1971-73 Mustangs: Why are they the least liked ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, you were the "Fonzie" back in the day!
LOL, thought the exact same thing, by the way Spike, love the Olds 442, I've said if I sell my vert, an Olds 442 is the next American car I'd buy, love the look of them.

I still remember the first time I saw a new style Mach 1. I was painting a house, near the top of the ladder, and one turned down the street a block away. Yellow Mach 1 with black stripes, spinning tires. It was sooo nice.

Summer of (1972)

I believe that I read somewhere that Ford purposely made the new Mustangs for '71 to '73 larger , so that they could more comfortably fit the new generation big blocks ( 429 ) into it. Makes sense, since the other manufacturers had big blocks in their musclecars, and the older FE series wasn't to be had in a Mustang. Had the Insurance Companies, Emissions standards, etc, not come into play just then, the 1/2/3 Mustangs may have had more time to prove themselves, more people might have had one, and they would have been more popular with enthusiasts. Definitely, the switch from the old "slave-cylinder push/pull" steering to the Saginaw, was a great steering improvement. The 302 had been an established engine, but the 351c had more potential, and is still a great choice for power. I believe the Boss 351 will outrun a 429 car, according to road tests of the day. In 1974, Ford changed the whole game for Mustang, for the worst until recent years, and the 1/2/3 Mustangs just became to be remembered as the "big" mustang. I'm keeping my '71 Mach 1 forever. it's a great car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just don't like to drive cars that look like the metallic hell spawn of a hammerhead shark and devil ray. Fine by me, I'm thrilled that Mustang "purist" collectors dislike 'em. I can steal one off of craigslist for $15k and feel like I'm driving a De Tomaso Mangusta.

was in a car show  last week end.people are starting to fall in love with the 71-73 lots of pictures and compliments
I have mine on display in my furniture store.  Most customers don't recognize the model, make or year but they love it.  People ask all the time if it's a DeLorean.  71-73 values are gonna skyrocket.

Our beautiful Model of the Mustang have not been the best wanted. But it is going to be one of those who actually will. Price will get higher level with time. Because of the few production numbers. I totally love them because they are the biggest Mustang of the oldest ones the best looking shape of the oldest [emoji173]️[emoji41][emoji106] Ford have actually been doing everything right from the start of the history. Ford have maby not been as valuable as others. But they have been doing it right price tag on the Mustang. People could afford it and they have sold in huge numbers right from the start. Which I actually say that it is also the reason why Ford could get true a huge crieses which has acurd Many time's. Because why make a high dollar Car which only are going to be sold in a few numbers. Which is going to die out at some point yes ofcurs on the paper 200000 dollars or more. But they are going to die out because you can't get parts. Those Car's have to be originally in all the way. Otherwise they will not keep the high dollar price tag.

Sendt fra min G8341 med Tapatalk

You can thank the automotive press and the 64-70 purists for the general hate of the 71-73 cars. They poo-pooed them up until the last ten years or so, then realized their beloved 64-70 cars had become to expensive to afford and started buying the 71-73s.

My best friend's sister when I was in high school had a black '73 Mach 1.  God I remember having a hoot cruising around in that!  I fell in love with that car and always wanted one.  A couple of years ago I got sick and had some pretty serious health problems, and decided that we do not last for forever and I better get one and enjoy it.  I did my research and decided that I wanted a j-code 71 Mach 1.  Combed the entire country to find one, but eventually brought my prize home.

I get positive comments and thumbs up whenever I take the car out cruising or car shows.  People come and drool all over it and tell me how nice it is and how their son, dad, brother, uncle, etc. had one just like it back in the day.  I can't tell from where I sit that there's bias against the 71-73's but I guess there probably is.  Much less bias for our cars than the Mustang II's.  Some 429CJ/SCJ's and Bosses are bringing north of 100K at auction for the right car & options, someone likes them!

I would hope the appreciation for our cars will continue to grow over time.

Relatively new here and just found this thread. I must be attracted to cars that don't get much love - I also have a 79 corvette that many in that hobby regard as worthless and not a "classic".

When I decided to look for a mustang, I looked at everything from 64 to 74 - And could not get past the 71-73, in particular the fastbacks. I don't care if I ever recover what I've put into these cars, but it would be nice to know they are appreciated by the public in general - And I believe they are, even more than so-called "market" prices indicate. Both of my cars get a lot of interest and appreciation - when I first brought the Mach 1 home, and was driving through town, I've had people stop me to talk about the car and how much they like it.

In both hobbies, I believe the market value is starting to rise. Good Guys' recent decision to include cars up to 87 indicate a rising interest in newer cars as well., they obviously felt obligated to recognize this trend.

Relatively new here and just found this thread. I must be attracted to cars that don't get much love - I also have a 79 corvette that many in that hobby regard as worthless and not a "classic".

When I decided to look for a mustang, I looked at everything from 64 to 74 - And could not get past the 71-73, in particular the fastbacks. I don't care if I ever recover what I've put into these cars, but it would be nice to know they are appreciated by the public in general - And I believe they are, even more than so-called "market" prices  indicate. Both of my cars get a lot of interest and appreciation - when I first brought the Mach 1 home, and was driving through town, I've had people stop me to talk about the car and how much they like it.

In both hobbies, I believe the market value is starting to rise. Good Guys' recent  decision to include cars up to 87 indicate a rising interest in newer cars as well., they obviously felt obligated to recognize this trend.
Me too, I guess.  Hey, I like '79 'Vettes, too. ::thumb::

I was at a small show once, parked next to a black vette. Guy walked past with his kid who wanted to sit in my mustang. How’s that for 7123 love?

How can the 71-73 be least liked.... ????

what about this POS 

Gorgeous isn't it? .. look at how the lines flow  and how it exudes quality to you

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to like the early fox body mustangs.
Me too.  In fact, my first car was an '82 GL hatchback - absolutely LOVED my car... (but that didn't stop me from drooling all over my buddy's red '71 M-Code Mach 1... or my other pal's '78 Z-28, or another friend's '72 Sprint Coupe, or someone else's '66 Malibu... or that awesome '69 GTO down the street, or the bad-ass '85 C-10 Silverado 4x4 my NCOIC had, or the '72 AMC Javelin at the salvage yard, or the '84.5 SVO I almost bought, or... I think you get the idea).

Back