1971 Mach 1 Walk-Around

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 - "Day 2" restoration; 351C/FMX, trick flow heads, roller cam conversion, CAA AC kit, upgraded springs/shocks & close-ratio steering box
I recently had my 71 Mach 1 detailed (a 1-step paint correction and a ceramic coating applied). I like the result, thought I would share it on here. The car is far from perfect, but the overall effect was better than I expected.

[video=dailymotion]

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had my 71 Mach 1 detailed (a 1-step paint correction and a ceramic coating applied). I like the result, thought I would share it on here. The car is far from perfect, but the overall effect was better than I expected.
The car looks great!

How about sharing some details on the 1-step paint correction?

Mike

Thanks - It was a pretty mild correction for the most part. I wanted to minimize the "spiderweb" effect and scuffs that inevitably surface on black. There are also a couple minor chips but nothing that jumps out. The detailer went over with (I think) SB3 correcting polish and buffed to a good shine - there was no sanding/buffing/aggressive work needed . I'm not sure what other details you want, I might need to ask my guy who did the hard work. He also cleaned and polished the wheels, trim, bumper, etc, and dressed the tires.

The ceramic coat is just to help keep the scuffs to a minimum. I think it slightly enhanced the shine too. The car still looks wet a day later.

Looks really nice.  Nothing like a black car all shinny.  Just so dang hard to keep clean and a little toastier in the summer.  :D
Yes, I often kick myself for getting back into a black car. that's why I took the leap on the ceramic coating, it is supposed to make cleaning a bit easier. As for the heat, that was definitely an issue last summer. Last July, my wife went with me to a cruise-in about 35 miles from here - we baked on the trip there, and she said "never again", unless I did something to make rides like that more comfortable.

So it had a positive outcome - That day convinced her that an aftermarket AC system was a worthwhile investment. As a result, I got my CAA system installed and set up over the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really nice.  Nothing like a black car all shinny.  Just so dang hard to keep clean and a little toastier in the summer.  :D
Yes, I often kick myself for getting back into a black car. that's why I took the leap on the ceramic coating, it is supposed to make cleaning a bit easier. As for the heat, that was definitely an issue last summer. Last July, my wife went with me to a cruise-in about 35 miles from here - we baked on the trip there, and she said "never again", unless I did something to make rides like that more comfortable.

So it had a positive outcome - That day convinced her that an aftermarket AC system was a worthwhile investment. As a result, I got my CAA system installed and set up over the winter.
I've had several black F150's and Explorers over the year.  Keep telling myself no more.  Still kept getting them.  Just loved that black. Finally bought a 5th wheel camper and ended up getting a "White" ram 3500.  Couldn't believe the difference in the cabin temperature during the summer. I'm about to finish my 71 build.  Car had a/c and everything is still in the dash section.   Missing everything in the engine compartment.  Debating on trying to get compressor and needed items or just go with a aftermarket system.

Back