1968 Mustang coupe - ex California car 289/auto SOLD!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Listing this for a good friend who's decided a late 60's Fairlane is more to his liking.

1968 Coupe, C-code 289-2V, C4 auto. PS, manual drums, turn signal hood and floor console. Car is originally from California and is very clean all around other than the floors, passenger door and battery apron. Car was brought to CT in the mid 80's and was garaged up until the last couple years. Windshield gasket leaks, so it'll need floor pans or patches. Battery apron has normal rust. Quarters, torque boxes, floor supports, frame rails, trunk floor and all the other usual rot spots are in great shape. Passenger door needs replacement or serious surgery. Only filler I see in the car is the passenger lower fender and the pass door. Hood needs a little work, but is saveable. I also see no evidence of accident damage or prior panel replacement. Trim overall is in very good shape, quarter and vent window frame chrome is nice with minimal pitting and weathering.

Factory VIN stamped engine is in place, and appears to be mostly original. I haven't verified all the components for correct numbers, but it's all there and hasn't been bastardized. Engine starts with a little bit of smoke indicating it'll need valve seals. Sounds good and will only get better the more it's run, it's a little cold blooded like any car that's been sitting. Has good oil pressure and holds steady temp with good coolant flow. Trans drops into gear immediately, fluid is clean and smells good. New fuel tank, sender, and filler hose were installed this summer. Has a Pertronix Ignitor conversion in place of the factory points. Car starts, runs, stops and will do lot drives. It's not registered and it hasn't been on the road recently. Brakes were done with new lines, hoses and cylinders about ten years ago. Car comes with most trim parts that were taken off, as well as a bunch of spares. See pics in the album below. Not shown is the console, the two original black buckets in bad shape, and another blue bucket seat. Styled Steel wheels are Ford originals, not reproductions.

The car obviously will need a complete restoration, but is an easy project for those of us used to rust belt cars. With some basic maintenance items and a set of tires, I'm confident you could be making it to your local cruise or cars n coffee in no time.

Dropping price to $7,000 asking, car is located in Killingworth, CT 06419

SOLD SOLD SOLD to a great guy in NY

Link to Google photo album with detailed photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TfBLXgXgYBsf14KF8

8R01C104822

Super early San Jose built car.

65A - standard bucket seat interior
I - Lime Gold paint
2A - black all vinyl interior
12J - Sept 12 scheduled assembly date
72 - San Jose DSO
2 - 2.79 rear axle
W- C4 automatic

1662132729284.png

:1662134154319.png

1662137069812.png

Last edited:
Perfect entry level car for sure.

It really is. Nothing "hard" about the work this car needs. If it doesn't sell, I'm going to work on him to put floors and an interior in it over the winter.

** price dropped to $7k **

Hey Dennis, I’d be all over this if I didn’t already have too many projects. Seems like a really good deal!

Yeah, it's an pretty rust-free car, floors aside. The money and time one will save by not having to replace quarters, trunk floors, taillight panel, fender aprons and other parts is significant. I'd work a deal with him but I'm out of storage space and need to sell our 65 coupe in the spring. He's just not in love with it and wants something different.

Yes Dennis, we here in the north have learned that a find like this from the south or out west is a huge advantage and head start. This is cheap money in my opinion for such a great start.

Back