1971 1972 1973 Mustang fastback wind down quarter window conversion (tutorial)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the instructions! i got a complete kit a while ago on ebay and now installed it. it worked out great following your instructions. special thanks for the hint about the washer, fitting the base of the roller screws. i also had to change the position of the lower rubber window stop.
Glad the instructions helped you kai233 !

This write-up now has over ten-thousand views - makes me wonder how many of those people have made the switch.

This write-up now has over ten-thousand views - makes me wonder how many of those people have made the switch.
Most are probably like me, just dreaming about it, I've looked at this thread several times. Someday I'll hopefully find the needed parts at a reasonable price.

thanks for the instructions! i got a complete kit a while ago on ebay and now installed it. it worked out great following your instructions. special thanks for the hint about the washer, fitting the base of the roller screws. i also had to change the position of the lower rubber window stop.
Glad the instructions helped you kai233 !

Brett, if you only had a dollar for every time someone viewed the post ... well that would be a lot of dollars. :p :p :p

New guy here. It was this post that lead me to this website. Just joined this week. Thanks for this info. I am looking for the window stops next.
Glad you found the tutorial useful Jon71. If you can't find the stops then I reckon in a pinch you could probably fabricate a pair yourself using slices of angle iron with a drilled hole to put a nut and bolt through.

New guy here. It was this post that lead me to this website. Just joined this week. Thanks for this info. I am looking for the window stops next.
Hi welcome to the site

PM me if you still need these

Does anyone have the components to make this happen. I am looking to buy and Im having no luck in the aftermarket selection. i did however find the regulators but am in need of everything else

Does anyone know if the convertible window parts will work for this or does it have to be the coupe parts? Thanks.

One thing I would caution you on is using a screw driver to pry on any glass is risky for sure. I would never put anything metal on a side window, windshield or rear glass. A tiny little chip and boom they are gone. I use the plastic trim removal tools of a wooden dowel ground to a wedge when I need something to pry with.

I swear by the Lucas Red N Tacky grease for windows, and anything that they used the old white grease on.

Great post will help lots make the decision to make them roll down.

I sure would like to convert my windows to roll down. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that Ford was to cheap to do this on the 05 bodies. Probably would have cost 10 bucks a car at the most, maybe less? Anything to save a buck I guess.

I sure would like to convert my windows to roll down. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that Ford was to cheap to do this on the 05 bodies. Probably would have cost 10 bucks a car at the most, maybe less? Anything to save a buck I guess.
I have all the parts you need to make that conversion happen

Now you see it

Now you don’t!

I did this today, well over the last few days actually, but this side is in. I had to clean up the stuff I got to do the conversion. I followed Flatback72’s instructions, except for installing the window back in the car. He said he tried for an hour to install the window with the roller plate on but couldn’t see any way to do it. Well I couldn’t do it with the plate off, I tried for at least a couple hours, but no way. So, I attached the plate with the rollers on to the window, unbolted the top two nuts that hold the guide plate, pulled that in a bit and got all the rollers in their tracks. Tightened everything after I rolled the window up, made a few more adjustments and got it really close to my liking. Window rolls up and down pretty smooth, but I still need to make a few more tweaks.

Anyway, thanks again Flatback72 for the pictorial of this! After I first saw how relatively easy you made this look, I have wanted to do it. Got the parts and it wasn’t to bad at all, even for me with a bum left arm. If I can do this then anyone can.

Looks good!
Thanks Milan, I really like it. I did the other side today. Test fitted the panel and all is good. Took a bit of time to get things lined up, but I got it rolling up and down pretty smooth. Very happy with the results and I can’t wait to see it outside! Time to call Don and order some new widow cranks. :D

post picture

Back