1971 Mach 1 Direction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrobinson

Reaction score
My Car
My 13 year old wants to build a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first car. We have found a Grabber Blue with white interior base model 1971 Mach 1 to start on.
First, I want everyone to know this build is for my son of 13, Justin. He wants a 1971-73 Mach 1 mustang as his first car. I have found a base model 1971 Mach 1 with 302 and 3 speed manual transmission. Since it could be a numbers matching car I would like to stay original looking while getting more performance and dependability. Should I go 347 stroker with original block and heads? If it is not numbers matching will a 5.0 Coyote fit? What are your thoughts?

First, I want everyone to know this build is for my son of 13, Justin. He wants a 1971-73 Mach 1 mustang as his first car. I have found a base model 1971 Mach 1 with 302 and 3 speed manual transmission. Since it could be a numbers matching car I would like to stay original looking while getting more performance and dependability. Should I go 347 stroker with original block and heads? If it is not numbers matching will a 5.0 Coyote fit? What are your thoughts?
The stock heads don't even support the 302 well so they really won't support a 347. If the block is not already way over bored, it should be a fine starting point for a 347. Unless you want to do a LOT of metal surgery the coyote is a no go (there is a thread here discussing the coyote build). A set of AFR 160 or 185 heads, depending on how much RPM you want to use, will work great right out of the box. I can also recommend the Scat 9000 crank and I beam rods for the stroker as well as Mahle power pack pistons. Your son is a lucky young man. Let us know what you decide to do. Chuck

I would make sure the car is running as absolutely well as it can, and drive it before making any major changes.

I'd also consider making sure the car on the whole is predictable with what it's got before turning it over to a young driver. Of course, I don't have kids, and I know you would obviously know more about what kind of a driver your son is likely to become - I'm just saying that in a general sense, starting out with an over-powered hot rod might not be the best step forward for a newly minted driver.

That being said, there are lots of things you can do along with the go-fast goodies out there capable of punching out more power from a 302, without resorting to a complete tear-down for a stroker kit.

First and foremost, I'd check the rear gears - if they're 2.75s or 3.00, you might consider bumping up to 3.50s for some more down-low power, keeping in mind that an increase in 'off-the-line' power will most likely be used on occasion. ;)

I would make sure the car is running as absolutely well as it can, and drive it before making any major changes.

I'd also consider making sure the car on the whole is predictable with what it's got before turning it over to a young driver. Of course, I don't have kids, and I know you would obviously know more about what kind of a driver your son is likely to become - I'm just saying that in a general sense, starting out with an over-powered hot rod might not be the best step forward for a newly minted driver.

That being said, there are lots of things you can do along with the go-fast goodies out there capable of punching out more power from a 302, without resorting to a complete tear-down for a stroker kit.

First and foremost, I'd check the rear gears - if they're 2.75s or 3.00, you might consider bumping up to 3.50s for some more down-low power, keeping in mind that an increase in 'off-the-line' power will most likely be used on occasion. ;)
Good advice here. Don't give too much power to a new driver. I had the experience of (indirectly) selling my first 302 Mach1 to a young driver who eventually killed himself in it. When I sold my 72 Q code 4 speed Mach 1 in 1991, I had 2 16 year olds (separately) come after it with the money I wanted, but I refused to sell it to them. I don't regret taking less money for it and knowing that those kids didn't die in one of my cars ...again.

You know your son better than anyone here. If you think he's responsible enough for the power, give it to him. That being said, high performance equals high maintenance. The coyote swap is a ton of work. 347s have a tendency to overheat, its gonna need a heavy duty cooling system. The 3 speed probably won't last long behind a 347 either, so budget for a beefier trans. All in all it'd probably be best to refresh what it needs and let the boy drive it. I'm sure he'll have plenty of fun.

Thinking more on this and adding to my earlier post, I would definitely make sure the engine is running reliably and as strong as it can be without spending tons of cash on it. There is a lot that can be done to pep it up and IF you can find a 4 speed box, that would be a good thing for the car. Where I would spend my money is on making sure the suspension, steering and brakes are upgraded. Certainly better disc brakes up front, power preferably, but even non power disc work way better than drums. ( we don't know what's in it now). Also beefier anti-sway bars will make a huge difference to handling.

There is a ton of stuff you and your boy can do together without unduly risking his life. The 302 has more than enough power starting out and way more than one of those "rice-rockets"

This is just one guy's opinion, its' up to you what you decide to give your son.

With best intentions,

Geoff.

Lucky kid!

Get it Running as good as you can stock, then maybe swap to a fox body 5-speed. Maybe a swap to a 4v carb?

My $0.02. I think a T5 setup from a Fox body is great because it wakes up the car around town and provides decent mileage on the highway with a stock motor.

Let us know what you decide!

Lucky kid!

Get it Running as good as you can stock, then maybe swap to a fox body 5-speed. Maybe a swap to a 4v carb?

My $0.02. I think a T5 setup from a Fox body is great because it wakes up the car around town and provides decent mileage on the highway with a stock motor.

Fox body 5 speed from a 5 Ltr (302) Excellent idea!!!

The stock heads don't even support the 302 well so they really won't support a 347. If the block is not already way over bored, it should be a fine starting point for a 347. Unless you want to do a LOT of metal surgery the coyote is a no go (there is a thread here discussing the coyote build). A set of AFR 160 or 185 heads, depending on how much RPM you want to use, will work great right out of the box. I can also recommend the Scat 9000 crank and I beam rods for the stroker as well as Mahle power pack pistons. Your son is a lucky young man. Let us know what you decide to do. Chuck
I totally understand the stock heads will not support big power. I am really more interested in building torque numbers than horsepower. I would absolutely be fine with 300-350hp on tap as long as the torque numbers are close to 400. This sounds way old school but actually thought about a mock Boss 347 with 351 2V heads. I appreciate your input, thanks.

This will be a complete restoration/restomod build with a 3 year time limit. We just finished his older brothers 1978 W72 Trans Am. It was a three year project started at age 13.

Lucky kid!

That is a great idea, thanks.

This will be a complete restoration/restomod build with a 3 year time limit. We just finished his older brothers 1978 W72 Trans Am. It was a three year project started at age 13.
I believe the term "lucky kid" applies again. ::thumb::

Sounds like you have a solid plan, and are a great father! Good for you, and good luck! :bravo:

Thinking more on this and adding to my earlier post, I would definitely make sure the engine is running reliably and as strong as it can be without spending tons of cash on it. There is a lot that can be done to pep it up and IF you can find a 4 speed box, that would be a good thing for the car. Where I would spend my money is on making sure the suspension, steering and brakes are upgraded. Certainly better disc brakes up front, power preferably, but even non power disc work way better than drums. ( we don't know what's in it now). Also beefier anti-sway bars will make a huge difference to handling.

There is a ton of stuff you and your boy can do together without unduly risking his life. The 302 has more than enough power starting out and way more than one of those "rice-rockets"

This is just one guy's opinion, its' up to you what you decide to give your son.

With best intentions,

Geoff.
Geoff,

I totally agree that most kids do not need a muscle car. I will say if they bust their knuckles and sweat building/repairing the vehicle they are more apt to be responsible with it. Case in point my first vehicle was a 1977 Camaro. My dad and I built from the ground up. It was a full interior street/strip car. It had a 10:1 compression 454/468CI BBC, Comp R308 650 lift roller camshaft, Torker II intake, 850cfm holley double pumper, Mallory electronic ignition with MSD 6A, TCI reverse manual valve TH400, TCI 3500 stall converter, and 4.10 gears out back. To top off the combination twin Holley blue pumps one to supply the engine and the other for the 250hp Magnum Plus nitrous system. Yes all that without a roll cage. The quickest pass was 11.27 @ 128mph on Pro Trac N50's back in 1985. I had an absolute blast street racing and going to the track with my dad. Yep I was that 15 year old punk kid that was one of the quickest street cars on the MS Gulf Coast in the mid 80's.

I believe the term "lucky kid" applies again. ::thumb::

Sounds like you have a solid plan, and are a great father! Good for you, and good luck! :bravo:
Thank you. This will be my first blue oval build. I am buying two complete cars one 1971 grabber blue Mach 1 302/3 speed manual and a 1971 fastback 302/automatic for parts. The Mach 1 needs floor pans and a trunk pan. I am kind of thinking old school 331 or 347 mock Boss with 351 2V heads or Aussie 2V heads.

I don't understand this at all. What a kid wants most is an old station wagon, van, or mini-van with fold-down rear seats that lie flat along with a mattress. That's what most boys are mostly interested in, and that certainly would make it a chick magnet. Any Mustang just doesn't have the room in back to do submarine races.

JMHO from days gone by...

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally understand the stock heads will not support big power. I am really more interested in building torque numbers than horsepower. I would absolutely be fine with 300-350hp on tap as long as the torque numbers are close to 400. This sounds way old school but actually thought about a mock Boss 347 with 351 2V heads. I appreciate your input, thanks.
I do not see the stock heads being able to support 400 lb/ft of torque either, in a 302 combination. You could get to 400/400 with AFR 160 heads, an Air-Gap intake, a reasonable cam, headers, and a good 600-650 cfm carb.

Old school is cool and old men rule. The boss 347 is a great idea in my opinion. Aussie 2V heads would be a a better choice due to combustion chamber size but the 351c 2v heads could be made to work well. Tmyer makes an intake (the old track boss) and AutoTec makes a shelf piston for the 3.400 crank and 5.400 rod. Headers are a challenge, I think FPA is the only company still making 69-70 Boss 302 headers. They are pricey but work well. Let us know what you decide to do. Chuck

With best intentions,

Geoff.
Geoff,

I totally agree that most kids do not need a muscle car. I will say if they bust their knuckles and sweat building/repairing the vehicle they are more apt to be responsible with it. Case in point my first vehicle was a 1977 Camaro. My dad and I built from the ground up. It was a full interior street/strip car. It had a 10:1 compression 454/468CI BBC, Comp R308 650 lift roller camshaft, Torker II intake, 850cfm holley double pumper, Mallory electronic ignition with MSD 6A, TCI reverse manual valve TH400, TCI 3500 stall converter, and 4.10 gears out back. To top off the combination twin Holley blue pumps one to supply the engine and the other for the 250hp Magnum Plus nitrous system. Yes all that without a roll cage. The quickest pass was 11.27 @ 128mph on Pro Trac N50's back in 1985. I had an absolute blast street racing and going to the track with my dad. Yep I was that 15 year old punk kid that was one of the quickest street cars on the MS Gulf Coast in the mid 80's.
Wow, that was some car!!! Hey, don't get me too wrong. You know what your sons temperament is and how they handle themselves. If you feel your son is able to respect that sort of power, then why not build something he will remember all his life........ which I hope will be a long one.

My own son had an 80's something Shelby Charger at age 16 and he handled that very well, no tickets, no crashes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Geoff.

I don't understand this at all. What a kid wants most is an old station wagon, van, or mini-van with fold-down rear seats that lie flat along with a mattress. That's what most boys are mostly interested in, and that certainly would make it a chick magnet. Any Mustang just doesn't have the room in back to do submarine races.

JMHO from days gone by...
Oh too true!!!

Back