• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 H Code Mach 1 Very Complete $4500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtdubvee

Reaction score
My Car
Boss 351
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1

351 Engine w/ Automatic Transmission

9 Inch Rearend

Very complete Car

Marti Report

Very Original

Complete Interior

Car turns over with power

Clear Title

Link to Pictures

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/mtdubvee/library/1971%20H%20Code%20Mach%201%20Blue

I have a very original 1971 Mach 1. Original Bright Blue Metallic Paint with blue Mach 1 sport interior option. The car is overall very complete and would be a great car to restore and get back on the road. Almost every piece is there.

The interior is actually in very good condition and its amazing how nicely the seats have been preserved. The entire interior is present which will make restoration much simpler.

The body of the car is overall not that bad. It has rust in the typical mustang areas. Floor pans, lower fenders, lower doors, quarters and outer wheelhouses, and the underside of the hood. The frame rails are in great shape front and rear, and the trunk pan is also in great shape.

Engine is a 351 2v with an FMX automatic transmission. It has a 9 inch rearend. When I put power to the car it does crank over. Everything seems to be present in the engine bay including the air cleaner.

In the pictures the car had two flat tires but those have since been fixed. Car rolls and steers just fine.

All of the glass is intact and in good shape.

Anyone interested can come and inspect the vehicle at almost any time. I will help with shipping the car overseas.

1 1971T Built at Metuchen

05 Mustang Mach I 2-Door Sportsroof

H 351-2V V-8 Engine1

Ford scheduled forproduction at Metuchen10/70 October, 1970

63R Mustang Mach I 2-Door Sportsroof

6 Bright Blue Metallic Paint, Ford #3077-A

5B Blue Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

25 Richmond DSO (District Sales Office)DEALER #: 25A503

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:-

351 Windsor Engine

- Mach I Sports Interior Option

- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Power Front Disc Brakes

- Bumper Guards

- AM Radio

$4500 slightly negotiable

Early 1971 Metuchen car equipped with 351 Windsor 2V?

Motor in car now - looks like a Cleveland - right???

351 WIndsor or Cleveland.jpg

Similar shot of 351 W

1969_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_351_Windsor_engine.jpg

Similar shot of 351 Cleveland (BOSS)

ccrp_1009_02_o+1971_ford_mustang_boss_351+351_cleveland_engine.jpg

351 C distributor pic

351 Cleveland distributor.jpg

Ray

Looks like a Cleveland to me. ::thumb::

Now - does it only "crank over," or does it actually run? (Actually, anything is better than "seized," like mine was). ;)

I ain't gonna lie, it "looks" about like mine when I bought it, although slightly better overall... but as some will remember, mine was like an apple that had worms - it looked OK from the outside, but once it started coming apart, it was a totally different story. I saw the very same things in mine that I'm seeing in your pictures. For instance:

• front foot well damage to the carpet and floor mat on both sides says "gonna need cowl and floor pan repair or replacement"
  • rust around the windshield is bad news
  • rust around the backlight says bad news for package tray and trunk
  • rust around the taillight panel is bad news for the trunk
  • rusty trunk lid is a new trunk lid and bad news for the trunk
  • rust around the wheel well openings says new quarter panels
  • water damage on interior quarter trim is bad news for rockers/rear torque box areas and floor pans
  • that kind of rust on the hood is potentially a new hood

My car had a lot of the pieces and parts with it... but the majority of them were so weathered, aged, worn out, or brittle that I had to pretty much toss it all out and buy reproduction replacements.

Mustang Monthly's value guide puts '71 H-code Mach 1s in category 5 (very poor, but running and drivable) at $6500.

If this car runs and drives, your asking price of $4500 seems fair. If it's not running or drivable, you shouldn't expect offers of much more than about half that.

Again, I'm not trying to simply pick it apart based on pictures I'm seeing on the internet... I'm just passing along what I learned with mine that was in outwardly similar appearance.

Good luck with it!

Early 1971 Metuchen car equipped with 351 Windsor 2V?

Motor in car now - looks like a Cleveland - right???

Similar shot of 351 W

Similar shot of 351 Cleveland (BOSS)

351 C distributor pic

Ray
Why do you assume it is a Windsor? Mine is a 71 H code that is a factory 2V Cleveland. They didn't even offer the 351 Windsor in 71. the only options were 6 cyl, 302, 351C-2V, 351C-4V, 351 Boss and the 429 series (CJ, SCJ)

Did you see something in the ad that I did not?

kcmash

The motor in the car appears to be a Cleveland but it was ordered with a 351 Windsor. Which I find odd, but thats what the Marti Report says.

Please post the Marti as they did not offer 351W in 71

The heater hoses coming off the water pump and the valve covers scream Cleveland. The heater hoses on a Windsor are split-up, one coming from the water pump, the other from the intake manifold, whereas the Cleveland's heater hoses come directly off the water pump (as seen in your pictures).

The Windsor's "factory" valve covers are the same height straight across, whereas the Clevelands have staggered heights and can be mounted on either side (which is why the front end of the driver side is higher than the passenger side, and the back side of the passenger side is higher than the driver side).

Since Windsor and Cleveland stuff is not inter-changeable, I believe you have a Cleveland. Could be a Windsor with Cleveland heads, but the water pump still says otherwise.

That, and what Don said. ;)

Here ya go guys. Im confident the motor in the car is a Cleveland. But here is the Marti.

1T05H135840_stdrpt_zpscok6yysx.jpg

Wow, either a mistake by Marti or it is a factory freak car

Well I wouldnt rule out a mistake because he sent me one report on a 68 T-5 Fastback I have and told me it was right hand drive, and then about 4 months later he emailed me and told me it wasnt after I had spent a bunch of money to buy all right hand drive sheetmetal and the labor. Still trying to get him to own up to that. Said he would take care of it but now he has quit responding. Makes me wonder how many peoples reports he has screwed up.

Well, two thoughts here:

1. Marti Report has a mistake. Which would explain the 351 Cleveland sitting in your engine bay.

2. Marti Report is correct, and a previous owner swapped out the Windsor for an H-Code 351 Cleveland to keep the "numbers matching" value alive.

Neither one seems any more likely than the other... especially with Marti's reputation. But - it happens, and unfortunately, option 1. seems more likely to me.

Hey thanks for being so interactive and available. Most people that do "drive-by" sales usually just drop a post with their "sale ad" info and bail. We appreciate your willingness to follow-through and answer questions. I hope you can get the right deal and buyer who will keep the car alive. If you do eventually make a deal, please let the buyer know about our site. We love getting new members and sharing information to keep the 71-73 community thriving, both here and in the real world.

As well, we'd love to get to know you a little better - if you don't mind, post up a quick note in the Introduction forum so we can properly welcome you. It sounds like you know quite a bit about 71-73s, and also care enough to get a Marti Report for a simple sale. ::thumb::

I want to say Mistake by Kevin Marti.

I have my Eminger Report (original Dealer invoice), so I then ordered a Marti report, and it didn't match at all what the invoice had.

I called him, and explained there was a discrepancy, never telling him what it was, and with in 2 hrs he Emailed me the report Identical info as my Dealer invoice, stating it was a software glitch!!

but as OMS said, 351w was not offered in 71' Mustangs and the Door tag says "H code Engine " which is a 351 Cleveland.

Welcome from a fellow West Virginian. Cut me a deal on one of the S Codes? ;)

Back