1971-73 chassis stiffening

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrobinson

Reaction score
My Car
My 13 year old wants to build a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first car. We have found a Grabber Blue with white interior base model 1971 Mach 1 to start on.
I was wanting to know if makes laser cut subframe connectors, torque boxes, or hidden chassis stiffening devises for the 1971-73 Mustangs? A roll bar or cage is out of the question, thanks. I used US Car Tool components on my 1966 Plymouth Satellite.

I went with Global West sub-frame connectors (SFCs).  A lot of people like the Tin Man and Shelby Underride SFCs.  I can't remember the manufacturer, but I remember seeing in Mustang Monthly a few issues back, a system offering a bolt-on "X" brace in addition with their SFCs.

A good set of SFCs along with a well-engineered shock tower cross member (aka Monte Carlo bar) should take car of most chassis issues without being 'visible.'

Subframe connectors really help alot on these cars, I can jack the car up from the front frame rail and the rear of the car will follow along nicely. I went with Competition Engineering but everybody has their preference, they are very well made.

Since TinMan subframe connectors are square it will give a more unmodified look (IMHO).

I went with Global West.   Here is what they look like installed.   You have to take a close look because I also have traction bars so it kinda looks like they go all the way back.

P1010300.jpg

I discovered they also make nice 'sliders' when I accidently drove over a curb.   It actually kept any damage from the rockers.  Whew!

P1010297.jpg

You can see pictures in 'my garage' under the 'modifications' tab too.

I have the same ones on mine.  Easy to install and don't interfere with anything.  Haven't used 'em and sliders yet, but I have jacked up and supported the rear of the car on them before (when changing leaf springs, and other rear axle tasks).  Solid units.

Back