1971 429 Mach 1 4 speed with Drag Pac

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Mecum auctions sends me notices on Mustangs coming up for auction. This one would be nice if they had just took the time to do it right. https://www.mecum.com/lots/PJ0618-329459/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/?utm_source=AAInfoNet+Master&utm_campaign=8ee20a453b-PJ18_S113&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa410e9114-8ee20a453b-112868689&mc_cid=8ee20a453b&mc_eid=29f6764cee

When I see the wrong shifter and no RPM limiter and a trunk mat thrown in just makes me wonder what else is way off. No pics under the care either.

I am not a 429 guy but I am sure some of you can pick this one apart. Does have some great options. I did not think they had Drag Pac in 71 but they say there were two blue ones.

In years past did not the drag pac have an oil cooler? Seems like the 429 did not have oil cooler?

So is Drag Pac solid lifters and rear gear?

Did they have sticker on air cleaner lid? I do not think so. The argent is also wrong on the hood.

I will watch auction to see how it goes. In Portland Or.

David

David, that might be a Bondo Queen with stop signs for patch panels, but man that that blue and argent looks good on the 71-73's!!

Agree, no under carriage pictures concerns me since it harder to hide defects and problems areas under the car while that beautiful slick paint job can cover a lot!

The Drag Pac was an option on the 429 cars and 3.91 or a 4.11 were the ratio choices. On the Mercury cars, Drag Pac was the call out for the standard gear and the optional ratio was refereed to as Super Drag Pac.

For some reason the engine oil cooler was not offered on the 429 Mustangs and Cougars. It was on the Drag Pac equipped Torinos and Cyclones. That's what I had to order for when installing an oil cooler on my 72 Gran Torino.

The Drag Pac cars were solid lifter engines, but also included a lot of durability items to help them live a little longer. (Or so the Engineers thought, they could of NEVER envisioned  just how hard my friends actually pounded on those cars)!!

There should be an engine governor, but I do understand that many were tossed ( one of the first things my friends did) and can be very difficult to find and very  expensive.

You'll see a lot of ram air lids with decals which is fine if that is what the owner wants. But the 71-73 ram air cars did not have a production installed decal regardless of engine size. The decals do look good and Ford did use them on other year ram air cars. One of the "Suits" at Ford probably figured they could save 2.5 cents on each car by eliminating the decal.   :)

Back