1972 351c temp problem not ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1

Hello All 

I am having a strange problem while driving today the temp gauge went to the Hot after checking under the bonnet all looked ok so went to drive away and notice lights on up to Hot , lights off back to middle great normal temp . 

Any ideals what's happening between lights and temp gauge  .

any info would be great Thanks Nige

I had a similar issue a couple years ago.  While driving the temp gauge went to hot.  When I pulled over to check the gauge went to normal.  Drove again and it went hot.  Again, normal while at idle.  Long story short,  I had forgotten to reattach the chassis ground to the fender apron below the voltage regulator.  At rest it was touching the apron and grounded and the gauge was good. While driving it would swing away and lose ground and the gauge went hot.

It could be the temp sensor going bad or perhaps someone installed it using Teflon tape, which will cause a bad ground (earth in UK speak). Use a conductive thread sealer. 

Hello All 

I am having a strange problem while driving today the temp gauge went to the Hot after checking under the bonnet all looked ok so went to drive away and notice lights on up to Hot , lights off back to middle great normal temp . 

Any ideals what's happening between lights and temp gauge  .

any info would be great Thanks Nige

99% chance it's a grounding issue. Clean the battery to apron to block ground connections and inspect the cable. 

Hello All

Thanks for the reply's and info will check earths and if no joy put new sender in .

Thanks Nige 

Back