• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971-1973 Ram Air Base

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
Looking for a ram air base in good condition ,oem preferred but not necessary.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, still looking!

I’m finding repro bases left and right. Prefer original though.

Still looking

Still looking

I have this base, it is an OEM Ford base, but it has a few difference from what a normal Mustang ram air base would have and that is the offset is less pronounced, the rubber seal lip is straight up, location of the emission oil breather port is on the left side instead of on the right near the charcoal canister port. I have yet been able to identify what car it originally belonged to.  I am willing to sell it.

The one on the left is the mystery base and the right is a 71-73 351C base.

I am not up to speed on the bases for sure. I have a couple but need for builds. Here are a couple pictures I took on parts gathering trips of different bases not for Mustang. There are numbers stamped on the flange that identify them but I do not have a cross reference. You need to be careful when you purchase you might bet a Mercury or Torino, 429 base and will not work or will not fit correctly.

David

Yep. That was my and others original thought too. That it belongs to a 72-73 Mercury Cyclone with a 429 Cobra Jet, similar to the one below. It has the oil breather port on the left side like mine, but I have not found other pictures of it without the rubber lid/seal to make a positive comparision.

72-73 Mercury Cyclone 429 Cobra Jet

Or a 1970-71 Mercury Cyclone 429 Cobra Jet (I suspect the flapper plate/lid is not a one-piece molded rubber with the seal, and is a metal lid and bolted to the base, but it is hard to tell)

Still looking for a Ram Air filter base.

Willing to purchase a reproduction, I don’t need the snorkel or lid but will consider all options. Thanks!

Back