1971 Mustang 429 CJ on eBay Needs Restore but love the options and color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
A real diamond in the rough, almost brings a tear to my eye seeing it sit out like that. I bought Mike's '71 429 Mach 1 with chassis number 190405 a number of months ago, and I still have to pinch myself each time I look in the garage. I'm seeing $30K easily there for a restoration job of this eBay car if it is done at a shop, considerably less for someone that has a ton of spare time and the expertise to do it. The value of the finished product would easily support it. There's a lot you can't see of course. Interesting that even the rev limiter is still there! Mine just has the mounting holes where it once was. heh

$6151 currently. What do you think a reserve for this would be? I have an interest but limited on the top dollar funds. If as high as I think it probably is, I could not afford it. But dang would love to have this for a good future project. Then everyone in my family would have a 71-73 Mustang (this one would be mine and the wife gets the 1972 Mach1 351-4V).

$6151 currently. What do you think a reserve for this would be? I have an interest but limited on the top dollar funds. If as high as I think it probably is, I could not afford it. But dang would love to have this for a good future project. Then everyone in my family would have a 71-73 Mustang (this one would be mine and the wife gets the 1972 Mach1 351-4V).
I don't know how much you have bid on eBay but most bids take place in the last minute. The last car I bought was the factory black 73 vert. I had done my research and had personally talked with the owner on the phone and ask lots of questions and got pictures that other bidders did not see. Forget the reserve set your limit and stick with it. The morning the auction ended I sat in front of the computer clicked the bid button and put in what I was willing to go for a maximum and watched the count down and at 7 seconds I hit enter. I got the car for $1,500 less than my max bid. You have to be sure of your computer speed and the internet connection you have. Be honest with yourself and figure out what the max you can go is and do the same. If you get it great if not hope for another. As a feel for who is bidding you can click on the number for bids and it brings up the bidders if it has not been set up as private. You can click on the individual bidders and eBay will give you the last 30 days history for the bidder. I could see by what they had bought that most were just there playing when the early bidding started. The last thing they bought was some clothes or music and nothing in the car market. I think it makes them feel good to just bid. You can also see if they got stuck on bids and had to retract their bid which happens if they bid too late.

Also don't put in even numbers. Say your max you will pay is $23,000, put in $23,036.37 or something odd. You might get it for the .37 extra. Serious bidding on eBay is a competition of getting inside the other bidders heads and knowing who you up against.

If the competing bidder has bought several cars recently you know he is serious. If he has bought little things don't be concerned about him or her they are just playing.

There are companies that will do the last second bids for you but I don't see a benefit just determine your max. enter the amount and bid in the last seconds and let eBay increment your bid. I have got my last two cars using this type of bid. If I were younger I would bid on it but too many projects already. Got to find counseling to stop buying, lol.

I just went and did a scan of the bidders one of the early bidders has bid on dozens of cars of all different brands so you know he is playing for sure. There are maybe two serious bidders that have bought lots of stuff on eBay.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always just call the seller or ask a question if there is no number. I would just send them your phone number and talk to them. It's how I bought my last car without even bidding. Sometimes that just works out.

Also, looks like the spoiler is on backwards! Offer less for that!! Ha[/font]

Thanks for posting this opportunity as I missed it. This is a local car for me so I took a look at it. the car does need a complete restoration. The shock towers and inner fenders are rusted through. The drivers floor needs replaced. The trunk and tailights are rusted through as well. The interior has been home for at least one mouse. The door panels need replace. I did not bring any tools to manually crank the engine so I cannot confirm it turns. The shifter was was stuck. Fuel tanks was still leaking some gas. The fenders, doors and lower rear quarters are bondo filled. It has been sitting for many years some indoor some outdoor covered.

Well 4 hours before close and the bid is at $9,800. Thanks General for the update. Based on your observations of the rust in the shock towers and inner fenders, I am going to pass. Would love to get a 1971 429 car, but I have to be realistic and continue working on my 1972 Mach 1 and then my 1973 Grande coupe.

Back