need to get it running, but first have to get the nasty headliner down and the interior clean.  No sign of mice type pest, but there is at least one snake in the trunk that I couldn't quite catch today LOL

I'm falling for the old girl which is a really bad sign since I was just looking for a project to flip while building a more expensive Model T coupe

With the 2.80 rear end, she should be big fat and slow. . . just like me

Good luck and post some more pics as you go along. That year is my absolute favorite for T-birds. Not sure what your intent is, but IMO mags and tires and a well thought out stance are epic on this model.

Scott

Really thinking of cleaning it as much as I can. It is original paint. My general plan is to clean everything, replace the headliner and the vinyl top, (new top came with the car) repair the one large dent on the passenger quarter, replace all the vacuum lines, fix the driver side window motor and reinstall the regulator (Car came with a new power window motor) put a new battery tray in it and get it running. I've got the skirts and they are in good shape as well as 2 sets of clean hubcaps and the trim that isn't on the car in the pictures. I think of the car as a survivor and I'd like to make it roadworthy.

Engine compartment has some hose routing issues I will want to straighten out, will likely replace points with a pertronix, and the carb with one that is fresh at least while I go thru the one on it. It needs battery wiring cleaned up so my guess is that the starter wiring is also in rough shape. Just a lot of little stuff to clean and check until I am ready to try and fire the engine.

Jeff,

You are covered up in projects, lol.

You said Model T. Did you see the post I put up on Saturday about the aluminum hood on the 1915 survivor Model T that was at the local show? It had one of the Morton Salt Company salt mine car hoods on it. Ford made the all aluminum Models T for them to use in the mines. The owner was not aware that it was like the rarest thing in the world. This is a one family owned car since new.

David

That is cool David! I was familiar with the cars with aluminum, though I have never seen one.

The T- Coupe project is one that will be a hot rod as all I have is a shell and a custom frame and suspension at this time. Gonna mate a 348 and a 700R4 transmission to it along with a set of forged slot mags I have squirelled away. I have a lot of parts that will find their way into this project so it is going to be a slow, but hopefully not too expensive project.

My 73 is getting a fuel Cell and new fuel lines as soon as I can get back out to the machine shop and use their sheet metal brake for 2 remaining brackets

My Ski boat needs some reassembly, post engine rebuild, just need a tow vehicle to move it to where I can work on it and put it away and night.

I have the front end of my Buell white lightning for a brake rebuild and new cables

Harley is apart for a battery and speed sensor

Yamaha YZF 750 needs a bunch of plastic repair and a windscreen and a few bolts drilled out and replaced from being dropped before I acquired it

So with 7 projects in various states of completion, I am only lazy and bored when I want to be. I have a wrenching partner that teaches me how to do the things he is physically having trouble with that I help out on his projects and we are involved in a Jeep FC build for him and finished up his Model A rat rod last year, but are now going to jerk the engine out and build a stroker version of it once he locates a camshaft.

I need to quit my job and finish my projects ;)

Moving along, the engine turns freely. Haven't tried to start it as I am tackling some of the obvious issues and going through the brakes first. No point in running if you can't stop.

If I can't get the engine running due to some unknown damage, I think I'll throw an efi 460 and a 4 speed automatic in the car. Definitely will want to change the rear end ratio from 2.8 to something more liveable like 3.25 or 3.50 if I end up with the 460 and an OD auto. At 5000 metric tons, she'll never be a speedster.

Moving along, the engine turns freely.  Haven't tried to start it as I am tackling some of the obvious issues and going through the brakes first.  No point in running if you can't stop.

If I can't get  the engine running due to some unknown damage, I think I'll throw an efi 460 and a 4 speed automatic in the car.  Definitely will want to change the rear end ratio from 2.8 to something more liveable like 3.25 or 3.50 if I end up with the 460 and an OD auto.  At 5000 metric tons, she'll never be a speedster.
At 5000 metric tons, you're talking about at least 11,000,000 pounds!  I don't think even a 460 engine will get it to move much at all.  lollerz 

I think you meant 5000lbs, which is about right.

Back