1971 Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG42

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Q code mustang
Hello to all new member here so I will give a little info about my quest that led me to this car.

I set out to replace a 1970 yellow 4 speed m code gt torino like I had in high school. I went through the wanting a 429 cobra and all that instead of just looking for an m code. Prices are through the roof and looked at a few of them. But I have always had a thing for the mach one's. So to not make long story longer. I happened across this mach one and road out last weekend and im buying it.

2015051395172822_zpsapmcoi3s.jpg

Yes it really is a 71 Q code and not only that but its a 4 speed ram air car with 3.50 traction lock and ac. Im buying it for 26k. Im probably paying a little to much but I think its a really rare find. Its all original with one repaint.

Ed

Yes it really is a 71 Q code and not only that but its a 4 speed ram air car with 3.50 traction lock and ac. Im buying it for 26k. Im probably paying a little to much but I think its a really rare find. Its all original with one repaint.

Ed
That is really cool. I'm pretty sure nobody on here has one, and I have never even heard of any in the wild until now.

One thing though, is it factory AC? I ask because you mention 3.50 traction lock but all factory AC cars came with a 3.25 traction lock. Either the AC or rear end isn't original to the car. Do yourself a favor and order up a Marti report.

Im waiting on the elite marti report. That is what I thought as well. I do have the original build sheet and the ac is factory. The door sticker has A listed for the axle.

Axle code A is 3.50:1 conventional. Chuck

EDIT: The 1971 Facts book states if AC was ordered, a 3.25:1 axle was mandatory with the CJ. I'd be asking to verify VIN before money changing hands. Chuck

Axle code A is 3.50:1 conventional. Chuck

EDIT: The 1971 Facts book states if AC was ordered, a 3.25:1 axle was mandatory with the CJ. I'd be asking to verify VIN before money changing hands. Chuck
For sure, be extra careful on this one. Being that 71 Q codes are almost non-existent and we have a clear discrepancy with the AC and rear end. Red flags to be sure, but I'm hoping it checks out. You would be the only known owner of a 71 Q code!

Okay so I got my pdf elite marti report on the car tonight.

You guys were right that it was ordered with an A code 3.50 conventional axle. But you were wrong that they were not ordered together because it clearly shows they were. It is 1 of 29 cars with this engine and transmission code. Ed

That is very interesting, to say the least. I have never seen an AC car from the factory come with anything other than a 3.25. All Ford lit states that ratio as mandatory when AC was ordered. Certainly to keep RPMs lower to avoid damaging the compressor.

So are you going to upload the report? This is exciting stuff here!

I can't figure out how to post a pdf file and my photobucket account wont let me upload a pdf. I printed a copy of it at work and will take a picture of it. She should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Ed

On the 3.25 rear. I ordered my 73 and it had the 3.25 rear traction loc. After breaking 3 of them in 4 months the Ford factory rep came to the dealership and reviewed the car. As soon as he walked under the car on the lift he just said. It came from the factory with the wrong size U joint & drive shaft. That was why the yoke was breaking. It is a 4 speed car and the guys at the dealership knew that I was really tough on a car but never said a word about not fixing it. The factory rep also told them to put a 3.50 in the car instead of the 3.25 and I did not break another one. They also changed the drive shaft to the bigger joints. The factory rep said since the car was made late in the build that they probably did not have the correct rear and just put in what they had to get it down the line. As far as over revving the compressor that belt was the first thing to come off when I got home when brand new, needed that extra 5 hp., lol.

I would not be surprised or question about anything coming out the door back then.

David

Here is the Marti report on the car. I called them and asked why the functional ram air was not listed and they said that the 1971 Q code cobra jet engine came with functional ram air and the Q signifies that. Also thought it was odd that it has the tapped holes for a rev limiter? Did all the engine bays have that?

Thanks again for everyone imput.

Ed
20150526_095644_zpsitmzywnh.jpg

Here is the Marti report on the car. I called them and asked why the functional ram air was not listed and they said that the 1971 Q code cobra jet engine came with functional ram air and the Q signifies that. Also thought it was odd that it has the tapped holes for a rev limiter? Did all the engine bays have that?
Very interesting and VERY, VERY cool. There are some unusual items missing in the "Ordered with the following features" section.

I don't recall ever seeing a Marty where the Functional Ram Air was not called out on a the Marti. So based on your findings all 71 Q-code came with functional Ram Air. very interesting.

The report also does not say "Optional Axle Ratio" which implies that the 3.5 conventional was the standard axle for the Q-code, 4 speed cars.

Even still the report does not say "Four-Speed Wide Ratio Manual Transmission". Very interesting. Either Kevin Marti has tweaked his reports or we have a new standard equipment package for the 71 Q-code cars.

I like the Marti Reports but due to these type differences from one report to the next I don't put 100% faith in what he says is gospel...only 98% faith.

Congrats and welcome to the site!

There is a fair amount of info out there regarding the M vs Q code. Best I can tell is the only difference is the Ram Air as mentioned. Curious that several of the engine tables as seen below call out the difference, but engine stats are the same.

The total produced was actually 108 as there was 66 autos and 42 manuals.

1971 engine displacement, type, carburetor type, VIN code max. motive power at rpm max. torque at rpm

351 cu in (5.8 L) Cleveland V8, 4-barrel Autolite 4300A, M-Code (w/o Ram Air) 285 bhp (213 kW; 289 PS) @ 5,400 370 lb·ft (502 N·m) @ 3,400

351 cu in (5.8 L) Cleveland CJ V8, 4-barrel Autolite 4300A, Q-Code (w/Ram Air) - late-1971 only, replaced M-code 285 bhp (213 kW; 289 PS) @ 5,400 370 lb·ft (502 N·m) @ 3,400

I did a quick look through the Marti Reports that I have and here's what turned up concerning the axle ratios in terms of 4-speed cars and if Marti calls out the ratios as optional or not (exact wording as shown on the Marti Reports)...

71 M (build date 1/20/71), 3.50 Traction-Lok.

Optional Axle Ratio mentioned in the "Ordered with the following" section.

Four-Speed Manual Transmission called out in the "Ordered with the following" section.

71 Q (1/29/71), 3.50 Conventional Rear Axle.

No mention of ratio in the "Ordered with the following" section.

No mention of Four-Speed Manual Transmission in the "Ordered with the following" section.

72 Q (1/6/72), 3.50 Standard Axle.

Four-Speed Manual Transmission called out in the "Ordered with the following" section.

72 Q (3/9/72), 3.25 Standard Axle Ratio.

72 Q (8/2/72), 3.50 Conventional Rear Axle.

Back