1971 1972 1973 Mustang fastback wind down quarter window conversion (tutorial)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the pics of your conversion jpaz, it's great to see some pictorial feedback that my tutorial has been useful !

I think this is one of the coolest mods that can be done to a 7173 fastback; it really is unfathomable to understand why Ford decided to delete the fastback hand crank option. Perhaps they thought that it was an incentive to get people to pony up with some more cash to buy the electric four window option instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the pics of your conversion jpaz, it's great to see some pictorial feedback that my tutorial has been useful !

I think this is one of the coolest mods that can be done to a 7173 fastback; it really is unfathomable to understand why Ford decided to delete the fastback hand crank option. Perhaps they thought that it was an incentive to get people to pony up with some more cash to buy the electric four window option instead?
That’s something I didn’t think about, maybe they were trying to get people to add the power window option. But I think some bean counter was trying to figure out how they could save a couple bucks. 

Anyway, thanks again for the tutorial you made, it really did give me the inspiration to do this. It makes the car look so much better than it already does!

(delete)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you see it

Now you don’t!

I did this today, well over the last few days actually, but this side is in. I had to clean up the stuff I got to do the conversion. I followed Flatback72’s instructions, except for installing the window back in the car. He said he tried for an hour to install the window with the roller plate on but couldn’t see any way to do it. Well I couldn’t do it with the plate off, I tried for at least a couple hours, but no way. So, I attached the plate with the rollers on to the window, unbolted the top two nuts that hold the guide plate, pulled that in a bit and got all the rollers in their tracks. Tightened everything after I rolled the window up, made a few more adjustments and got it really close to my liking. Window rolls up and down pretty smooth, but I still need to make a few more tweaks.

Anyway, thanks again Flatback72 for the pictorial of this! After I first saw how relatively easy you made this look, I have wanted to do it. Got the parts and it wasn’t to bad at all, even for me with a bum left arm. If I can do this then anyone can.
Anyone else have a problem viewing the images on this post or just me? I've tried three different browsers all the links to the photos in the OP appear dead. 

This is by far the best write up. Thank You Sir. I have a complete setup for the coupe from Ebay. I am going to change one thing and power the windows and hide the switches up front, thereby no cutting or drilling the interior panels. There are power window conversion kits for manual windows that I wish to try and not worry about sourcing the old pancake motors. Wish me luck. ;)

This is by far the best write up. Thank You Sir. I have a complete setup for the coupe from Ebay. I am going to change one thing and power the windows and hide the switches up front, thereby no cutting or drilling the interior panels. There are power window conversion kits for manual windows that I wish to try and not worry about sourcing the old pancake motors. Wish me luck. ;)

You are quite welcome sirtwig72, good luck!(y)

Back