1971 M code 4 speed ram air coupe on E bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
OOhttps://m.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-RAM-AIR-4SPEED-A-C-17K-MI-/192413053280

So is it 17K or 45K mileage...more likely 45K. Some interesting features on it. Probably a real street sleeper in its day.

I realize lighting can play tricks but does that front driver's side fender look like its a different shade than the rest of the car on that side?

Fenders and hood were painted on a separate line, so there will be color variations, especially in a metallic paint as the particles will "lay" differently.  The color shift appears to be the same on both sides of the car, very obvious the the front angle shots. 

Anyone notice the lack of cut outs in the valance?

I had an opportunity to purchase a very similar car here in CT about 10 years ago from the original owner. 71 M-code 4spd coupe, black w/vermillion interior, 3.50 rear car (no a/c), manual brakes and steering. Guy was asking $12K, I offered him $7k, as at the time, that was about what it was worth and the restoration was a little rough. He wouldn't budge so I walked.

I have been watching this auction closely, reviewed the photos many times. I did  see the valance issue you bring up, but this has always been a hit and miss for me when it came to cars that got this option. I had an original condition '73 Mach1,  37K mi car, 351 Q Code with 4-spd, traction-lok, staggered shocks, rear stabilizer bar... It still had original Ford mufflers and h-pipe. It did not have the cutouts... I have seen many with and without, let me know how this was actually determined by Ford. I have heard many theories, but no facts...

The auction is interesting in that the car was bid upto $22K and then dropped back to 16K as someone retracted a bid... This is unusual and ehay only allows this under strict conditions. Mainly, that something in the add has sufficiently changed or was deemed inaccurate after the bid was placed. I have emailed the seller for the door data sticker info, other documentation info and undercarriage shots. He said he would put them up on Tuesday... not there at the time of my note here...

I would inspect the vehicle before placing a bid...

Last edited:
The trunk spatter paint seems to be the darker 72-73 color to me. Caveat emptor. Chuck

I guess I hit a nerve with the dealer as he has stopped responding to me the last couple days... I asked for the door data sticker photo, the Marti report, sales literature pics, of the under carriage and some assurances from him that the car’s overall condition was as he stated in the add.

Crickett’s...

Last edited:
Mike Calhoon (MJC Classics) got back to me by e-mail finally at 8:24am this am. He stated the car is sold?

Interesting, the auction add is still up and running...

Car went to a high of $26K on the auction site. I don’t think it reached its reserve based on how I interpret the add.

Last edited:
I don't know why the ad even mentions the Marti report or the original documentation if they are not going to show it.  If you have the Marti report why isn't it one of the photos in the ad?  If you are going to expect big money on an unusual car with interesting options then show us that it is original. If documented, then you certainly have a better chance of selling it to someone who knows and appreciates its rarity.

Like others have said, I don't like the way both front fenders appear to be a different shade of green. I don't think it's a lighting issue - looks like it's been repainted. What's with the weird F70-15 tire size?  If these magnums were original why wouldn't you get the F60-15 tires that came with them instead of this odd size.  Again, the Marti report would be nice to show here.  As for the "mint" black interior - what happened to that headliner?  Large stains are present on the drivers side - how does that happen on a 17K mile car that has been pampered? Seems odd that the air cleaner lid has no decals.  Not sure where those rogue red wires go running along the drivers side shock tower.

If it's original, it is a cool car.  I like the idea of a sleeper coupe like that - especially if it came from the factory that way. You just can't discern much based on the poor job of advertising the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the car is now for sale on sites such as Hemmings and I believe cars on line, for $32,500. 

Again, this same seller told me the car was sold when I inquired a couple times and while the auction add was still up and running. I don’t think he liked my very specific requests in order to better determine just what’s this car was. 

He has since added two underbody photos in these adds and based on my review and taking into consideration all of the other photos; I find it difficult to believe this is a 17K original mile car. It has manual drum brakes up front also also...

Show the Marti Report, show the door data sticker, show some of the other paperwork you claim to have for the car and if accurate, this car will sell quick. The seller appears to be going from sight to sight hoping someone will buy the car quickly with little review of the facts...

Be careful out there...

I don't know why the ad even mentions the Marti report or the original documentation if they are not going to show it.  If you have the Marti report why isn't it one of the photos in the ad?  If you are going to expect big money on an unusual car with interesting options then show us that it is original.  If documented, then you certainly have a better chance of selling it to someone who knows and appreciates its rarity.

Like others have said, I don't like the way both front fenders appear to be a different shade of green. I don't think it's a lighting issue - looks like it's been repainted. What's with the weird F70-15 tire size?  If these magnums were original why wouldn't you get the F60-15 tires that came with them instead of this odd size.  Again, the Marti report would be nice to show here.  As for the "mint" black interior - what happened to that headliner?  Large stains are present on the drivers side - how does that happen on a 17K mile car that has been pampered? Seems odd that the air cleaner lid has no decals.  Not sure where those rogue red wires go running along the drivers side shock tower.

If it's original, it is a cool car.  I like the idea of a sleeper coupe like that - especially if it came from the factory that way. You just can't discern much based on the poor job of advertising the car.
Steve, look fender bolt heads ...  those look like 5/16 to me, they should be 1/4 :chin:

I have been watching this auction closely, reviewed the photos many times. I did  see the valance issue you bring up, but this has always been a hit and miss for me when it came to cars that got this option. I had an original condition '73 Mach1,  37K mi car, 351 Q Code with 4-spd, traction-lok, staggered shocks, rear stabilizer bar... It still had original Ford mufflers and h-pipe. It did not have the cutouts... I have seen many with and without, let me know how this was actually determined by Ford. I have heard many theories, but no facts...

The auction is interesting in that the car was bid upto $22K and then dropped back to 16K as someone retracted a bid... This is unusual and ehay only allows this under strict conditions. Mainly, that something in the add has sufficiently changed or was deemed inaccurate after the bid was placed. I have emailed the seller for the door data sticker info, other documentation info and undercarriage shots. He said he would put them up on Tuesday... not there at the time of my note here...

I would inspect the vehicle before placing a bid...
Ebay talks a good game in regards to retracting bids, but it happens a LOT on pricey items like muscle cars. I personally have witnessed "successful Bidders" that didn't have the funds to follow through with the sale. The car subsequently was re-listed and the whole thing starts over again.

I bought a Ferrari Mondial Cab recently after almost a year long search. Ended up purchasing from a private seller in Texas, tons of documentation, had his own four-post lift for pics and vids, lots of cross references with others in the hobby (get togethers, club events). I followed cars very closely on eBay, BAT, Hemmings, Cargurus, etc. In many cases you are following the same car on many sites with such a targeted search. Anyway, I found that eBay plays fast and loose with these winning bidders. I want to say as many as 50% of the winning bidders backed out for one reason or another, and the car was relisted. There were some promising cars on eBay but I don't prefer buying in that format, too rushed, not enough chance to do all of the research, no PPI. Probably why some of the winning bidders backed out, and for others they perhaps never had their finances in order. I saw one car listed three times on eBay, and the winning bidder was the same person the first two times and he didn't have the money. The seller said he couldn't block the guy and eBay just let him relist. Even saw a few cars relisted on BAT. The best way to buy a car IMO is one that has never been listed publicly yet, which is thankfully what ended up happening in my situation.

Back