1971 Boss 351 Theft Recovery

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Ran across this and thought someone on here might be in the market.

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/viewitem.asp?lang=en&itemid=998504

I didn't place under Classified since the auction is not active yet.

Must admit - I was just a little uncomfortable about seeing the dash VIN plate removed.

-decided to post pics to protect against link expiring...

245wl4z.jpg

33487fb.jpg

2vay5g2.jpg

9iqmb9.jpg

30ww8lx.jpg

xm4mz7.jpg

149s4ti.jpg

15xr436.jpg

2ltfr75.jpg

a32s15.jpg

zwzy41.jpg

b8nbt.jpg

23vf04o.jpg

67lh1v.jpg

30rxvna.jpg

1zwgsxe.jpg

zugwgj.jpg

That does raise some flags. Why didn't the owner buy it back when it was found? How many Boss cars came with a fold down back seat? The engine is missing the original valve covers. IDK how much research the police put into issuing an alternate vin tag.

it looks very right to my untrained eye, but the assigned vin will always be a red mark on the cars value. Still if I could get it for 20K, I'd find the money at the expense of some other toys etc. It is missing the rev limiter and the rain shield that should be on the passeger side shock tower.

The tag on back indicates Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL.

So I'd bet he is already looking to buy it back.

I would think the Vin is correct. Assigned VIN? How the heck would they even begin to do that?

It follows the same sequence as a correct VIN. More verification would be required to ensure all is OK. Valve covers, rev limiter and other minor details are relatively easy to remedy. Definitely pricey - but simple to correct.

Ray

I got a feeling there will be a lot of activity on this one. Funny, the auction listing says "no Key" but there is one in the ignition in the picture.

staggered rear shocks,31 spline traction loc rear end,a look at the axle hubs should be a the larger four bolt bearing pattern, maybe a tag is on the diffy should be 3L91,heavier leafs. that air cleaner lid does not look correct,check for a flex fan. might be a replacement hydraulic H.O. motor. could have been a clone under construction when stolen?also should have a flip open gas cap for 71

Last edited by a moderator:
That does raise some flags. Why didn't the owner buy it back when it was found?
The insurance company has NO INTEREST in giving the original owner back the car once it is found.

Our Mustang was stolen in 1988. My brother found it in 1997. He called the insurance company who took it from the poor woman who thought she had legitimate title. My brother never got a thank you, or the $1000 AAA reward.

Doesn't make sense to me. But, if I thought I could make money running an insurance company and putting such common sense policies in place, I would.

Couldn't find any info regarding when it was stolen, or anything else to confirm it was a Boss.

1. I think the BOSS had a unique "fat" damper. That might be a reliable indication whether or not the motor is correct.

2. Were staggered shocks just a BOSS option?

3. It should be easy to see whether or not the rev limiter was installed. I would think you would be able to notice a shadow. What does the rev limiter plug into? The mating plug should still be there.

The tag on back indicates Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL.

So I'd bet he is already looking to buy it back.

I would think the Vin is correct. Assigned VIN? How the heck would they even begin to do that?

It follows the same sequence as a correct VIN. More verification would be required to ensure all is OK. Valve covers, rev limiter and other minor details are relatively easy to remedy. Definitely pricey - but simple to correct.

Ray

I bought a Cleveland short block from Volo a few years back, i can get his number of the reciept if you would like.

The auction has finally started on this theft recovery Boss 351. Supposedly "stored since 1982". I wonder if it was discovered to be a stolen car, years later, and confiscated from somebody recently. You always hear of stories like that in the news, where somebody innocently buys and restores a car that was stolen 40 years ago, and the authorities come and get it. That would really suck.

The auction has finally started on this theft recovery Boss 351. Supposedly "stored since 1982". I wonder if it was discovered to be a stolen car, years later, and confiscated from somebody recently. You always hear of stories like that in the news, where somebody innocently buys and restores a car that was stolen 40 years ago, and the authorities come and get it. That would really suck.

Cool. It's already at $7500 in the bidding process.

Wow - so Boss 351s were pretty much just plain-old "1F02" cars with a a hot engine, rev limiter, different stickers, and all of the Mach 1 options (except the cool tail light panel trim and urethane front bumper)... yet the 'lesser' Mach 1s were "F05" cars. Interesting.

Seems like they should've been "1F05" cars from the start.

Well, actually, the Boss 351 didn't have the Urethane Mach I bumper, nor the flip down gas cap, nor the exhaust thru the rear valence, nor the Mach I interior, no honeycomb tail panel, and I am probably forgetting some stuff. The Boss 351 did share the same front grill and sport lamps, as well as the side stripes, but different tail stripe and different hood blackout treatment. No auto tranny option, and no air condition options allowed. Heavier front anti-sway bar too. The Boss 351 was more like a "1F02" street sleeper, and the Mach I had more bling-bling and luxury. I'd like two of each please...

Well, actually, the Boss 351 didn't have the Urethane Mach I bumper, nor the flip down gas cap, nor the exhaust thru the rear valence, nor the Mach I interior, no honeycomb tail panel, and I am probably forgetting some stuff. The Boss 351 did share the same front grill and sport lamps, as well as the side stripes, but different tail stripe and different hood blackout treatment. No auto tranny option, and no air condition options allowed. Heavier front anti-sway bar too. The Boss 351 was more like a "1F02" street sleeper, and the Mach I had more bling-bling and luxury. I'd like two of each please...
Yeah - but my point is that the Boss 351 is the 'creme de-la creme' of '71 Mustangs. It seems to me (just like with the GT-500 Super Snake), that they should've started with the high-end options and gone from there. They don't exactly start with a bargain-basement V6 model and just stuff a big-power drivetrain into them, after all [the Super Snakes, that is]. You could substitute just about any 'top performer' from any car manufacturer in there as well. Z06 Corvette, Z/28 Camaro, Firebird Trans Am, any Mopar with 'SRT-X,' etc.

Unfortunately, with the Boss 429 and Boss 302 from '69 & '70, the cat was kinda out of the bag. There's no possible chance of anybody seeing 'Boss 351' and thinking 'sleeper.' ;)

"1F02 street sleeper?!" More like "1F02 street sweeper." rofl

Yeah - but my point is that the Boss 351 is the 'creme de-la creme' of '71 Mustangs. It seems to me (just like with the GT-500 Super Snake), that they should've started with the high-end options and gone from there. They don't exactly start with a bargain-basement V6 model and just stuff a big-power drivetrain into them, after all [the Super Snakes, that is]. You could substitute just about any 'top performer' from any car manufacturer in there as well. Z06 Corvette, Z/28 Camaro, Firebird Trans Am, any Mopar with 'SRT-X,' etc.

Unfortunately, with the Boss 429 and Boss 302 from '69 & '70, the cat was kinda out of the bag. There's no possible chance of anybody seeing 'Boss 351' and thinking 'sleeper.' ;)

"1F02 street sleeper?!" More like "1F02 street sweeper." rofl
Gotta jump in here - just a little.

The Bosses were purpose built cars. And back then it was difficult to have full options and get serious performance. It was a tough balancing act for the engineers. Good example would also be the factory lightweights - stripped of most creature comforts like air conditioning and sometimes even power steering! Most Boss cars were not factory equipped with PS!

The AC stuff weighs a bunch, so power to weight ratio improves big-time in all cars by not offering.

Technology has come a long way in 40 years! The new high performance cars (and trucks) all equipped with nice amenities that just weren't practical for a performance contender during the 60's thru __?__'s. Now you can go 200 MPH and have PS, A/C and a killer audio system in the same car!!!!!!

Personally I like the plain jane factory performance offerings. Now I have to say some Bosses and other factory performance cars could be equipped with some (non-performance) options. But the owners knew they were sacrificing a little with each one added.

Ray

Back