1971 Correct Steering Wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdunlap

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 2 Door Sports Roof
White 351C CID 2V FMX Transmission Power Front Disc Brakes Ram Air AM Radio Console
Hi everyone: I had a (hopefully) quick question on the basic 1971 steering wheel.

I have a 1971 Mach 1 that has an aftermarket steering wheel, and I have been looking for a few years for one of the '71 stock/basic steering wheels. Last year, I came across a 1971 Maverick steering column - with the original steering wheel. I was able to get it pretty heap, but the steering wheel is not in very good condition, but I plan to find someone to restore it. It looks like the steering wheel I need, but I have not been able to find any part numbers or anything else that helps me to identify the steering wheel... Am I just missing the part number somewhere? I couldn't find a part or reference number on the Ford drawings... I just want to be sure I have the correct steering wheel before I send it in to be reworked... If no part number is there any other way to verify this is the correct steering wheel? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Steering Wheel.jpg
    Steering Wheel.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
This is an early 71 base model wheel. It has the round horn button/pad.

1677985546304.png

More pics here:
http://ponywarehouse.net/product/1971-boss-351-steering-wheel/

Compare the backside to yours.

Later, Ford switched the base wheel to be the type with the long wide horn pad. That is the type in the NPD link posted above. I'm not sure if the change in base model wheels happened during the 71 model year or with the introduction of the 72's.

I have a couple of brown Ford Mustang spoke steering wheels for sell, one is ok but needs restoration and the other is in better condition but it will need restoration as well. I have a friend in Georgia that restores steering wheels and does a good job. Some folks charge $500.00 to restore an original steering wheel

If interested, I’ve got a 71 style wheel that needs to be painted.

Attachments

• 2D11A3D8-E9D6-4C9A-84E7-4F11D782054B.jpeg
    2D11A3D8-E9D6-4C9A-84E7-4F11D782054B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D9F0709-0C60-4E9D-AB83-237162FF543B.jpeg
    6D9F0709-0C60-4E9D-AB83-237162FF543B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
The standard base model 2-spoke wheel was used only one year in the '71 Mustang and was a Pinto-sourced part. Ford used this style wheel in different colors on base '71-77 Mavericks and '71-80 Pintos, basically "Throw Away" cars. Besides the powertrain, little was salvaged when these cars were at the end of their life cycle, making locating used steering wheels in decent condition difficult. This type of steering wheel was not used in any Mercury vehicles, so there was no chance to snag a standard 2 spoke from a Cougar or Comet. The Mercury version of the Pinto (Bobcat) didn't appear until 1974 and used the deluxe two-spoke as the standard steering wheel. You will often hear these wheels referred to as Boss wheels since many Boss cars were ordered bare-bones as possible for racing purposes. Although a base steering wheel, when the word Boss is used in the description, sellers' eyes gloss over with $$ signs, and realistic prices go out the window when looking for NOS versions of this wheel.
The original part # for the black version of this wheel is D1FZ-3600-E, replaced by D2FZ-3600-R, with a final replacement of D7FZ-3600-D. The D7FZ version was discontinued in 1995, so it's been a while since Ford had these wheels in their parts system. There were no usable engineering ID numbers on these wheels. The deluxe two-spoke wheels had a screw hole on each spoke that the horn switch attached to. The standard base wheel had a center blow horn button, so there were no screw holes in the wheel spokes. This would be the quickest and easiest way to ID the two different wheels.
The emblem in the Mustang horn button was a red, white, and blue tri-bar with a running horse. This is a one-year, one-car-only part and would be like finding unicorn horn dust. The Pinto used a couple of versions of a kicking pony, with other models using a Sunburst design as used on the Mavericks.

When looking for used horn buttons, if possible, I would contact the seller to ensure the switch is good by checking with a multimeter when the button is depressed and that all the mounting lugs and metal tabs are not damaged. Many were broken when people tried to remove the horn button incorrectly.

I have included a few illustrations that will hopefully help you in your search.
#1 The base two-spoke wheel with the tri-bar and running horse horn button.
#2 & 3 are the two different pony emblems used in the Pinto line.
#4 The Sunburst style used in Mavericks and later in Pintos.
#5 The bottom side of the horn button. The circles indicate the metal tabs and the plastic area they attach to that I've seen most often damaged or missing.
1678038130524.png
1678039616551.png
1678039652535.png
1678039688566.png
1678039749494.png

This is an early 71 base model wheel. It has the round horn button/pad.

View attachment 74079

More pics here:
http://ponywarehouse.net/product/1971-boss-351-steering-wheel/

Compare the backside to yours.

Later, Ford switched the base wheel to be the type with the long wide horn pad. That is the type in the NPD link posted above. I'm not sure if the change in base model wheels happened during the 71 model year or with the introduction of the 72's.
That is exactly what mine looks like, This design was common at the time and Ford used the same two spoke steering wheel in several of its models back then including the Torino, Maverick, Pinto and their line of Mercury cars. The only difference is the emblem in the center horn cap. it should be easy enough to find one and it does not have to come from a Mustang. All the restoration places sell the center emblem.

This interior looks identical to my 71 coupe less the clock. Also my steering wheel has the pony emblem in it.

Back