1971 Mustang billboard sign

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen that before very cool. I still don't understand why Ford where worry about the European car makers in 71. They should have been worried about the Japanese car makers.

John J

Nice!

I don't think they were worried about the European car makers but they probably thought that European cars were more sophisticated and more appreciated by car enthusiasts and wanted to give their cars a more European character.

I must say though that I am used to European cars and that there is nothing European whatsoever in that design, which I think is a good thing by the way.

European imports at the time were mostly refined luxury cars or sports cars, expensive stuff.

Advertising the Mustang as a contestant to those put it into a higher category than the cruder, down to earth American competitors.

Doctors and lawyers and discerning drivers would drive Jaguars, Mercedes, BMWs or Italian sports cars (or Cadillac or Lincolns).

By advertising the Mustang that way, it implied that you would appear classier and more sophisticated than the average buyer.

Plus European sports cars were known for their speed and handling. The latter was something that American cars at the time were usually lacking.

So at the time, I guess, that marketing strategy are sense.

I'd take almost any American car, crude or not, over mostly any European car from that era though.

The 71/73 Mustang was designed in the late 1960s and everything about the design including the long bonnet, the fastback and it's size says muscle car. So the marketing department must have had a screw loose to think the car had anything to do with the European car market. It didn't look like any European car of the time, except maybe the Aston Martin DBS? But William Towns design for the DBS was inspired by the Mustang!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also never seen this one before. To say it is a challeng to the Euro cars is a leap of faith that landed short. I see why they did it though...to raise the class and sportiness level of the product through comparison - even if it was a faulty comparison. lol

That picture is so wrong - there is no way there is that much visibility out the back window. :p

That picture is so wrong - there is no way there is that much visibility out the back window. :p

There must of been an optional large rear window that didn't get ordered on mine. I have the standard Gun turret slit. :D

I've seen that ad in magazines but never on a billboard. I wonder if my neighbors would complain if I had something like that in my yard!! Hmmmm :)

I have a Ford Merchandising package that was sent to the dealerships. I see that ad listed as 'outdoor advertising'.

The print I have is in black-and-white.

Crazy cool to see the real deal.

Ray

That is exactly as my '71 Mach 1 came from the factory. ( Although mine is Medium Yellow Gold )I have a Marti Report for my car that says it was delivered to Russ Davis Ford in Covina, California. It was shipped with white sidewall tires and standard Mach 1 10" hubcaps with beauty rings. I still run the hubcaps and 'rings.

I had big sideburns like the guy in the Ad back in '71, as was the style back then!

Re: Big sideburns in 1971...me on the left.

family photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly as my '71 Mach 1 came from the factory. ( Although mine is Medium Yellow Gold )I have a Marti Report for my car that says it was delivered to Russ Davis Ford in Covina, California. It was shipped with white sidewall tires and standard Mach 1 10" hubcaps with beauty rings. I still run the hubcaps and 'rings.

I had big sideburns like the guy in the Ad back in '71, as was the style back then!

Re: Big sideburns in 1971...me on the left.

Cool pic.

That dealership was very well known for its performance heritage.

Russ Davis Ford.jpg

Ray

I might be going crazy but I think that billboard, or one just like it stands outside the Wellborn Muscle Car M u seen in Georgia. It was almost 2 years ago that I was there though so I can't swear to it.

I might be going crazy but I think that billboard, or one just like it stands outside the Wellborn Muscle Car M u seen in Georgia. It was almost 2 years ago that I was there though so I can't swear to it.
Maybe one of our members in Georgia could check it out if they are near that museum location? I could be wrong and it might be photoshoppped. But the ad is EXACTLY as Ford instructs dealers to use for their 1971 Mustang outdoor advertising campaigns.

Ray

Back