• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Mustang 4 speed shifter boot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71JSCJ

Reaction score
My Car
1971 j code fastback
1972 q code convert
2 65 k-code fastbacks
I am looking for a shifter boot for my 1971 Mustang 4 speed car without console. Ford part number is D1ZZ 7277-B.

Email me at [email protected].

Thanks

Jim

Hope you find one I have one from a 1970 on mine right now. I got a factory OEM Boot brand new 7 years ago and it cost me $250. Haven't found another new one since. I refuse to install it because they are so prone to ripping out.

Someone send me a 3-D model and I will find a way to reproduce them. I need one too!

I am looking for a shifter boot for my 1971 Mustang 4 speed car without console. Ford part number is D1ZZ 7277-B.

Email me at [email protected].

Thanks

Jim
Have a picture? I have crate of boots.

Found an NOS boot. Thanks to everyone for your help.

OK now we need your help.

Post up some pics. Use a ruler to show dimensions.

Thanks!

Ray
As requested,

7-11/16" by 5-1/2"

ow9KmMz.jpg

ll4waKT.jpg

M4Yk2ZV.jpg

OK now we need your help.

Post up some pics. Use a ruler to show dimensions.

Thanks!

Ray

Can you tell me how you found your shifter boot? I would like one in any condition at this point, but I don't know where to find one.

Anyone out there have a 71 4-speed boot?
As requested,

7-11/16" by 5-1/2"

ow9KmMz.jpg

ll4waKT.jpg

M4Yk2ZV.jpg

Someone send me a 3-D model and I will find a way to reproduce them. I need one too!

Have a picture? I have crate of boots.
any luck?

Ray
Not yet. I have not had a chance to model one up with all of life's business. I wish I could find a model from Ford, but they may have gone straight from drawings.

I still want to buy one if someone knows where I can find one!

It would likely be a 3-part mold, with the inner form as one piece and split outer shell for the other. Will need the sheet metal re-inforcement inserted when molding too.(Flat part that covers the footprint.

Yep, If I could get a trashed one I could 3d scan it and print the mold parts.

What does everyone use as an alternative boot? The 70 boot? The B&M Replacement boot? I don't like the looks of the Hurst aftermarket boot. Much to gaudy for my tastes.

Kcmash

Far as I know, 3D printing materials use UV to cure until you seal the material. No sealer, and it'll flake to powder.

Thoughts?

-Kurt

Far as I know, 3D printing materials use UV to cure until you seal the material. No sealer, and it'll flake to powder.

Thoughts?

-Kurt
New plastic resins cure when they cool on a makerbot or other newer printers. So I could scan the boot, print it in a solid plastic. Use that plastic boot as a form and pour a resin around it(after applying a release agent. Remove the mold components and gel coat them for a smooth molding release surface. Pour the correct urethane in black into the mold, and see what we have?

I may try this off the round hole 72 boot I have.

Thoughts?

-Kurt
New plastic resins cure when they cool on a makerbot or other newer printers. So I could scan the boot, print it in a solid plastic. Use that plastic boot as a form and pour a resin around it(after applying a release agent. Remove the mold components and gel coat them for a smooth molding release surface. Pour the correct urethane in black into the mold, and see what we have?

I may try this off the round hole 72 boot I have.

I would really like to see one of these shifter boots done on a 3d printer. Conceptually it seems so easy but obviously that is not the case! I'm sure there are other 71-3 items that would benefit from this technology...

There are two 4-speed shifter boot versions - the 71's are different from the 72/73's

Any updates???

Thanks.

Ray

Back