1971 Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for all the info on the car. I am super excited to get it!!

2015051295103948_zpsydiksma0.jpg
I think you just found your new avatar. :cool:

Let me know if you want to change your user name to MG42 - 71Qcode, MG42 - 1F05Q or some variant. ;)

Man, is that a time capsule, or what? That is truly a sight to behold. More pics!!!

Don brings up an interesting point, the 3.50 ratio must have been mandatory on the 71 Q Code, which might explain why it's not the standard 3.25 with AC. Very interesting Marti report right there.

FYI, my 71 M Code also has the tapped holes for a rev limiter. I don't think that's much of an issue or a big deal.

I also noticed that it was actually built on 7/29/71 which make it among the last of the 71s that were produced.

Ed, see if the engine tag is still present.

That air cleaner decal was used on 69 Shelby 428. Maybe added? Interesting.

I will check to see if the engine tag is still present.

The pics he sent me of the care are really bad. It will be here Thursday morning so I can take some good ones.

Dave I wonder what was on the air cleaner from the factory and has anyone seen an original to say for sure.

It was a cobra jet engine with ram air.

Ed

Man, is that a time capsule, or what? That is truly a sight to behold. More pics!!!

Don brings up an interesting point, the 3.50 ratio must have been mandatory on the 71 Q Code, which might explain why it's not the standard 3.25 with AC. Very interesting Marti report right there.

FYI, my 71 M Code also has the tapped holes for a rev limiter. I don't think that's much of an issue or a big deal.
My Dec 1970 built M code - ram air - c6 - 3.25 locking rear convertible has holes for the rev limiter also. I wondered about this but agree it is probably not a big deal.

- Paul

No I think im the third owner.

I don't know if it helps you guys or not but I have the original build sheet on the car.

She is on her way.
2015-05-27%2018.10.50_zpsrnjoi4bf.jpg

Cool. Congrats! Post the build sheet in the Marti reports section or post it in both this thread and the Marti section

The Marti forum is a nice centralized place for this type documentation.

Wow, this car will either be a complete mystery to all of us, or an excellent find! Either way, its gonna be an awesome car! Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to seeing more pictures!

Folks,

This looks like another case where the Car Facts binder and actual Ford assembly plant practices disagree.

Of the 79 Mustang Mach 1's with Q-code 351CJ Ram Air engines built during the 1971 model year, ALL of them had a 3.50:1 rear axle ratio. 52 of these 79 had the A-code rear axle (indicating a 3.50:1 non-locking unit), and 27 of the 79 had the S-code rear axle (indicating a 3.50:1 locking unit). The presence (or absence) of factory air conditioning made no difference, nor did the transmission type (4-speed manual or C6 3-speed automatic). Here are the build numbers broken down:

1971 Mustang Mach 1's with Q-code 351CJ Ram Air engine: 79

1. Toploader Wide Ratio 4-Speed Manual Transmission (TRNS 5): 29

a) 3.50:1 non-locking (AXLE A): 17

- non-A/C: 9

- A/C: 8

b) 3.50:1 locking (AXLE S): 12

- non-A/C: 11

- A/C: 1

2. C6 SelectShift 3-Speed Automatic Transmission (TRNS U): 50

a) 3.50:1 non-locking (AXLE A): 35

- non-A/C: 14

- A/C: 21

b) 3.50:1 locking (AXLE S): 15

- non-A/C: 10

- A/C: 5

MG42, I believe that your new car has the following VIN and production data:

VIN 1F05Q227226, DATE 07/71, BODY 63R, COL C, TRIM 5R, TRNS 5, AXLE A, DSO 24

I hope that this information proves to be interesting to the group.

Yours in old Ford iron,

Adrian

Yes Adrian thank you for the information and time on the new car as I would like to know as much as I can about it.

Is it true that the 71 Q coded cobra jet engine came with functional ram air as well?

Ed

Yes Adrian thank you for the information and time on the new car as I would like to know as much as I can about it.

Is it true that the 71 Q coded cobra jet engine came with functional ram air as well?

Ed
From what I have learned through Adrian - ALL of the 1971 Mach 1 Q code cars had functional ram air. Ford had planned for all of the Q codes to have it but because of the 'emissions certification problem' the 4V motors were not allowed to have functional ram air after early 1972 model production. Some earlier 1972 Q code cars did have it. I believe the changeover date to be somewhere around Jan 1972. (not positive)

Ray

Hello all its been a wile since I have posted here. I got my elite Marti report on my car and it states out of the 29 4speed 1971 Q codes. Mine was the only green one made.

Ed

20160528_115810_zpsaqzfvbos.jpg

Back