1971 MY Strut Rod Crossmember Recall/ TSB Information?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 J Code Mach 1
1972 H Code Mach 1
There has been mention of a recall or TSB from Ford for some 1971 cars to add welds to the strut rod crossmember.

My 71 has some serious popcorn going on where the cross member ends meet the front frame rails- Could this be a result of this TSB?

Does anybody have any info about this, what production dates were affected, examples of repaired cars etc.?

Thanks!

Thanks for that.

Here is what mine looks like, I wonder if this is a result of the TSB or something else. My build date was the second week of September.

No.2 Cross Member Welds.JPG

Mine looks just as bad. It's a Dec '70 Metuchen built car, so it's well past the original 15xxx units in the recall. My guess is they implemented a revised welding process, just the welding was horrible regardless.

1654700906421.png

Mine had that type of bugger welds too I thought it might have been caused by an accident repair. I rewelded and cleaned it up a bit when I refinished the engine compartment. Oops, maybe I should have left alone.

Mach 1 135b (3).jpg

Back